CraftBanter

-   -   What Quilt Scares You? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=27772)

Diana In Dallas October 27th 03 03:38 PM

Mine I think would be the double wedding ring.
I am so drawn to that pattern and would love to
due one in red & purple our favorite colors. It just
looks so intimidating.

Diana in Dallas
(no grandbaby its due in two days on the 29th.)

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots

think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about

it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried.

In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good

contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on

my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the same
quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Ellison October 27th 03 04:21 PM

Howdy!
Nope. None.

Ragmop/Sandy--well, there isn't! ;-D
(professional quilt color coordinator--and cotton picker!)

Kathy Applebaum October 27th 03 04:25 PM

Must be a personality thing. I honestly can't think of a quilt that scares
me. There are a couple that I know would bore me to tears because they'd be
so slow to do (a pieced clamshell comes to mind), but it doesn't scare me.

That may be because when I started quilting I was too dumb to know what was
hard. Whenever I had something I couldn't do, I just made lots of practice
pieces until I had that skill down, or hunted down a class to learn what I
wanted. So maybe that's why quilts don't scare me -- it's not a matter of
"too hard", but just "not enough skills yet; what a great opportunity to
learn!" *grin*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Kathy Applebaum October 27th 03 04:28 PM

FWIW, there are almost no set-in seams in a Mariner's Compass. It just looks
like there would be. :)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is it the curves in the one and the many set in seams in the other?
Diana

QuiltR1024 October 27th 03 05:19 PM

Hi All,
No, none scare me. I just dig in and try everything.

Kris ( in northern Virginia)

sdgodfrey October 27th 03 05:22 PM

There are two scary ones for me. I'd love to make a blooming 9-patch.
The fabric selection is what scares me. I've seen some that are
gorgeous and others that, well... don't do much for me. It's all in the
fabric selection, and I feel I'm not experienced enough to pick the
right fabrics yet. I'd also love to make a mariner's compass. I'm
worried about matching the points on this one. I've got a long way to
go before I could make one I was happy with. But I'm confident when I
have a couple of years experience or so, that I will make both of them.

--
Sherri G in Kentucky
http://community.webshots.com/user/sdgodfrey

Jan Dunaway October 27th 03 05:40 PM

uhmm... It's fabric..... it's replaceable..... you don't have much to
loose by trying!! :-) Nothing to be afraid of there!! :-)) Excpept
those stash raids!!!!

Jan