Old November 25th 04, 07:12 PM
taria

Isn't the idea that kids take care of parents in their later years
in most countries but this one? That seems like it is usually a
good thing. Lots of people here are not set up for retirement either.
Its a problem.
I looked at the sale ads in the morning paper for the early sales
tomorrow. I told my dh there is nothing but chinese import junk and
people buy it up like crazy. I am amazed at what folks consider
essential. Can anyone top a quesidilla maker as the dumbest thing
anyone would want as a gift?
Taria

DrQuilter wrote:
at least he wants something. my parents are not in a good economic
situation. I mean, they are OK, but don't go and buy whatever they need
like Americans normally do (don't mean to start a discussion here, but
in my experience middle class Americans consider essential some things
that back home are still considered optional). He is terrified about
retirement, and tries to save as much as possible... (again, people back
home have a savings account, nobody invests or anything like that. And
having a savings account is good, for example DH's parents, who are in
the same situation, have no savings!) so in this case it is not that he
has everything he needs, he claims he needs nothing. So I ask my mom
what he needs or wants... a couple of months ago I got him new
basketball shoes, for Xmas I am getting him some bourbon or sth like
that so he can have his nightcap once in a while...

MB wrote:

My dh is like that too...He just said the other day....I don't want
anything
for Christmas...
just socks and ties...and not expensive ties....!...last year he only
wanted
socks...the year before
handkerchiefs...and the year before that underwear!......He once saw
snow
shoes and thought
he'd like them....and also another year a metal detector....he's used
neither.
He's at the point in life that if he wants something ...he'll buy it....
Mary