CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Weatherproofing copper foil...? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=95646)

Kris Krieger June 3rd 08 08:03 PM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

Hi,

I want to make sme fixtures for outdoors. I'm doing copper foil. Can the
patina and whatnot be weatherproofed in any way? I thought about paste-
waxing the lead lines, or lacquering the whoel assembly, but any info would
be great.

Thanks!

- Kris

Chemo the Clown June 3rd 08 10:19 PM

On Jun 3, 12:03*pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi,

I want to make sme fixtures for outdoors. *I'm doing copper foil. *Can the
patina and whatnot be weatherproofed in any way? *I thought about paste-
waxing the lead lines, or lacquering the whoel assembly, but any info would
be great.

Thanks!

- Kris

You could wax it every now and then with something like Clarity Glass
Wax but...it's my experience that overall, copperfoiled work doesn't
fair all that well when left to the exposed weather. The solder seams
tend to get rather ugly (oxidized) over time.

charlie June 3rd 08 10:55 PM

--
since there's no seal between the glass and the foil, it's not possible to
weatherproof foiled work. that's why god invented lead came with putty.

Chemo the Clown June 4th 08 12:02 AM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

On Jun 3, 2:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in ...
On Jun 3, 12:03 pm, Kris Krieger wrote:

Hi,

I want to make sme fixtures for outdoors. I'm doing copper foil. Can the
patina and whatnot be weatherproofed in any way? I thought about paste-
waxing the lead lines, or lacquering the whoel assembly, but any info
would
be great.

Thanks!

- Kris

You could wax it every now and then with something like Clarity Glass
Wax but...it's my experience that overall, copperfoiled work doesn't
fair all that well when left to the exposed weather. The solder seams
tend to get rather ugly (oxidized) over time.

--
since there's no seal between the glass and the foil, it's not possible to
weatherproof foiled work. that's why god invented lead came with putty.

Not quite true...I've made water crystal catchers that hold water and
don't leak. Basically a diamond shaped box. Before putting the last
diamond on, fill with water then solder the last foiled diamond in
place and hang from one end.

Moonraker[_2_] June 4th 08 12:59 AM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message

Not quite true...I've made water crystal catchers that hold water and
don't leak. Basically a diamond shaped box. Before putting the last
diamond on, fill with water then solder the last foiled diamond in
place and hang from one end.

Yeah, but you are a special sort of guy. The rest of us ain't that
talented.

You musta turbo-soldered that bevel in place, otherwise the water would have
all boiled out. LOL

Chemo the Clown June 4th 08 01:53 AM

On Jun 3, 4:59*pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message

Not quite true...I've made water crystal catchers that hold water and
don't leak. Basically a diamond shaped box. Before putting the last
diamond on, fill with water then solder the last foiled diamond in
place and hang from one end.

Yeah, but you are a special sort of guy. *The rest of us ain't that
talented.

You musta turbo-soldered that bevel in place, otherwise the water would have
all boiled out. *LOL

But of course I turbo-soldered it...is there any other way?

Moonraker[_2_] June 4th 08 03:01 AM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 4:59 pm, " Moonraker" wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message

Not quite true...I've made water crystal catchers that hold water and
don't leak. Basically a diamond shaped box. Before putting the last
diamond on, fill with water then solder the last foiled diamond in
place and hang from one end.

Yeah, but you are a special sort of guy. The rest of us ain't that
talented.

You musta turbo-soldered that bevel in place, otherwise the water would
have
all boiled out. LOL

But of course I turbo-soldered it...is there any other way?

If you were a true basement bandit artisan buying your supplies wholesale
and having a website persona, you'd have a big vat of molten solder and do
a dip-n-dunk in order to save all that time soldering those joints. Ain't
you learned nuttin from hanging around here?

charlie June 4th 08 03:35 PM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

"Chemo the Clown" wrote in message
On Jun 3, 2:55 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in
[...]

since the solder isn't chemically attached to the glass, imho, you're
depending upon the adhesive of the foil instead of really weather- or
water-proofing the seam. eventually it will fail.

michele June 5th 08 01:13 AM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

so will a cemented piece. i have made lots of garden items (in a past life)
that have held up over time. even lead oxidzes, and worse the cement falls
apart. If properly designed, foiled pieces are extremely tolerant to
weather, use a good polish, maybe kem-o -pro and let nature take her course.
you will get oxidation on either lead or foil in time .m

Kris Krieger June 6th 08 03:46 AM

Weatherproofing copper foil...?

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

On Jun 3, 2:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in
messagenews:9a52d896-8546-435d

[...]

SOunds interesting - do you have any pics posted on-line? I'd like to see
that.

- Kris