CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Pillows for children (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=97237)

sewingforchildren August 16th 08 02:57 PM

Pillows for children

I am new to the site, but sewing for me has been a joy and something I can
do without deadlines as I am homebound because of ME/CFS for many years.
Why I am writing is because I make small travel-size pillows with
pillowcases for children who come to an Advocacy Center here in the
Prescott AZ area. These are children in crisis, but this is the
middle-step place, not the domestic shelter. They come in because of abuse
or unstable homes. When they come, they can select one of the pillows
which is theirs to keep. I try to make as many as I can for them. Why I am
writing is fabric. I use what I have, and my hope is that if you have a
half yard of some fabric that a child would like (nature, children's
characters, etc.) and you don't need it, would you consider sharing it?
The last ones I made had "sixties" symbols, fairytale castles, Disney CARS
(movie), AZ Diamondbacks -- everything I can find. The Center tells me
these are very good for the children. I hope so.

I will continue making the pillows as much as I can. I know the joy of
these little travel-size pillows (I was given one during some harder
days).
Thank you for reading this.
Nancy

-------------------------------------
"Do not wait for leaders. Do it alone, person to person." Mother Teresa
/o)\
\(o/

Delivered via http://www.sewgirls.com/
Sewing Community of the Net
rec.crafts.textiles.sewing - 3581 messages and counting!

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply[_2_] August 16th 08 05:45 PM

Pillows for children

sewingforchildren wrote:

I will continue making the pillows as much as I can. I know the joy of
these little travel-size pillows (I was given one during some harder
days).

Maybe you should visit thrift stores in your area for a cheap source of
fabric for pillows. Shirts, skirts, sheets, etc. should give you a lot
cheaper source of fabric.

betsy[_2_] August 17th 08 02:10 AM

Pillows for children

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply wrote:
sewingforchildren wrote:

I will continue making the pillows as much as I can. I know the joy of
these little travel-size pillows (I was given one during some harder
days).

Maybe you should visit thrift stores in your area for a cheap source of
fabric for pillows. Shirts, skirts, sheets, etc. should give you a lot
cheaper source of fabric.

Since she said she is homebound, this would be difficult. Where I live,
bag day at church rummage sales and free church rummage sales are a good
way to get quite a bit of fabric for very little. Maybe a local friend
could go to just a couple of these a year for her to stock up.

--Betsy

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply[_2_] August 17th 08 05:58 AM

Pillows for children

betsy wrote:

Since she said she is homebound, this would be difficult. Where I live,
bag day at church rummage sales and free church rummage sales are a good
way to get quite a bit of fabric for very little. Maybe a local friend
could go to just a couple of these a year for her to stock up.

I also emailed her and suggested she contact her local paper and try to
get them to write a human interest story on her project, because I bet
that would net her lots of donated materials as well.

betsy[_2_] August 18th 08 10:35 AM

Pillows for children

betsy wrote:

Since she said she is homebound, this would be difficult. Where I
live, bag day at church rummage sales and free church rummage sales
are a good way to get quite a bit of fabric for very little. Maybe a
local friend could go to just a couple of these a year for her to
stock up.

I also emailed her and suggested she contact her local paper and try to
get them to write a human interest story on her project, because I bet
that would net her lots of donated materials as well.

That sounds like a great idea. I'm sure that there are plenty of
people locally who would like to donate. If she participates on a
local freecycle group, that would be another place to request fabric.

--Betsy