Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bill DeWitt
Forum: Pottery August 13th 06, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Looking for a kiln

wrote :

We are in Ks.

I'm pretty sure that from Kansas the shipping would be equal to or
greater than the price. But thanks for responding.
Forum: Pottery August 5th 06, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Homemade propane nozzle?

wrote in message
it dawned on me Bill that you're thinking of a propane bottle torch,
like that used in brazing...
Forum: Pottery August 5th 06, 12:46 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Homemade propane nozzle?

Err... substitute "venturi" for "Bernoulli"

BTW, I did just find one interesting page,
http://www.combust.com.au/catalog/detail/burners/burners.htm

"Bill DeWitt" wrote in...
Forum: Pottery August 5th 06, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Homemade propane nozzle?

"Richard Kaszeta" wrote :

I must ask, however, why?

Thanks for your response, Richard.

As I am working with a ridiculously small 2 in. sq. (8 cu in) kiln, I
was...
Forum: Pottery August 4th 06, 09:41 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Homemade propane nozzle?

I have seen some intricate plans for black iron nozzles but I wonder if
anyone knows of pages with any information about the -how- and -why- of
propane nozzle design. I'm wondering if I could shape...
Forum: Pottery August 3rd 06, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Looking for a kiln

"m" wrote in message
Bill, I recommend building it: http://www.m2crafts.ca/kiln.html

With a smaller kiln, the...
Forum: Pottery August 3rd 06, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Looking for a kiln

"DKat" wrote :

You should have lots of pottery studios or schools near you

I would have thought that too, but it appears not to be the case.

They might...
Forum: Pottery August 3rd 06, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Looking for a kiln

Hi folks,

My planned purchase of a used kiln fell through, so I am thinking about
buying a new one. If no one minds, I would like to pick some brains here
before I commit.

I have seen the...
Forum: Pottery July 26th 06, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Fire Clay?

"DKat" wrote in message
Does anyone know what happens to cement blocks/bricks in a firing (pit
fire
for example)?

Thermal...
Forum: Pottery July 25th 06, 04:11 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Fire Clay?

"Bob Masta" wrote :

I don't know about the Portland cement mix, but if you are trying
to make firebricks to build a kiln, I suspect you would be better
off just using the...
Forum: Pottery July 25th 06, 12:34 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Fire Clay?

Hi Steve...

"Steve Mills" wrote :

That sounds very much like the stuff used normally for fireplace
setting.

A later call to the owner of the...
Forum: Pottery July 25th 06, 01:17 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Fire Clay?

My local brickyard has bags of something called "Fire clay" which they
instruct me to mix with portland cement to make a fire brick. I suspect that
this is wrong (or useful only for fireplaces). My...
Forum: Pottery July 16th 06, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Test Kiln?

"Urbana" wrote in message
Dear Bill,
You should make a cone pack and put it in there so you can know to
what...
Forum: Pottery July 15th 06, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Test Kiln?

In my process of trying to test out the wild clay I spoke about earlier, I
have built a small test kiln. It has changed shape several times in two
days, but the basic premise is a two inch cube of...
Forum: Pottery July 14th 06, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Wild clay?

"Janet Price" wrote :

The glaze wasn't
great, a greenish brown. It was a fun project, however.

I don't know how this is going to turn out yet, but the unfired color...
Forum: Pottery July 13th 06, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Wild clay?

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:08:32 -0400, "Bill DeWitt"
wrote:

I have...
Forum: Pottery July 13th 06, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Replies: 4
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Wild clay?

I have found some clay near my home, but it is sandy and grey. Is it of
any use and/or is there a way to clean it up somewhat?

TIA
Forum: Knots July 3rd 06, 08:07 PM Posted to rec.crafts.knots
Replies: 6
Posted By Bill DeWitt
Essential knots

wrote :

Also, let's assume the very basics are givens and not to be
included in the list (overhand, square, half hitch, etc.)

I have seen this question before and...
Showing results 1 to 18 of 18