Old August 23rd 04, 09:30 PM
Boca Jan

I love coming here to learn about quilting and hearing all the questions,
problems, solutions and general good humor bantor about mostly quilting and
sometimes everything else.

One of my problems is not knowing where to go to have a quilt machine
quilted. I felt it was appropriate to make a list of people who do this or
who would do this as time allows. That way, anyone else having this same
problem could fine someone off the list simply by posting a request for the
list. Of course it would be sent under personal email.

Anyway, I am not taking this rant personally. I hope it wasn't directed at
any of my posts. I look at this list as manageable as my television set. If
there is something I don't want to read I just don't follow the thread. It
is easy enough to delete or mark as read.

As every group of people, especially women, a place to talk is wonderful.
Women (and a few men) enjoy the company and the opportunity to share with
others. I am sorry if anyone was driven away by a few with unflexible
notions of what a group should do/be. That is the most unfortunate ending of
this discussion.

Just my opinion - you can have yours
Boca Jan

"Don/Gen" wrote in message
WOW. Guess there are quilt police after all. Apparently you think you
speak for all of us. As for the advertising--occasionally someone steps

up
and does it. You obviously have made no mistakes! The tone of this group
is taking a definite turn to turn against anyone who makes the slightest
mistake. When someone is looking for a particular fabric, etc. I guess we
shouldn't tell them where they might find it, since that would be

considered
advertising for a particular shop
It's too bad you don't consider this a cyber quilting bee. This has

been
talked about many times, that basically this is what it is. Guess you're
happy on your pedestal.
Gen

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
.
We all talk about this group as if it is a cyber quilting bee. It isnt.

It
is a quilting lesson, ongoing and dynamic. They are lessons we each pay

for.
Some pay more, some pay less, but dang it, we all pay to be here.
Picture having a quilting lesson at your local quilt store where every

so
often a person pops into the class room and advertises something,
interupting the lessons you paid for. You'd be right to be upset. It

could
be your best friend in the world, offering to quilt for you, or a total
stranger offering a better way of living thru pills or what have you.

Its
the same thing, an interuption.
But what about OT posts, you ask. Arent they an interruption as well?

Yes,
when we forget to mark them as being off topic, to the paying subscriber

this group, they are, for some, an unwanted interruption of what they

pay
come here for. Quilt lessons. When we do remember to use the OT in the
header it is as if we have excused ourselves to the little room over

there
with the coffee urn and the nummy desserts where we wont be interupting

the
other quilters with our chatter.
We all have the right to be here. We have the right to a newsgroup

that
the majority will find useful and fun. Along with those rights comes a
serious responsibilty to police ourselves and our own posts. If we

decide
as
a group to allow people to post ads where do we draw the line? Who gets

post ads and how many and how often is offensive? Do we get to pick on
people who are obviously not regular posters? Who is going to police

such
wishy washy policy?
Does it make more sense to make a blanket policy that advertisments

are
go to rec.crafts.textiles.marketplace? That is what it is for.
Rant mode over, back to quilting
Diana