Old October 23rd 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

I think it depends on the rules of the show. Our local show is not a
judged show, so rules are probably more lax than in a judged show and I
would find a quilt from a kit to be more acceptable. It seems like the
"kit-builder" should be given some credit. Of course, you could end up
with quite a list of credits: "Pattern designed by A, fabrics selected
by B, piecing and/or applique done by C, quilted by D". I'm not a big
fan of kits, because I like the challenge of selecting fabrics to make a
pattern my own; for me part of the process is making something that is
not exactly like someone else's.

Julia in MN

Sunny wrote:
I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/