Old August 18th 03, 02:37 AM
dogmom

My DH helped me find RCTQ several years ago and I got hooked on it pretty
quickly. It took me a while to get my nerve up to post, but the more I do,
the more I do, and now I do not know how I could sew a quilt without this
group! Y'all are nearly as vital as my sewing machine! I made my first quilt
when I was in college, living in a room which had a door to an porch which
didn't shut quite tightly. BRRRR! Decided it was time to put together those
blocks my Mom had been saving for me. She wasn't a quilter, or hardly even a
sewer, but I guess we'd decided to save cloth from garments I'd learned to
make (with the help of a friend's mother) in case I ever wanted to make
one. So over Christmas vacation I cut 100 10-inch blocks, laid them in
rows, sewed the rows together. Put a rainbow-colored sheet on the back and
used some kind of polyester batting. Tied it. Decades later that worn and
torn quilt is in the archives but I'll never part with it--it is truly a
diary of my life, with blocks form my prom dress, my curtains when I was a
kid, and countless other threads of my past. Wish I'd saved more cloth--it
can spark memories nearly as vividly as long-forgotten aromas. As I write
this, I realize that my quiltmaking is yet another gift from my Mom ( who
died 4 years ago), who had the foresight to save those squares so many years
ago....

I continued to make quilts, tho' not at any great rate (or quality!) over
the next 20 years. Then when I quit my full-time job I got into it much
more and now I can't imagine not having some quilty project to work on.

Growth wise--I'd like to get better at everything that I like: patchwork,
colors, MQing. Some day I want to be brave enough to do a Drunkard's Path
and a Lone Star, and oh--about a dozen others, too! And what I hope to find?
That dadgum piece of dogbone cloth I misplaced a year ago! But thanks to the
generosity of someone on this NG (three cheers! You know who you are!)
substitutes are en route.

Thanks for asking! Hope your recovery continues nicely and quickly!

Dogmom
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored