Old September 17th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default rolling mill questions

ted frater wrote:

This one is something I can help you with.
Putting it simply, a rolling mill makes metal thinner IN the direction
of the rolling.
IE your 1.2mm wire will go down to the thinness you want BUT wont get
any wider!!.( ok I know there will be someone who will say it actually
does get wider by about 2/4 %)

Not true! Ted, there you go again! Once again you speak of things you do not
know about, a bit too soon. Why don't you do a test and roll down a piece of
1.2 mm wire and roll it down to .2 mm (you probably do not have a mill that will
do .1 mm accurately) for instance, and see for yourself what happens. 2 to 4%?
I don't think so.

Precious metal wire that gets rolled down in thickness will widen considerably.
I do it all the time for a number of my production pieces, where I make
rectangular cross section wire from square wire. For one particular piece I
start with 1.5 mm square wire, and end up with wire that is approximately 1.15 x
1.8 mm. By my calculation, that is a 20% increase in width!

I have a table in a German training book for goldsmiths, that lists the
thicknesses and widths one will end up with for a number of square starting
stock. Comes in very handy from time to time. If there is interest, I can scan
the page, and put it on my site for a few days.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com