Old March 24th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - Anyone on here a piano tuner?

Melissa in NJ wrote:

Anyone on here a piano tuner? Or know one? I was thinking of taking a
home study course to become a piano tuner. Not so much a full time
thing....but as a supplmental thing.

Disclaimer: I tried to tune my piano once and
my tuner told me never to do it again. I
secretly bring my tuning hammer to rehearsals,
though, to tune the one or two horrible out-of-
tune keys every rehearsal room's piano has.

I get my piano tuned about 4x a year and I've
taken a course on piano rebuilding (which includes
tuning). I think it's a great thing to do and
a lot of fun, especially if you like meeting people
and checking out their homes. But, I don't know
how much of a business you can build doing it
part-time. It takes a bit of time to be able to
tune quickly, i.e., in 1.5 hours. Using the
electronic tuners helps, but it still comes down
to pounding on the keys to hear the beats to get
the temperament correct. It probably helps to
get an apprenticeship, too, to get to know the
business and the clientele.

I think you should do it and let us know how it
goes. It could be lots of fun.

-- Anita --