CraftBanter

-   Sewing (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Roman blinds (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37077)

Lizzie August 10th 03 09:02 PM

Roman blinds

I'm going to make a roman blind for the first time. It seems simple enough
but one thing worries me. I read somewhere that if you have a wide window
it's best to make two blinds to hang side by side. The one I'm making is
84" wide. Can anyone tell me if a blind this width would work OK? I really
don't want two blinds as it's for a bedroom and light would certainly get in
between two blinds.

Kate Dicey August 10th 03 10:59 PM

Lizzie wrote:

I'm going to make a roman blind for the first time. It seems simple enough
but one thing worries me. I read somewhere that if you have a wide window
it's best to make two blinds to hang side by side. The one I'm making is
84" wide. Can anyone tell me if a blind this width would work OK? I really
don't want two blinds as it's for a bedroom and light would certainly get in
between two blinds.

No reason why you shouldn't do it that size, but be aware that there
will be more strain on the cords, and they will wear through quicker.
It is my experience that Roman blind cords ALWAYS wear through! I had 4
sets on one blind before I finally gave up and put up curtains! Mind
you, the blind was 16 years old by the time I replaced it, and rotting
away in holes anyway!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Lizzie August 11th 03 09:20 AM

Thanks Kate

The patterns I've seen have all advised three cords, but I'm planning to put
four. I know this won't stop them wearing out but I reckon it will make the
blind stronger.

Lizzie

taria August 11th 03 02:48 PM

I did a roman blind that was over 80". It had about 6 cords.
Works great. Roman blinds are really a wonderful option for
window coverings IMO.
Taria

Lizzie wrote:

Thanks Kate

The patterns I've seen have all advised three cords, but I'm planning to put
four. I know this won't stop them wearing out but I reckon it will make the
blind stronger.

Lizzie

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

[email protected] August 11th 03 02:59 PM

Roman blinds

(taria)
I did a roman blind that was over 80". It had about 6 cords. Works
great. Roman blinds are really a wonderful option for window coverings
IMO.
Taria
---
Yes, they are!! However, I found that the over-wide blinds, if they
are backed with sun-block fabric, are heavy, and wear the cords out much
faster. Plus, IMHO, one would want to put less holes in them, not more,
to lessen the light showing through the holes. Odd how you can get so
sensitive to tiny pin-pricks of light showing, after living with
morning's full glory for so many years. : )
Cea blinking and complaining

Lizzie August 11th 03 04:59 PM

Thanks for the advice Taria. I think I'll make it six cords just to be
safe.

Lizzie

[email protected] August 12th 03 04:28 AM

Roman blinds

(Lizzie)
Cea - holes? I've never actually made a roman blind yet, but from what
I've seen the rings are sewn on to the back of the batten pocket so I
didn't think there would be any holes to let light in?
---
Different construction methods-- the shades which I made were a flat
construction, no batten pockets, and the sunblock changes the fabric in
a way-- stitching through the two layers (cotton face fabric, rubberized
sunblock) punches small holes.
Given the fact that one of the shades I made is over-wide and heavy,
over time, the weight of the shade, pulled up and down, stressed the
plastic rings, some of which broke, most of which pulled a tiny bit
larger holes in the rubberized backing. I'd have been better off with
two smaller shades. I've replaced rings and cording several times, but I
must admit, the shade is almost 10 years old.
Next time, maybe I'll experiment with batten
pockets. :)
Cea