CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   silverplated and sterling silver (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5133)

Audrey March 22nd 04 04:25 AM

silverplated and sterling silver

Hi

Can someone please explain the differences - not the basics in that I know
that silver plated is just a thin layer of silver on a base metal (which
one?) but differences in durability, strength etc. Does silver plated
tarnish as silver does??

Thanks very much

Audrey

Christina Peterson March 22nd 04 04:57 AM

It take very little to wear out plating. The silver layer is at least as
susceptible to tarnish as Sterling. For something to use a few times and
throw away it would be OK. Personally, I'd rather use stainless steel and
have a solid metal than use a plated metal.

Tina

u...