CraftBanter

-   -   Quiltmaker Magazine (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=104866)

Taria[_2_] September 8th 09 04:46 AM

Quiltmaker Magazine

Is anyone familiar with this info:
http://annchampion.com/?p=250

Maybe Mickie but not sure she is at
liberty to talk about it.
Taria

Dragonfly[_2_] September 8th 09 06:07 AM

Quiltmaker Magazine

Wow. Just read about it. I had heard of the purchase of the magazine group
but didn't realize they hadn't been paying their obligations.

What sucks for me is that I subscribed to several of these at the ASG
conference in Albuquerque in July. Wonder if they will honor the
subscription and if I'll ever get my magazines? Or is my money gone?

This totally stinks for Ann.

Dragonfly(Pam)

Kate September 8th 09 07:54 AM

Quiltmaker Magazine

We hear a lot about copyright laws. Do not use the pattern in quilt
shows with permission of the designer, use the designer's name on the
quilt, do not use the patterns for anything other than personal use,
etc.

Isn't this case also a violation of copyright laws.

After all they contacted and duped her. Bait and switch. When a
company takes over another company they assume all assets and debts
too, don't they. The takeover has re-written the contract without
the consent of the quilt designer.

Sounds like lawsuit time against the company and the individuals that
represented the company.

And this is my opinion.

Kate T.

Sally Swindells September 8th 09 01:01 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

At least she got her quilt back.

Its definitely gone 'worldwide' now.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallyattheseaside/

Polly Esther[_5_] September 8th 09 01:12 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

I'm in a hurry this morning and didn't read all of that. Would somebody
please tell me if Ann DID get her quilt back? Polly
"Kate" wrote We hear a lot about copyright laws. Do not use the pattern in

Allison September 8th 09 03:10 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

Taria wrote:
Is anyone familiar with this info:
http://annchampion.com/?p=250

Maybe Mickie but not sure she is at
liberty to talk about it.
Taria

IMHO, it seems like the people at Quiltmaker Magazine thought they could
walk all over Ann and ignore her requests for payment. It's definitely
backfiring on them now.

Allison

[email protected] September 8th 09 03:14 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

Polly,

She got her quilt back. Then she got the run-around (seriously) when
trying to get payment. Company claiming it is outside the dates for
what they will cover, even though publication date is in the range.
All she got was one (or was it two) free copies of the mag, with her
quilt on the cover and her instructions inside...

But she did get her quilt back.

Hanne in DK

Sandy September 8th 09 03:26 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

In article ,
"Taria" wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this info:
http://annchampion.com/?p=250

Maybe Mickie but not sure she is at
liberty to talk about it.
Taria

OMG! This sounds terrible! Poor Ann! I have subscribed to Quilters
Newsletter for a couple of decades now, but this sort of treatment could
make me change my ways when my subscription expires. :(

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net

TinaR September 8th 09 03:40 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

I've been reading about Ann's experience, and I feel it is up to the
new owner,
New Track Media, to make this right. I know that perhaps in a narrow
legal
sense, they are not liable, but in a larger sense, one which would
recognize
that they rely on the contributions of original designers, they would
not let
$300 give them a black eye.

This new company owns almost every major quilting magazine you will
see on the
rack, PLUS Keepsake Quilting (mail order, store, everything).

I don't know if they realize that this one incident can hurt them
across the
board - I have seen this story on several quilting/sewing boards, and
it can
quickly turn into a boycott.

-Tina in Sowal

Roberta[_3_] September 8th 09 03:48 PM

Quiltmaker Magazine

My local quilting group has a member with APO access, so we're
collecting all the subscription cards we can find and sending them in
with "Pay Ann Champion".
IMO Ann ought to contact other contributors over the past several
issues and find out how many others have been cheated. Can't be a
one-off! If they all hire a lawyer together, something would get done.
Roberta in D