Old September 16th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Default Cleaning my old Singer sm

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:48:22 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
wrote:

In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently). If you like it and can use it, that to me would be
where the value is, and you don't need the logo in order for it work
for you. That's just my opinion.

I disagree; just check completed auctions on eBay for machines that
are in clean, working, and tuned up condition. Esp. Singer
'favorites' such as the 15-91, 201-2, 221, 222, 301, 401, etc.

I have sold two Singer 'Red Heads" (also known as a 'Red Eye" decals)
on eBay - just the machine head with no motor or attachments or manual
- for over $200 each. More recently, a filthy Pfaff 230 (which was
given to me), which I thoroughly cleaned, adjusted and lubbed, sold
for over $300.

There are plenty of people (including myself) who value these old
machines, because they were made to last several lifetimes with a
minimum of care, unlike the computerized plastic wonders of today.

-Irene (who has about 70 vintage Singer sewing machines inc. 6 221s,
one 222, and 5 301s)