CraftBanter

-   Jewelry (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   HELP - White gold ring with black marks?? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12975)

Moochie June 15th 04 02:00 AM

HELP - White gold ring with black marks??

I bought an 18K white gold engagement ring, and noticed that the
inside of the ring had these black marks that look like black rust (or
dark grey rust). The jeweler said that this may happen if the ring is
exposed to extreme heat. So, the jeweler said she "polished" it, and
indeed most of the black marks went away. Should I be concerned? Has
this happened to anyone else's white gold jewelry?

Fred Mason June 16th 04 02:03 AM

It is common for white gold to have black oxides as the result of casting or
soldering processes. These oxides are normally removed in the finishing
(polishing) work. The oxides come not from the gold, but the alloys with
the gold. White gold made with nickel darkens and so does palladium white -
a white gold alloy which gets its' white color by being alloyed with
palladium.

Fred