I have tried epoxy and fiberglass resin but these end up being to hard does anyone know
what I can use to make softer rubber stoppers.

TIA SAL

Moonraker July 7th 05 12:26 PM

wrote in message
Greetings all,

I would like to make my own rubber stoppers I have created a mold using

plaster of paris,
I have tried epoxy and fiberglass resin but these end up being to hard

does anyone know
what I can use to make softer rubber stoppers.

TIA SAL

Why? The scientific supply catalogs are full of stoppers. This seems like
a quest to reinvent the wheel. You could never make stoppers
one-at-a-time that would be as uniform or inexpensive as what you can buy
ready-made. Unless, of course, you are making some anatomically correct
sort of "stopper" for some activity that we don't need to know about.

sal July 7th 05 01:02 PM

"Moonraker" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Greetings all,

I would like to make my own rubber stoppers I have created a mold
using

plaster of paris,
I have tried epoxy and fiberglass resin but these end up being to
hard

does anyone know
what I can use to make softer rubber stoppers.

TIA SAL

Why? The scientific supply catalogs are full of stoppers. This
seems like a quest to reinvent the wheel. You could never make
stoppers one-at-a-time that would be as uniform or inexpensive as what
you can buy ready-made. Unless, of course, you are making some
anatomically correct sort of "stopper" for some activity that we don't
need to know about.

Cute :-) We know where your mind is hahahah (anatomically correct....)
I'm making various shapes with glass and epoxy resin for a hobby. buying
stoppers from the catalog won't match the strange shapes I make. Try and
by 1 heaxagonal stopper from a catalog. shipping and handling alone is 5
times the price of the stopper if you can find it.

Besides learning is funny and so is the satisfaction of making something
with your own two hands
TIA SAL

Sundog July 7th 05 03:45 PM

Now that they've had their fun with you, I'd say to check out Latex Mold
making material.... or such. I've made molds with it and it may be the
consistency you're looking for. Or try good old silicone in a tube, eh?
Squirt that stuff into your mold and give it a week or so to cure... or
simply build it up in 1/4" thick layers which will cure overnight, than add
another layer. It does come in black for that traditional all stopped up
look. I only "ask outside the box" when my thinker stops thinking outside
same. See what else YOU can come up with and let US know....;-) I'm sure
curious... and remember, the perfect wheel ain't been invented yet!

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

=======================================

gs July 8th 05 03:36 PM

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:17:12 GMT, wrote:

Greetings all,

I would like to make my own rubber stoppers I have created a mold using plaster of paris,
I have tried epoxy and fiberglass resin but these end up being to hard does anyone know
what I can use to make softer rubber stoppers.

TIA SAL

I have used both of these firms products, to build flexible molds and
for hard cast resins. What makes these 2 places excellent are their
"how-to" guides so you can learn about the different properties you
can cast.

http://www.polytek.com/
http://www.smooth-on.com/

- Ed

Sundog July 14th 05 03:48 PM

Solly Cholly .... that is the recommended procedure direct from Corning for
filling in large cavities. I was on a project in Austin once where the glass
company hung a 3' high x 12' long, 1" thick piece of plate glass over the
entry to the ballroom prefunction area (after I'd etched on it). The glass
was first positioned top-edge-down into a steel beam with steel plates
attached 6" tall .... the 1/2" wide cavity left betweem the front and rear
surfaces of the glass was filled, 1/2" at a time per instructions, with
silicone...and this, according to Corning, would support the entire weight
of the glass!!!!! The glass company decided to put 2 small steel supports
under the very ends ofg the glass "in case"...I agreed! The entire piece was
then flipped over and hung by the steel beam between the floor to ceiling
etched panels on either end. Technically amazing...I did my part, they did
theirs.....

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
fresh silicone generally won't stick to cured silicone. nothing usually
sticks to it, for that matter.

ink.net...

Sundog July 14th 05 04:04 PM

Hahahahah.... It was hung about 20 years ago in the "new' Marriott at the
Capitol in Austin, Tejas..... I never saw anything about in on the evening
news....LOL....so I guess it's still hanging there...;-)

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .
And so far, the guillotine hasn't fallen? How long was it in the air

before
you finally stopped holding your breath? Wow, what a story.

"Sundog" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

ink.net...