Old April 16th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

Default Tell me the truth on hand-piecing

On Apr 15, 2:46 am, Patti wrote:
Which way are you doing the Tumbling Blocks, Polly - it does make a
difference!
Are you doing them over papers, or marking the sewing line and following
that?
If the former, then close 'whip' stitching, done from the back, will be
sturdy.

If the latter, then I'll just tell you a recent experience that changed
my mind on what to do! I usually do what most suggested - running
stitch with a few back stitches thrown in. But on a recent complex
little piece, I did that, and the top side did not look at all good.
The pieces were small, admittedly, but I ended up doing what Phyllis
explained that she does; and, for those seams, you really would not know
the difference between hand and machine. Also, of course, it would be
immensely strong. Mine isn't going to have to stand up to any hard
treatment, but it looks good g

I, too, do the 'down and up' kind of pressing on things with bias edges.
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes

There's the beginning of a wonderful tumbling blocks quilt here. Still in
the just playing stage, I'm auditioning many interesting combinations
including batiks, checks, 30's and bugs. There's already a caterpillar
inching up the side of a block. The batiks work great because they are
lovely and can be flipped and turned to make the contrast just right. This
will be a scrappy tumble. The one over at quilters cache called me.
Now, for you hand-piecers. These blocks don't seem to need the hefty
smash I customarily give SM piecing and there are bias edges all over the
place. Do you just give them a gentle glide with a little iron? What steps
do you take to be as sure as you can that hand-piecing is as sturdy as you
can make it? I would simply croak if this beauty fell to pieces if anybody
dared to sit on my quilt. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Miss Polly,
I agree with Patti. I did mine over papers with whipstitching. Made
a lap size for my niece as a baby blanket. Of course, I also hand-
quilted - 1/4" away from the seams. As far as I know DN is still
using this 4 years later. Then again, most people that I give
something hand-made to are of the opinion - 'oh it's too too pretty to
use' regardless that was the intent of the gift!

As others have said, I'm sure whichever hand-piecing technique you
select will be done exquisitely and last a lifetime!

Kim in NJ