Old September 15th 10, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

Default Cleaning my old Singer sm

In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently).

no value???
boat anchor????
so i guess they dont float your boat then.
the mind boggles.
boing boing
j.

"Nancy2" wrote ...
I have a "de-gunking" product from my local Ace hardware store that
removes baked-on gunk without removing a colored coating (like on my
electric frypan). It might be called, "Goop," but I'm not sure of the
name. You could try mineral spirits first.

Whatever, I'd hesitate to use it over the logo, if that's important to
you. In fact, most Singer sewing machines have no value at all (in
terms of being "vintage" or "antique" - the term "boat anchor" comes
up frequently). If you like it and can use it, that to me would be
where the value is, and you don't need the logo in order for it work
for you. That's just my opinion.

As to the innards, I'd take it to a pro....it may need some fine-
tuning and adjustments that you just aren't able to do yourself.
N.

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." wrote:
My poor ol' 1950 Singer 15-91 spent 3 years in the garage with Missouri's
heat and cold and high humidity. It has this thick, brown-ish colored,
sticky, greasy feeling film on it- it's much like the cooked-on grease you
sometimes see on the bottom of frying pans. Any thoughts on some thing
safe
to clean it- that won't mess up the lovely decals or the black paint?

Also, I hear y'all talking about cleaning and lubing the old machines to
get
them running well. Can somebody tell me *exactly* how to do it? Not just
'clean it well' but how do you get up into the innards, what do you use
for
wiping and for removing the gunk, and how do you know if something up in
there needs help or special attention? What product do you use to lube it
and where? All the research I did some time ago really didn't say how to
get to the stuff- just a broad 'clean it' and 'lubricate it' statement. I
need very detailed specific instructions, please. Help?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO