Old March 3rd 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default big foot + little foot

On all the Janomes I've worked with you can move the needle sideways to
get the perfect scant 1/4 in. by hitting the zig-zag width adjustment
control- yes, it works even when straight stitching. You might give
that a try before you give up on your 1/4 in. foot. I love my Janome
1/4 in. foot! ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Wren wrote:
I have the metal 1/4" patchwork guide foot that came with my Janome but
I have several problems with it: 1) I can't get a scant 1/4"...only a
full 1/4" 2) some fabrics get caught in the seam guide on the side of
the foot...especially when piecing small triangles 3) when chain
piecing, it's tough to feed fabric under the foot. I reduced the
pressure on the foot which helped somewhat. I'm still getting used to
my new machine though...piecing with this one is a little trickier than
the Husqvarna I had because the feed dogs are much stronger (and have
more defined teeth) as well as the wider opening for the needle---so I
feel I really need to get the straight stitch throat plate for this
machine.

The 1/4" guide foot will be great for piecing long strips of fabric but
I need something different for mini to small patchwork blocks.

Thanks for the feedback on the Big Foot...I'd been considering that for
a while now--but not anymore. As far as the Little Foot, I put a bid
in on one through ebay but I've gotten outbid before, so maybe the same
thing will happen again. I did that before I posted this question--so
now I'm kicking myself. I'll look into the Janome straight stitch
plate + metal 1/4" foot combo--that one doesn't have the guide piece on
the side.

Thanks all--I really appreciate your input!