Old December 30th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NanaWilson

Default Note to DH pie crust

How 'bout those pie shells already in the pan. Now I know it is an aluminum
pan BUT,I pre bake them just a bit till they are firmed up & transfer them
to my better pie pan. Fill 'er up with filling of me choice & no one knows
the difference. (Unless I tell them!)
Nana not cheating just short cuttingg

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice, Polly. I filed that in my Food file. Hope I
remember to check it next time I buy ... er, 'make' .... a pie crust. We
had a wonderful home made coconut pie in a store bought shell ....
delicious! But, next time I will try your advice. Ta,
PAT in Virginia

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I can play the pie crust game from every direction. My best favorite good
trick is this.
Heat you oven to 300° more or less.
Put a cookie sheet in the oven to get warm.
Put the pie crust on a lovely pie pan/dish of your own. The tacky,
store-bought aluminum foil one will not do. We're trying to look home
made here.
Take a pastry brush (if you have one) or just your fingers and paint
the pie crust with a beaten egg white.
Put the painted piecrust (pastry, if you will) in the oven on the
warmed cookie sheet for about 5 minute. Remove.
Viola / Voila!
The egg white will act sort of like varnish and keep the pie crust
from getting a case of soggy bottom when you put the filling in and bake.
And - a recent lesson from our precious Alton Brown: let a pie cool
for at least 5 hours for all the magic to happen and a filling to set.
In '08, my pecan pie turned to syrup, we cut it too soon. AB is one
smart cookie. Polly

.