Old November 16th 04, 04:42 AM
dnmgiordano

....snipped
Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
Should I get a sewing machine or a serger?

Do I need both or just
one? sewing books ?

copy my current garments, or is that too complex Thanks!!!

Jacqueline

A sewing machine is a must! unless you don't want finished hems, necklines,
etc.

I like the readers digest complete guide to sewing as thats what I learned
from (and all I own unfortunatly). There is a new edition in stores now,
basically the same as my 1976 first edition (older than me, and in better
shape than me too lol)

copying is easy, I just did a santa suit with that method, it just takes
practice.

I learned by myself, I chose fabric, pattern and followed the directions
(after learning to use my machines basic stitches making cloth diapers and
curtains) It really was easy, I used a mccalls girls dress for my DDs for
flowergirl dresses in my wedding. I will admit they are a far cry from what
I can accomplish now, and its only been just over a year (but I have devoted
almost all my free time to learning once I discovered how addicting sewing
is) here are some pics, the white and purple dress was my first, the rest
are all my own designs
http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...04_87043219506

Just remember, preshink!!!! Find correct grainlines!!! (mistakes I have
made!)

try googling "learn to sew" there is lots of information out there.

Good luck!

Michelle Giordano