Old October 23rd 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

While Sunny is being snitty, I'll just be uppity. (Ha. My mind zigzags off
here to the How the Fight Started and 'which one are you then?').
I simply can not imagine making a quilt where someone else chose the
fabric prints and colors and orchestrated the blending thereof. I can't
even take a cheater panel for a crib quilt and leave it alone; I always have
to make it mine.
Even out here in the Swamp where all they sell is barbed wire and hawg
feed, it would be impossible for me to accept what someone else put
together.
So. I reject the notion that a kit would be an unfair advantage. We
'uppity' quilters would think of it as a handicap.
Which one are you then? Polly

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
What I think: the rules of each show will vary, so some may permit kit
quilts, others not. If you prefer another set of rules, volunteer for the
next show committee. Of course the rest of the committee may out vote your
suggestions, but at least you would have tried. (BTDT!!) If a committee is
required to hang those quilts, perhaps that should be a separate
committee. You are not rude, nor snitty ... unless you've blabbed it all
over the show and guild, which of course I doubt. I'd have your reaction
too!!
PAT in VA/USA

Sunny wrote:

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny