Old September 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Charlie

Oh god, that's awful! BF had a similar problem a while ago in the shop but
with age. He works in a hardware shop and knows *loads* about power tools.
He was serving some stupid woman who was buying power tools for her husbands
birthday. He was trying to convince her that the one she'd chosen wouldn't
so the jobs she's said he wanted it for and that she needed to either buy
the next better model or better, to buy him gift vouchers (like buying a
sewing machine for someone really). She was having none of it so she said
"let's see what your collegue thinks shall we?" and asked the other guy
working there who admits he knows nothing about the power tools. Heh.
Shebought the cheap one. And came back the next day with her husband and
exchanged it for the next model up.

Some people think age = knowledge apparently.

Charlie.

"IMS" wrote in message
My daughter faces the same prejudice, only the opposite type - she is a
computer network geek and a race car driver. The last time she went in
to the automotive shop with her dad to get brake pads and oil filters,
she asked the questions but they addressed the answers to her dad! This
annoys her no end.

Stereotypes go both ways, and for those of you who march to a different
drummer than the norm, it is difficult but rewarding! Particularly as
you are enlightening those who wear "blinders" to what either sex
should or should not do, wear, behave, etc. You have accepted the
challenge with dignity and grace. Sew On!!

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:29:45 GMT, "duh who" wrote:

I went into Jo-Ann's tonight to get some interfacing. I'm not sure how the
woman got the idea that I was "repairing" my own shirts. When I said
"Repair? I make them from scratch."

And then there's Betzina's books that never deal with men's clothing.

Its such a hard life living with this prejudice. You just get so far, and
then you hit that muslin ceiling. ;-)

Dwight