Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
Search took 1.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Dan Lehman
Forum: Knots July 10th 09, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 12
Posted By Dan Lehman
Help me identify 'Iron Knot'. A 'self releasing knot'.

On Jul 8, 9:51*am, wrote:

Since you bring up the Bowline, another knot form that I had in mind
was a partial or uncompleted bowline. *It is quite unstable, but can
be made...
Forum: Knots July 10th 09, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 6
Posted By Dan Lehman
bend in cord elastic

On Jun 6, 9:58*pm, Joy Beeson wrote:
when I use cord elastic, I just tie a knot. *

The last time I had to open a casing because the knot had come untied,
I said well, duh! -- a square...
Forum: Knots October 13th 08, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 4
Posted By Dan Lehman
Knot Efficiency / Strength Table?

On Oct 11, 6:52 am, Davej wrote:

My interest would be climbing rope and climbing knots. I would have
thought that there would be a fairly decent collection of data
Forum: Knots October 11th 08, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 4
Posted By Dan Lehman
Knot Efficiency / Strength Table?

On Oct 10, 8:39 am, Davej wrote:
So where is the best online knot strength data?

For the most part, there isn't any "best" or even all that terribly
good data.
But...
Forum: Knots September 27th 08, 04:15 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 2
Posted By Dan Lehman
Final hitch on a taut-line?

On Sep 21, 12:52 pm, Davej wrote:
The final hitch on a taut-line hitch can be tied two ways -- one is
"right" and one is "wrong." Has this been proven to matter? Does it
Forum: Knots September 27th 08, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 5
Posted By Dan Lehman
Easy question. What knot is this?

On Sep 21, 2:59 pm, Heikki wrote:

It looks like some relative of the Benson bend. Except that in the Benson,

Funny how this old knot could be unrecognized by two knot tyers
(one of...
Forum: Knots September 27th 08, 03:49 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 5
Posted By Dan Lehman
Successive half hitches?

On Sep 20, 9:36 pm, Davej wrote:
... I'm puzzling over half-hitches and how they should be paired up.
It seems there are four ways to tie a half hitch.

"Four ways ... "?! ...
Forum: Knots July 23rd 08, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 15
Posted By Dan Lehman
The best sack-closing knot

On Jul 21, 8:16 am, wrote:
On Jul 14, 6:34 am, Bernie Cosell wrote:

dmd wrote:
} My candidate for the best...
Forum: Knots July 19th 08, 05:53 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 15
Posted By Dan Lehman
The best sack-closing knot

"The procedure is suitable for fast blind tying."
Rather, tying the knot as you present is slower, more involved
in making time-consuming tucks than is needed.

The procedure I show...
Forum: Knots July 15th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 15
Posted By Dan Lehman
The best sack-closing knot

On Jul 13, 11:40 am, dmd wrote:
My candidate for the best sack-closing knot:

http://www.geocities.com/davidmdelaney/bag-knot/bag-knot.html

And you judge it "best"...
Forum: Knots August 4th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 2
Posted By Dan Lehman
Knot Book available online.

On Jul 27, 9:44 am, "
wrote:
I ... found that you can download a copy of

KNOTS, SPLICES and ROPE WORK A PRACTICAL TREATISE

Forum: Knots August 4th 07, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 2
Posted By Dan Lehman
Knot Book available online.

On Jul 27, 9:44 am, "
wrote:
I ... found that you can download a copy of

KNOTS, SPLICES and ROPE WORK A PRACTICAL TREATISE

Forum: Knots June 26th 07, 01:56 AM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 2
Posted By Dan Lehman
Whipping 8-strand rope

On Jun 1, 2:34 am, Heikki wrote:
Personally I believe
that sewing the whipping on will keep it in place all right, just as it
does in twisted rope. Comments, anyone?

Heikki, I...
Forum: Knots March 12th 07, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 13
Posted By Dan Lehman
What's this knot called?

On Mar 11, 5:25 pm, "Luke451" wrote:
... What is this knot called?

One might call it a "bowline, half with a bight",
but the name seen in some places is "Painter's...
Forum: Knots January 21st 07, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots,rec.climbing
Replies: 1
Posted By Dan Lehman
New ways for tying the Triple Equalized Load Anchor (TELA)

Claude Boudreau wrote:
These post is for those who like practicing climbing or rescue.
I have found two new ways for tying a Triple Equalized Load Anchor (TELA).

I don't think that this is so...
Forum: Knots January 16th 07, 05:01 AM Posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 16
Posted By Dan Lehman
Can anyone ID this knot?

and indeed, in dutch instructions, this form sometimes shows up

And in English instructions, too. From one Dutch knot tyer I read
that the two forms are known--in parlance but not in the...
Forum: Knots December 22nd 06, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 6
Posted By Dan Lehman
A new way of making the zeppelin bend?

No, Heikki, there is not much new about this knot. I'm sure that many
people playing around with rope have by accident or otherwise tied it
--I know that I have.

As for comparison with SmitHunter's...
Forum: Knots December 19th 06, 11:52 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 6
Posted By Dan Lehman
A new way of making the zeppelin bend?

wrote:
I discovered that the zeppelin bend can be made by a minor modification
of the method for the Hunter's bend attributed by Budworth in his
revision of the Ashley...
Showing results 1 to 18 of 18