CraftBanter

-   Polymer Clay (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sculpey Ultralight (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=83835)

Emmett May 21st 07 07:09 AM

Sculpey Ultralight

Oh yeah, I'm loving this stuff! Does anyone know just how thick you
can go with it? I've been using foil for armature building, but the
packaging for the Ultralight says it's a good substitute. But they
don't say how thick you can go, and how long will it take to cure? I
know the general 15 minutes per 1/4 inch rule, but does that mean I
can sculpt a piece 4 inches thick and then bake it for 4 hours? Seems
a little excessive.....

nanner June 7th 07 09:41 PM

Sculpey Ultralight

"Emmett" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh yeah, I'm loving this stuff! Does anyone know just how thick you
can go with it? I've been using foil for armature building, but the
packaging for the Ultralight says it's a good substitute. But they
don't say how thick you can go, and how long will it take to cure? I
know the general 15 minutes per 1/4 inch rule, but does that mean I
can sculpt a piece 4 inches thick and then bake it for 4 hours? Seems
a little excessive.....

what are you making? sculpture? in general you wouldn't do 4" thick clay
anyway. Is the package saying you can use the Ultralights as an alternative
to other "filler", I can see that being good for large focal beads so as to
reduce the weight of a necklace. For a sculpture though, I would continue to
make a foil and wire armature.

any pictures of what you've used it for?

----
www.enchantedwhimsies.com

Kristy June 20th 07 04:23 AM

Sculpey Ultralight

I've gone 2 inches. But I baked the 2 inch Ultralight FIRST then built
it up ( or built around it) and baked it according to the other clay
used.