Old August 9th 03, 09:55 PM
Charlie

Most Usenet groups are "no-ads" groups. And there isn't a "Usenet charter"
every single group has it's own.

Charlie.

wrote in message
I'm trying to get clear on some of this topic.

As I read the quote from the charter that was posted on this thread, I
don't see any "no selling/advertising" language. The "no
selling/advertising" part seems to come from "ground rules" (made by
whom? binding on whom?) at some later date. Or am I missing something?

The Usenet FAQ mention that advertising may be treated with disdain and
is discouraged, but is not necessarily forbidden. There was even a
mention in the FAQ that a brief, one-time advertisement would not
usually be cause for abuse. Again, did I miss something?

As I reviewed this thread, it did go on quite a while, and got sarcastic
and disrespectful, before anyone actually mentioned to Cheyne that her
advertising was "against the rules." The conversaton among the RCTQ
insiders treated these rules as though they should be universally known.
A newsgroup newbie might not even know there are FAQ. (I have no idea
how new Cheyne may be; perhaps she *should" have known better.)

I don't know if Cheyne is for real or not, but more clarity and
gentleness on our part at the very beginning of this thread might have
kept the heat down.

Philip