Old September 14th 04, 04:14 AM
Pat in Virginia

Good explanation georg! I don't know why you don't like loop
starts though. I really prefer those for counted cross stitch.
Loop starts are terrific for sewing buttons and other
applications too. I use them in quilting when I hand sew labels
and bindings.
PAT in VA/USA

georg wrote:

Diana Curtis wrote:

What is a loop start?
Diana, striving to become always less ignorant

A loop start is when you take a long thread, double it, and thread the
ends on the needle for about an inch or two. This leaves a loop dangling
off the needle. Put needle through fabric and back without pulling
tight. Put needle through the loop, then pull tight. You have just
secured your thread without any knots. When you finish with the other
end, just back stitch one, then bury it between the layers. This is a
needlework trick to hide all knots.
-georg