Old June 29th 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default OT fire extinguishers?

Keep a simple bag packed with important information/prescriptions/
contact info etc that can be used for a fire or storm or any
emergency. Keep it nearby.
If you sleep in your birthday suit, make sure you have clothes and
shoes nearby to jump into if there is a fire.
Keep fire extinguishers in several places in your house. Make sure you
get the proper type, in a size you can handle, and keep it charged.
Read the label now, and refresh your memory every month or two so you
are not trying to understand how to use it when you actually need it.
Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire, not at the flames, when
using it.
Keep an extinguisher in your car/vehicle for use on car fires, but
also keep one to be used on a small house fire there. People have
saved a house as they drive by and see a problem, then stop to help.
If you have multiple stories, make sure you have a fire escape ladder
that can be tossed out the window to hook on the window ledge and give
you escape to the ground.
If you live in an apartment complex, know where the extinguishers are
outside. Know your closest fire station.

Ginger in CA

On Jun 28, 8:17*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
In the dozen years since we've been in the Swamp, there have been 3 home
fires. *This area is so remote that all the fire department can do mostly is
bring sympathy cards.
* * Back when I was gainfully employed we used to have fire drills and
(better yet) lessons from the fire guys to teach us how to use a fire
extinguisher. They actually set the statue of General Somebody ablaze out in
the courthouse front lawn and gave everybody a turn at putting him out.
* * At the time, I was too little to even lift the fire extinguisher down
from its mount. *Couldn't possibly have carried it to a fire.
* * It always delights and comforts me about the far-ranging expertise of
our quilting group. *Anybody know anything about being prepared for a fire?
(And I will tolerate no smart 'coming from afar' quips.) * I really need to
get / know *how to be prepared. *So do you. *Polly