CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   sewing cheesecloth? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38010)

enigma October 24th 04 02:31 PM

sewing cheesecloth?

can it be done? perhaps with a wash-out or tear away
stabilizer?
if not, what is the most likely way to attach the 36" widths
to make wider fabric (this is for creating a ghost. i need to
make a robe & cape with hood)?
also, sewing cheesecloth to premade sweatshirt & pants...
hand sew or machine? this is for a 4 year olds mummy costume.
tia
lee
also open to further suggestions for extremely lightweight &
drapy fabrics for ghost building.

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate

handmaiden October 26th 04 10:31 AM

I'd go with either a whip stitch by hand (time consuming, but effective)
rather than try and work with it on the machine. If you're just going for
something that will hold it together and not support any strain (which I can
only assume since it IS cheesecloth) this should work for you.
~handmaiden

--
handmaiden
"enigma" wrote in message
.. .
can it be done? perhaps with a wash-out or tear away
stabilizer?
if not, what is the most likely way to attach the 36" widths
to make wider fabric (this is for creating a ghost. i need to
make a robe & cape with hood)?
also, sewing cheesecloth to premade sweatshirt & pants...
hand sew or machine? this is for a 4 year olds mummy costume.
tia
lee
also open to further suggestions for extremely lightweight &
drapy fabrics for ghost building.

--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing
the vital
connection between them. -Leo Buscaglia, author (1924-1998)

---

Andy Dingley November 2nd 04 03:03 AM

On 24 Oct 2004 13:31:15 GMT, enigma wrote:

can it be done?

I just throw it at the machine and it comes out the other side. But
then I've got a Pfaff with a top feed and a gentle take up.

I don't think I've ever done it on the Big Brother with the proper
walking foot, because that has quite a "snatch" on letting the clutch
out.
--
Smert' spamionam