Old February 6th 08, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_2_]

Default OT-Seed Cake was .... Time for another Roll Call?

Thanks Di.That will be interesting

Dee in Oz

"DiMa" wrote I
I once had opium poppies grow 3 feet tall - I saved the seeds and threw them
into the garden and not one flower germinated. I have a pic somewhere
with my DD standing beside them. Will dig it out and put a link to it.

Di
"Dee in Oz" wrote in message
Just joking Jeanne :-)
I think opium poppies are only grown in Tasmania, but I have known to be
wrong before...

Dee in Oz

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
be sure they are the right kind of poppies.
there is only one kind of poppy seeds you can use to bake with the
others are toxic.
its the seeds from the opium poppy oddly enough.
in the usa the growing of those poppys is strictly monitored by the govt
apparently.
this was just info i found online. you might find otherwise and it might
be different in oz as well.
beats heck outta me,
j.

"Dee in Oz" wrote...
She may have done but for some reason I when Amy said that the seeds
are put 'in' bread I was thinking alson the lines of caraway seed not
poppy seed. Poppy seed cake isn't common but as you saw it is available
Every year I get poppies coming up in the garden, considering the
number of seeds that I throw back in the garden maybe I should save
them and make a cake....lol
Dee in Oz

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/sear...e&publication=
poppy seeds perhaps, Dee.
those little teeny tiny black seeds. sometimes seen on top of breads,
muffins etc.
just did some googling and reading on this.
the seeds were used in ancient greece for athletes to boost their
energy, hmmmm.
seems the baking seeds do indeed come from the opium poppy.
other poppys seeds are toxic.
also you can apparently toss the seeds you buy at the supermarket
into the soil in autumn for flowers the following spring/summer.
what you do with all the seed pods harvested could be interesting.
in usa growing them is under strict control and illegal by private
citizens.
gee, i wonder why, lol. )
poppy seeds can have an effect on the results of tests done on
athletes after competition.
i dont have the details tho.
j.