CraftBanter

-   -   New Log Cabin Quilt (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=81086)

offkilterquilter February 26th 07 03:46 AM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

CATS wrote:
Hhmmmm! I hadn't encountered the spoken word before so I
would have assumed that either "ph" or "th" were silent.

Thanks for my learning exercise of the day lol

Maybe you could help me out with a word I haven't found
(mind you, probably not looking all that hard either!). I
was wearing a tee shirt with "ailurophile" on the front (cat
lover) and someone asked me what the correct term was for a
dog lover. I couldn't remember. Don't suppose you would
happen to know, would you? TIA

well..skylos is ancient greek for dog.....not sure that helps any

Larisa, too scared to turn around and take a look at the piles of fabric
and patterns everywhere, so hunting online for various things

Megan Zurawicz February 26th 07 04:37 AM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

Not remotely what I would have expected: philocynic.

--pig

On 2/25/07 20:22, in article , "CATS"

Cats February 26th 07 05:03 AM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

That's right! Well done pig!! After posting I decided I
was just being lazy by not looking myself. I stumbled
across this -
http://f2.org/humour/language/oddwords.html - and lost an
hour reading and chuckling to myself!

I will probably not get another thing done all afternoon,
but who cares!? I am now on a quest to find out where the
word derived from and if there is a link to the modern word
"cynic". From there who know what I will link to? I don't
often "surf" just for the fun of seeing where I end up, but
I am in the mood today.
--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

"Megan Zurawicz" wrote in message
: Not remotely what I would have expected: philocynic.
:
: --pig
:
:
: On 2/25/07 20:22, in article
, "CATS"
:

recarlos February 26th 07 01:13 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

How can I get to see this quilt.All I can get is the log in page for photo
bucket, what am I doing wrong?

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

Ruth
Sydney

Pat in Virginia February 26th 07 03:51 PM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

Did you happen to notice this one on the same list?
cynophobe : The dog-fearer or hater, and not just

the mailman and milkman.

If you come across an explanation or connection to
cynic, please do tell us!

Ta, PAT

Kathy Applebaum February 26th 07 06:53 PM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

Apparently, I'm avoiding work today. *grin*

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none has the
origin of cynic, and it is related to dogs.
Comes from the Greek "kynikos", meaning dog-like.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Taria February 26th 07 07:32 PM

Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

I think if you and my brilliant dd got together while avoiding
work you could take over the world! LOL
Taria

Pati Cook February 26th 07 08:17 PM

OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

LOL That is a pet peeve with me... in the opposite direction, Pig.
I started pronouncing it before I knew the "t" was supposed to be
silent. I learned to read phonetically, and it is written as "oft-en"
so obviously that is how it should be pronounced. BG I have cleaned
it up mostly, but if I am tired a soft "t" sound does happen. (And at
one point anyway, that was a secondary pronunciation.)

Pati, in Phx with a DH who is a writer, who can sometimes spell but not
pronounce words. (But thank goodness for spell check for him too....)

Megan Zurawicz wrote:

My favorite example of that is "off tin". T in "often" has been silent how
many centuries? when these folks decide to be "cultured-er than thou" and
studiously enunciate it.......

--pig

On 2/23/07 03:59, in article , "Sally
Swindells" wrote:

My pet hate is difficult to describe, but is what I call 'false
gentrification' of the language.

Patti February 26th 07 09:32 PM

OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

Oft-en with a pronounced 'T' is perfectly acceptable. So, don't worry
Pati. It is definitely an alternative pronunciation and not incorrect.
..
In message . net, Pati
Cook writes
LOL That is a pet peeve with me... in the opposite direction, Pig.
I started pronouncing it before I knew the "t" was supposed to be
silent. I learned to read phonetically, and it is written as "oft-en"
so obviously that is how it should be pronounced. BG I have cleaned
it up mostly, but if I am tired a soft "t" sound does happen. (And at
one point anyway, that was a secondary pronunciation.)

Pati, in Phx with a DH who is a writer, who can sometimes spell but
not pronounce words. (But thank goodness for spell check for him
too....)

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

John February 27th 07 03:25 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 26, 7:13 am, "recarlos" wrote:
How can I get to see this quilt.All I can get is the log in page for photo
bucket, what am I doing wrong?

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

Ruth
Sydney

I don't know why, but the link was broken. Below is a new link. I am
not sure if photobucket is the best place to host pictures.Hope this
helps.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...CabinQuilt.jpg

John

John February 27th 07 03:30 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 26, 9:25 pm, "John" wrote:
On Feb 26, 7:13 am, "recarlos" wrote:

How can I get to see this quilt.All I can get is the log in page for photo
bucket, what am I doing wrong?

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

Ruth
Sydney

I don't know why, but the link was broken. Below is a new link. I am
not sure if photobucket is the best place to host pictures.Hope this
helps.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

John

I will try again. Evidently Photobucket is having a bad day. I hope
this one works. If not I will have to contact them later or tomorrow.

John

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...arhead/sewing/

Dee in Oz February 27th 07 04:23 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Try this Ruth

http://tinyurl.com/2x7ws3

Dee in Oz

recarlos February 27th 07 12:15 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Thank you John.
That is a beautiful quilt, you must be very happy with it. I couldn't even
attempt something like that.
Ruth
Sydney

Maureen Wozniak February 27th 07 02:45 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:30:36 -0600, John wrote
(in article . com):

On Feb 26, 9:25 pm, "John" wrote:
On Feb 26, 7:13 am, "recarlos" wrote:

How can I get to see this quilt.All I can get is the log in page for photo
bucket, what am I doing wrong?

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

Ruth
Sydney

I don't know why, but the link was broken. Below is a new link. I am
not sure if photobucket is the best place to host pictures.Hope this
helps.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

John

I will try again. Evidently Photobucket is having a bad day. I hope
this one works. If not I will have to contact them later or tomorrow.

John

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...arhead/sewing/

Very nice quilt! You're on a roll John.

Maureen