Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 2.17 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mary
Forum: Quilting June 5th 12, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Mary
Way OT - joke

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:25:19 AM UTC-5, Marlys in Indiana wrote:
Saw this in a quilt shop e-mail.

A rabbi, a priest and a minister got...
Forum: Quilting April 18th 12, 03:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 9
Posted By Mary
OT??? Make your own laundry soap

I have made and used their recipe for powdered soap for several years, and have had great success with it. (I don't make the liquid version because I don't like messing with large amounts of boiling...
Forum: Quilting February 23rd 12, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 16
Posted By Mary
no quilting and here's why.........

I suggest you do a few things, in order as needed.

First, send a certified letter to the Superintendent, showing copies
to the President of the School Board and to the building Principal.
Detail...
Forum: Quilting February 4th 12, 07:38 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 16
Posted By Mary
OT Name the puppy!

I grew up with a lovely German Shepherd named Cinderella! My father
learned a lesson about letting the children name the new puppy just
after seeing a Disney movie . . .

Seriously, about your...
Forum: Quilting February 2nd 12, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Mary
What to do? What to do?

I agree with David! It just turns out that this year you happen to
have lots of goodies ready. Next year perhaps only one or two.
Forum: Quilting January 31st 12, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 0
Posted By Mary
OT -- new printer

My printer died recently, and even my friend the computer geek said it
was beyond repair, so after hearing about new printer issues on the
newsgroup I was dreading getting a new one. Well, it had to...
Forum: Quilting January 28th 12, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 4
Posted By Mary
OT -- flavored water

On Jan 27, 9:47*am, "Taria" wrote:
shelters are very appreciative of donations like this they can use.
Taria

Neither local shelter wants it. Nor does the church. I...
Forum: Quilting January 27th 12, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 4
Posted By Mary
OT -- flavored water

I had some house guests who arrived with a CASE of those plastic
bottles of flavored water, and when they left they didn't take what
remained, so I have almost more than half a case of that stuff...
Forum: Quilting January 27th 12, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Mary
Off and On Topic-Friend and storage and sewing

I cannot bring myself to throw away those wonderful clear plastic,
zippered pouches that sheets, blankets, curtains, and other goodies
are sold in, and have all of mine zipped up in a HUGE one that a...
Forum: Quilting January 26th 12, 02:55 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Replies: 0
Posted By Mary
Sort of OT

I also apologise for cross posting.

No apology necessary for cross-posting such an important message!

As to what to do about "sewgirls", I like the idea of putting
copyright notices on things! ...
Forum: Quilting January 19th 12, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 12
Posted By Mary
When to Walk away

When I need to just walk away from a project, I take out my
frustrations on a closet or a dresser that hasn't been sorted out for
a while. When the "keep it" stuff is put back, the "toss" stuff in...
Forum: Quilting January 13th 12, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 20
Posted By Mary
Not OT -- kitchen work

* * Tell us about the venter hood. *Did you choose a great beauty or one big
enough to really work or what? * Polly

I got a REAL hood, and since the stove is on an island the hood hangs
from...
Forum: Needlework January 11th 12, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Replies: 11
Posted By Mary
Stitching in Public - On Topic

I think "knitting" is almost a generic term, rather like people who
call every tissue "kleenex". I, too, take some sort of stitching with
me quite a few places. I used to carry a bag of actual...
Forum: Quilting January 11th 12, 09:00 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 20
Posted By Mary
Not OT -- kitchen work

THANK YOU everybody for the information about countertop materials! I
haven't made any decisions yet, and will definitely look into the
quartz!

Now, about flooring . . . My house is 120 years old,...
Forum: Quilting January 10th 12, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 20
Posted By Mary
Not OT -- kitchen work

I am making excellent progress on finishing my queen-sized quilt!
Every stitch is by hand, so it has been a very big project. I thought
I would not do any stitching at all since major work is being...
Forum: Quilting January 7th 12, 06:24 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Replies: 29
Posted By Mary
sewing machine totes?

My personal favorite container for hauling electronics is an ice chest...
insulation from temperature, a fair amount of structure around the electronics,
and people who would like to steal your...
Forum: Quilting January 6th 12, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting,alt.sewing
Replies: 29
Posted By Mary
sewing machine totes?

I have one that I got on a super-closeout price at TSWLTH a few years
ago, and it works very well. I would NEVER have paid full price,
though.

When I have to take a SM with me, I take my...
Forum: Yarn December 25th 11, 06:23 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 5
Posted By Mary
On Topic -- these godawful ads

Aha you passed by our country?
i live on the Mediterranean *shore .....
mirjam

I haven't visited Israel yet, but hope to get there! The closest I
have been has been Alexandria and Kusadasi,...
Forum: Yarn December 24th 11, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 5
Posted By Mary
On Topic -- these godawful ads

Do you have a subject or special technique in the quilt ?
i wish you to enjoy making it and having it
mirjam

The pattern is one that I designed on a pad of hotel note paper while
at a very...
Forum: Yarn December 23rd 11, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 5
Posted By Mary
On Topic -- these godawful ads

What are you knitting Mary ?
mirjam

At the moment, nothing. I am assembling a quilt. However, I have six
skeins of Araucania fingering weight yarn I found at a re-sale shop a
few weeks ago ...
Forum: Quilting December 19th 11, 04:10 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 11
Posted By Mary
About pre-cuts

With only one exception, I never buy fabric that is pre-cut, and that
is because I always wash fabrics before using them. I was all the
sizing OUT before I work with fabric, and want to be sure...
Forum: Needlework December 14th 11, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Replies: 19
Posted By Mary
Have you ever wanted to give away all your needlework gear?

Don't do it! Just put things away. Chances are almost certain that
within a year or two that you will be ready to stitch! Or a friend or
relative will want to learn, and you will be able to teach...
Forum: Quilting December 8th 11, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 11
Posted By Mary
Who has taken my tape measure?

I gave up on mislaid tape measures several years ago, and any time I
find them on a really good sale I pick up THREE of them! I always
have one in my purse and one in the glove box of my car, one in...
Forum: Quilting December 5th 11, 06:16 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 10
Posted By Mary
Let's talk about irons . . . .

I'm almost embarassed to admit it, but my best iron is a GE steam iron
my mother gave me to take to college with me. That was in the fall of
1966, and it still works beautifully. For very small...
Forum: Quilting December 4th 11, 01:58 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Mary
Basting a quilt

Excellent videos! However, I NEVER starch backing, or any part of a
quilt, for that matter. I do my stitching by hand, and find that
sizing and starch make it very uncomfortable -- and pre-wash...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500