Old August 16th 06, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default "Drat", says newbie...

Welcome, Jean.
The bad news - it's incurable.
The good news - it's life enhancing and most enjoyable (though it can be
frustrating!)

As to a crazy quilt:
I honestly wouldn't suggest that you do one for your first quilt -
unless you are 'vowed and determined' to do so! The techniques are so
different from the vast majority of quilts that you might do.
Also, I would suggest that you start with something smaller than a
bed-sized quilt. If you make something useful - like place mats and/or
a table runner, you will be learning 'how to do' without having most of
the snags of weight and sheer size. And, if you were sure you wanted to
do 'crazy', these would be manageable.
With Christmas not *too* far away, perhaps a Christmas set of mats and
runner would be fun. If you didn't manage it by *this* Christmas,
there's always another one round the corner g.

Check out 'crazy quilt' on Google- Images to see examples. There will
be hundreds!

By the way, there's plenty info about dyeing over the years. You could
use that as a keyword and have a look in Google - Groups -
rec.crafts.textiles.quilting.

All the best,
..
In message , Jean B.
writes
All I can say right now is "drat"! I came here looking for ideas for
surface design and dyeing, and now I (person who has always loathed
sewing) want to make a quilt! You must be contageous or something....

I am also thinking I want to do something by hand first.... Are crazy
quilts the easiest? Any good links for total newbies? Hmmmm. I'd
better go look at the FAQ if there is one. I have been looking at eye
candy--and at more practical things like about.quilting....

I don't know whether to close with a smile or a frown. Time will
tell....

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill