Old August 11th 05, 03:45 AM
Jeff

The simplest knot, already suggested, is throwing several half hitches
over the stake. I don't think I'd be able to sleep with just two -
I'd add a third or more.

However, you asked what a "real boater" would do. First of all, he
would likely use the end of a line and take up the excess on the boat,
not on shore. That way, more can be fed out if need. The boat will
undoubtedly have cleats for this purpose, so they should learn the
proper way to attach to a cleat. Using this approach, the line can be
tied to the stake in advance, and a round turn with half hitches is
not a bad choice, as long as conditions don't get nasty.

Also, the "stake" would likely be some type of anchor, perhaps a
Danforth style the could be buried in sand. For harder soil an auger
style "land anchor" can be had. In any case, an anchor would have a
ring to attach to, usually with a thimbled splice and a shackle.

Also, the line (or anchor rode) should be nylon, which will provide
some stretch. Presumably, they are renting the boat and it should be
setup with at least one good anchor and rode, and a second for backup.

Luke 451 wrote:
How do real salts moor a boat to a post?

A couple of my buddies are taking their entire family
out on a big houseboat for a week's
vacation on Lake Shasta in NoCal. They usually
end up driving a stake into the remote beaches
and mooring the boat to it. Last year they had a
few problems because no one knew any real knots.
The lead from the boat is very long, and they
often had to tie off the boat
with the middle of the rope. The boat was always
a different distance from shore.

They asked me what to do this yr since I'm supposed
to be Mr. Knot (not!), but I'm a lineman, not a sailor.
I suggested a round turn and 2 hh, but that's not too
convenient to tie into the middle of the rope. I'm
thinking loops, maybe. If they tied 4 or 5 butterflies
in the lead every 4 or 5 ft they could drop
whichever one was in the right spot right over the
post. Then they could use the same series of knots
day after day without having to retie every landing.

I dunno! We're dilettantes. I would like to know
what a real boater wld do.

Luke in Ca