CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Damn Basement Bandits... (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=88254)

Moonraker[_2_] October 23rd 07 05:42 PM

Damn Basement Bandits...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/art/456574734.html

[email protected] October 23rd 07 07:19 PM

Damn Basement Bandits...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...0%2d317%2d8730

Michael[_2_] October 24th 07 03:13 AM

Damn Basement Bandits...

Very nice! I wonder why they don't want them anymore? They were
obviously made for that location. I would think it would be difficult
to sell a set of three windows that were custom-built for a specific
location.

You mention basement bandits. Is $1K apiece for them dirt cheap? I'm
not overly familiar with pricing, but they look like they could each
be put together in about a day's time. If there's $200 in materials
in one, that's $800 for labor and overhead. Take a hundred out of
that and a guy would still have enough to get drunk on.

Michael

Glassman@work October 24th 07 05:28 PM

Damn Basement Bandits...

https://accounts.craigslist.org/post...52360508&db=lv

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Glassman@work October 24th 07 05:35 PM

Damn Basement Bandits...

"Michael" wrote in message
ups.com...
Very nice! I wonder why they don't want them anymore? They were
obviously made for that location. I would think it would be difficult
to sell a set of three windows that were custom-built for a specific
location.

You mention basement bandits. Is $1K apiece for them dirt cheap? I'm
not overly familiar with pricing, but they look like they could each
be put together in about a day's time. If there's $200 in materials
in one, that's $800 for labor and overhead. Take a hundred out of
that and a guy would still have enough to get drunk on.

Michael

Pricing is often determined by what we call "perceived value". Just
because you can make something for $10, should you sell it for $20 when it
looks like it's worth $100? An artisan must make money whenever possible to
support all the ones that won't sell at all. People that make money in this
craft, usually have found a little niche to easily make something quickly,
that looks like it's worth alot more than it should be. Sounds like double
talk, but this is the biggest reason so few of us make a living doing this
stuff. If it wasn't for all the repair and restoration, it would be even
fewer.

[email protected] October 24th 07 07:55 PM

Damn Basement Bandits...

On Oct 24, 9:35 am, "Glassman@work" wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Well, I have a friend who paints. Takes him maybe a couple three hours
to do a 24" x 30" canvas. Sells them for around $1500. I'm gonna learn
how to paint...or maybe I don't need to "learn"...just grab some paint
and have ago at it and then call it art!!

Glassman October 25th 07 01:27 AM

Damn Basement Bandits...

ups.com...
"Michael" wrote in message

Well, I have a friend who paints. Takes him maybe a couple three hours
to do a 24" x 30" canvas. Sells them for around $1500. I'm gonna learn
how to paint...or maybe I don't need to "learn"...just grab some paint
and have ago at it and then call it art!!

Celine sings for 45 minutes a night in Vegas and makes 1 million/week.
Maybe you could learn how to sing Andy? All joking aside, isn't anything
better than long hours, sucking up those fumes, lead under our fingernails,
and bleeding for our art? Of course I can afford to be cynical and smug
these days huh?

Michael[_2_] October 26th 07 03:21 AM

Damn Basement Bandits...

JK wrote:

Pricing is often determined by what we call "perceived value". Just
because you can make something for $10, should you sell it for $20
when it looks like it's worth $100?

****************
Well, I'm good with that. That supports my perception of stained
glass as an art instead of just a craft.

Michael

no where June 18th 08 12:15 AM

Damn Basement Bandits...

"Michael" wrote in message

Michael

Pricing is often determined by what we call "perceived value". J

Well, I have a friend who paints. Takes him maybe a couple three hours
to do a 24" x 30" canvas. Sells them for around $1500. I'm gonna learn
how to paint...or maybe I don't need to "learn"...just grab some paint
and have ago at it and then call it art!!

.. If you are a glass artist and venture into this "no need to learn
painting" style of work.....Stay away from squirt
bottles.....otherwise you may be violating a copyright owned by a
certain Seattle glass artist!.

kb richard