Showing results 1 to 25 of 135
Search took 1.83 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Phyllis Nilsson
Forum: Quilting July 13th 09, 12:35 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

You guys have such good ideas. One more to write down and keep.
"KJ" wrote in message
The good thing about the Post Its is they...
Forum: Quilting July 13th 09, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Seam guide hand piecing and quilting

What a great idea! And I have some on hand.
"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

On some machines I've used a band-aid in place of a...
Forum: Quilting July 11th 09, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

That was my first thought. After spending an hour looking for the Post-It
Notes I decided to use the medical tape I had used for my husband while he
was still with me. Don't know if that was a...
Forum: Quilting July 11th 09, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

Polly, I have a 2000 Saturn and when the windshield wipers quit working, my
poor mechanic was embarrassed to tell me it would cost over $500 to fix
because you had to take the whole darn thing...
Forum: Quilting July 11th 09, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

So far so good. The tape goes on top of the bobbin cover with just a bit on
the sewing machine itself. It hasn't slipped yet when I removed the cover
to remove the bobbin. It was nice to get the...
Forum: Quilting July 11th 09, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

I'm with both of you.
Forum: Quilting July 11th 09, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

Polly, you are such an inspiration. After I posted that message I decided
to try one more time to get the width I wanted in a seam. I put the needle
in the down position, measured my scant 1/4"...
Forum: Quilting July 10th 09, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 59
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
hand piecing and quilting

I hand sew the piecing, but prefer tying my quilts for the old-fashioned
look (which, of course, is done by hand). I bought a new portable sewing
machine a few months ago because my 43-year-old...
Forum: Quilting June 30th 09, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 12
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Out of Juice

I felt the same way after my husband died in March of this year. Couldn't
think about crocheting for indigent school kids, couldn't look at my stash,
couldn't finish quilt tops.

Then I realized...
Forum: Quilting June 27th 09, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 12
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Protect your favorites

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! My favorites are now on my thumb drive.

"AliceW" wrote in message
You can back up your...
Forum: Quilting June 26th 09, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Last week I went to a church rummage sale and found

Went to a garage sale today. There was some yardage, even of some that I
already had a yard or so which means I can use it in more blocks. The
fabric was 50 cents/yard. I spent $14!
Forum: Quilting June 26th 09, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 4
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Maybe it's time to stop obsessing...

One of the things about this group that gave me such hope was I learned that
even those who have been quilting many years still have problems or make
mistakes. I've been making a pieced backing...
Forum: Quilting June 26th 09, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Last week I went to a church rummage sale and found

There isn't any yardage, only pieces. There were two pieces with the name
Peter Pan Fabrics, Inc., same pattern, one red, one blue. They consist of
squares with a double white line to define each...
Forum: Quilting June 25th 09, 08:55 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Last week I went to a church rummage sale and found

two packets of fabric tied with some of the same fabric. Since I want to
try a mile-a-minute project, I thought I'd buy them ($3 for both). When I
untied them I realized they were very good...
Forum: Quilting June 25th 09, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 12
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Protect your favorites

Unfortunately, I am totally computer illiterate. I have a thumb drive and
absolutely no idea how to copy my favorites to it. When I go "organize
favorites" it gives me the choice of moving,...
Forum: Quilting June 24th 09, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 3
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
"The Quilt"

They are absolutely lovely. I was surprised to see some of them included
fabrics I have in my stash. Inspiration!

"Jennifer in Ottawa" wrote in message...
Forum: Quilting May 24th 09, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 7
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
90 year old couple doing a piano duet

John, it has been awhile since I've smiled, but that made me smile. Thank
you.

"John" wrote in message...
Forum: Quilting May 21st 09, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 5
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Prayers Needed

Marilynn has my prayers for an easy, painfree passing. You have my prayers
for peace.

"lenorel95" wrote in message
Forum: Yarn November 16th 08, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Replies: 4
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Length of kids scraves

I make scarves 36-40" long that tuck inside the coat so they don't get
tangled and other kids don't grab at them when playing and accidentally
cause a problem.

"Gerald & Donna McIntosh"...
Forum: Quilting May 31st 08, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Hollow Tumbling Block Quilt

I am absolutely and totally impressed. All I can say is "Wow".

"John" wrote in message
Forum: Quilting May 13th 08, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 8
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
OT Postal costs increase USA

When I heard about the price hike I went to the post office and bought a
roll of "forever stamps", so perhaps they were just out of the rolls in some
post offices.

"Karen, Queen of Squishies"...
Forum: Quilting May 5th 08, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Virtues of hand sewing?

Although it probably sounds sappy, we like each other. I work on quilts, he
works on latch hook, and we both are watching (well, he listens more than
watches) television. Not a lot of...
Forum: Quilting May 3rd 08, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 15
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Virtues of hand sewing?

My sewng machine is in the basement, my husband is not. Best reason I can
think of for hand-sewing, but the accuracy is another; I just am not as
accurate with a machine as I am with my hands. Of...
Forum: Quilting May 3rd 08, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 21
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
I'm just a bit excited...... sorta Off Topic, but about sewing... sort of.

Well, I'm excited for you!!!! That doesn't happen every day or to too many
people, so congratulations. All my jeans have saggy bottoms lately. Good
choice of subject material.

"Pati C."...
Forum: Quilting April 15th 08, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Replies: 9
Posted By Phyllis Nilsson
Starch alternative

I'm another big fan of sizing; having used starch in years, but the sizing
gives fabric a nice finish.