CraftBanter

-   -   pattern for adult bibs (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=64929)

thelaws February 12th 06 06:01 AM

pattern for adult bibs

I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the bib
on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap and
don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay

--
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

maryd February 12th 06 06:07 AM

pattern for adult bibs

A friend of mine made bibs for her mother using the flannel backed vinyl.
There is a pattern here. http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ec_bibs.html

--
Mary (Idaho to Oregon via Montana)

"thelaws" wrote in message
: I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
: using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the
bib
: on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap and
: don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay
:
: --

Bobbie Sews More February 12th 06 09:06 AM

pattern for adult bibs

When mom was in a nursing home I made terry bibs for her. The home used
woven cloth "clothing protectors" made of the same poly/cotton as hospital
gowns. HTH
Barbara in SC

Cheryl in Oz February 12th 06 10:03 AM

pattern for adult bibs

I made about 100 for a home once using handtowells that were given to us as
seconds by a manufacturer. I cut slightly-larger-than-head-sized holes
towards one end and put wide ribbing bands on - like a loose crew neck.
They were quick and easy on the overlocker as they were needed in a hurry.
All the towells were white, but the bands were all different colours, and
they stood up to some pretty rough treatment in the home's laundry system.

I have dome something similar with pretty tea towells that were thick enough
too.

I was told that another lady made bibs from old sweats by cutting around the
back neck and down the front, then overlocking the edge, The lady at the
home I was sewing for at the time said they had been trimmed to look very
pretty, but I was asked for quick and tough so I never tried it.

We generally found that waiting for suitable towells in thrift shops was too
slow. But local manufacturers were usually pretty generous about giving us
seconds and with careful cutting the fault was often eliminated.
--

Cheryl in Oz
cawaitesATnetconnectDOTcomDOTau

Cheryl in Oz February 12th 06 10:06 AM

pattern for adult bibs

BTW - do you have an overlocker?

Have you considered using the less worn ends of towells? They might be
easier to come by.

thelaws February 12th 06 03:24 PM

pattern for adult bibs

Yes I do have a serger, and use that for bibs. I hadn't thought of old bath
towels, I can start in my bathroom cupboards. Kay

thelaws February 12th 06 03:26 PM

pattern for adult bibs

Yes, they are about a dollar a piece, thats actuallly what I am using now.
Kay

"IMS" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:01:32 GMT, "thelaws" wrote:

I am making adult bibs for a rest home. I have a Salvation Army pattern
using a terry hand towel , making a deep u and using Velcro to hook the
bib
on. Does anyone know of another pattern? (hand towels aren't cheap and
don't make it to the thrift shops very often.) tia Kay

Did you try the towels that are available at the dollar stores? They
are often seconds, but since you cut them up anyway.....

-Irene

--------------
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West
--------------

craftydragon1951 February 12th 06 05:11 PM

pattern for adult bibs

BJs and Sam's Club frequently have bundles of hand towels or dish
towels that are cheap. Also Target and Walmart. NAYY

In terms of a pattern, you could turn under one end (like a pole top
curtain) and run a piece of ribbon thru as a tie.

Shana

Ginger in CA February 12th 06 06:12 PM

pattern for adult bibs

Maybe for a real quick/need it in a hurry, you could sew down some wide
ties made from scraps to the short ends of hand towels. They would be
long enough to drape down and cover the clothes fairly well?

Ginger in CA