Old July 26th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT- Finch feeders

Not my fields....no research on my part. Just repeating what I was told.
Won't do that anymore! g

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Val" wrote in message

"KJ" wrote in message
My brother in law the farmer dislikes birders putting thistle seeds in
feeders. It increases the likelihood of his fields having more thistles
in them. I usually just get different sizes of sunflower hearts.

--

FYI: bird feeder thistle seed

Niger thistle (Guizotia abyssinica) is an annual plant, which belongs to
the sunflower family. The crop is used exclusively as bird seed in the
U.S.A. but is valued as an oilseed in other countries. The seed contains
approximately 42% oil, composed primarily of linoleic acid.

Currently, the entire U.S. usage of niger (approximately 70 million pounds
annually) is imported from India, Ethiopia, Myanmar, and Nepal.

Several farming regions in the United States and Canada have tried to grow
Niger as an alternative crop but have thus been unsuccessful.

Those thistles in your BIL's field are *not* from bird feeders.

Val