Old March 27th 04, 05:56 PM
AliceW

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
: AliceW wrote:
:
: The
: last time the directory was updated, someone converted it to an Excel
: spreadsheet. I can't remember who that was, but I was wondering if
: that was
: going to be done with this version. I would be glad to help if
: directions
: are provided. Thanks!
:
:
: This is a total kludge way of doing it, but this is how I converted it
: to an Excel-importable file. I'm sure someone more clever than I could
: write a nifty little program to convert the file...
:
: These directions are for Word
:
: Before you do anything, save a separate copy of the file, just in case
: you make a total hash of it!
:
: The short directions:
: #1 Make each person's entry into one block.
: #2 Replace all returns with tabs
: #3 Replace all double tabs with a single return
: #4 Save as text-only file
: #5 Import into Excel as a tab-delimited file
: #6 You'll have to mess about a bit to take care of people with multiple
: email addresses.
:
: The long form
: #1 make each entry one block, separated by double returns (this is the
: time-intensive part)
:
: Example:
:
: screen name
: name
: street address
: city state zip
: country
:
: email
:
: birthday
: favorites
: dislike
:
: This is an entry for one person. You have to take out the extra spaces
: between country/email and email/birthday.
: Make it look like this:
:
: screen name
: name
: street address
: city state zip
: country
: email
: birthday
: favorites
: dislike
:
: It helps if you turn on the feature that shows you the hidden characters
: Click on the icon on your standard toolbar that looks like a backwards P
: Now you can see the tabs and returns
:
: Ctrl+z undoes what you just did if you goof and remove the wrong line
: from the file.
: Don't forget to save sometimes!
:
: #2
: Replace all the hard returns with tabs, and then all double tabs with
: hard returns
: ctrl+h brings up the search and replace box.
: enter ^p in the first field
: enter ^t in the second
: click replace all
:
: #3
: Replace all the double tabs with hard returns
: ctrl+h brings up the search and replace box.
: enter ^t^t in the first field
: enter ^p in the second
: click replace all
:
: Now you should have a file where each person's info is in one blob full
: of tabs, separated by hard returns
: like this:
: screen name name street address city state zip country email birthday
: favorites dislike
:
: #4
: Save as .txt only file.
: Close
:
: #5
: Open Excel, and go to Data/get external data/Import text file
: Excel should recognize your data as tab-delimited
: Go ahead and click through the boxes until you get to 'finish'
: If it looks good, save it!
:
: #6
: A few people have multiple email addys
: Insert a column between email and birthday, then sort by the very last
: field (the first entries will be blank).
:
: This will bring all the entries with second emails to the top.
: Highlight the cells in the blank column (there are 3, unless I messed
: up) and then edit/delete/shift cells left to
:
: get all the entries in the right place
:
: liz young in sunny california