Old August 27th 03, 12:02 AM
The Nielands

DeAnna,

Memories are great, aren't they? That's really cool that your grandmother
sent you the quilt your dad has slept under as a boy. I didn't ever have a
quilt that Dad had used, but I do remember having an old "army blanket" that
had been his, and it had that same comforting feeling to it.

I hope wherever that whoever has the DWR today appreciates it. Wouldn't it
be wonderful if there was a way to track it down?

Louise in Iowa
"N7dland" wrote in message
The first quilt I can remember is one that belonged to my Dad. Shortly

after
my parents divorced when I was about 8 years old, his mother sent a quilt

to me
and said that it had been my Dad's when he had been a boy in Scotland,

South
Dakota. It was 6 inch squares of wool with a heavy batting and a wool

backing.
I don't remember it being too hot, but I do remember the weight of it and

how
comforted I was by its weight and knowing it had been my Dad's.

The second quilt was a double wedding ring design also made by my Dad's

mother
and given to me. My Mom put it in her cedar chest for safe keeping and

when
she disassociated herself with both sides of the entire family it went

with
her. But I remember how beautiful it was: small calico rings on a white
background, a thin batting, a light blue background with a scalloped edge.

Ahh, memories.

DeAnna