CraftBanter

-   -   New Log Cabin Quilt (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=81086)

John February 19th 07 01:08 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...CabinQuilt.jpg

John

John February 19th 07 02:11 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 18, 9:03 pm, Jacqueline
wrote:
Oh that is so pretty, I just love the use of the colors here and the
layout.

John, You do excellent work, hope your quilting widow enjoys it, it
beats being a football widow, at least you have something to show for
your time.

Jacqueline in KY

On 18 Feb 2007 17:08:48 -0800, "John"
wrote:

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

John

Actually she is my biggest fan. Very supportive. We went to the store
and she helped pick out the colors so that she would get something
that she could feel a part of. I didn't try to steer her in any
particular direction as to colors. When we came to a decision, I
deferred to her choices and she is very happy with it. It was fun to
make and I probably will do others of that design. It was done in a
marathon endeavor over the course of 1 week. She said I should get the
all time speed award.
Not sure about that. Fun.

John

TerriLee in WA \(state\) February 19th 07 02:33 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Beautiful, John. Lovely colors and layout. I just wish I could finish
things as fast as you do. "Quilting widow" indeed. She could do what my DH
is doing, and set up her own space for sewing. He made ascot-like things
yesterday, for the American Legion Riders group he belongs to.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to reply

oups.com...

polly esther February 19th 07 02:50 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Wow, John, that's gorgeous. I'm curious. I notice that your center
sashings are a little wider than the others. Were you following a pattern
or was this a design element that seemed like a good idea on your own?
Never saw that before (of course, there's lots I've never seen) but it looks
wonderful. Polly

Boca Jan February 19th 07 03:00 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Really beautiful John. I shared it with my DH and he thought you did a great
job too.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

oups.com...

Anne Rogers February 19th 07 05:35 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

wow!

Anne

Patti S February 19th 07 06:08 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Beautiful...... just beautiful. I can't believe how quickly you're
getting your quilts done! Weren't you the one that said he was ready for
a "break" a few weeks ago? :-

Patti in Seattle

Jessamy February 19th 07 10:18 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

I *love* this one! I like the way you have a wider sashing in the centre!

--
Jessamy
Queen of Chocolate Squishies (and Occasional Liquorice Ones)

Estelle Gallagher February 19th 07 11:14 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

That is great John, I love it!! Hope DW does too!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

oups.com...

Karen, Queen of Squishies February 19th 07 12:29 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

A wonderful consolation to her, nicely done!

Karen, Queen of Squishies
-----
www.PlayPianoNow.info

John February 19th 07 01:32 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 18, 9:50 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Wow, John, that's gorgeous. I'm curious. I notice that your center
sashings are a little wider than the others. Were you following a pattern
or was this a design element that seemed like a good idea on your own?
Never saw that before (of course, there's lots I've never seen) but it looks
wonderful. Polly

I used a picture in one of my quilt books as inspiration. There would
be no way to reduce the width of the center sashings, as that would
reduce the overall width of that group of squares to some degree. Or
at least to my understanding of it. The center sashings are consistent
both horizontally and vertically so I think it balances out in the
long run. And the (sashings) are in fact created by the dark color
strip on the outside (dark color) of the pattern squares. They just
are dominant because they are butted, when placed in that orientation.
In a couple of pictures in the same book, they show a zig-zag pattern
which does not have that effect due to the non butting of the dark
colors. All strips are 1" finished and consistent throughout.

John

John February 19th 07 01:49 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 19, 1:08 am, (Patti S) wrote:
Beautiful...... just beautiful. I can't believe how quickly you're
getting your quilts done! Weren't you the one that said he was ready for
a "break" a few weeks ago? :-

Patti in Seattle

I am entering rehab today. I have admitted my addiction and hope to be
able to confront my weakness. Please somebody, stop me before I quilt
again. On the other hand, to hell with rehab, I am having too much
fun. You are all a bunch of enablers.

John

Cats February 19th 07 02:02 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Please could you repost the link to your LC quilt? I miss A
LOT of posts and I would love to see. LC is one of my
favourite pieced blocks.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Feb 18, 9:50 pm, "Polly Esther"
:

John February 19th 07 02:09 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 19, 9:02 am, "CATS" wrote:
Please could you repost the link to your LC quilt? I miss A
LOT of posts and I would love to see. LC is one of my
favourite pieced blocks.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donuthttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

Here you go.

Patti February 19th 07 02:14 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

It's lovely, John. That was a very short 'rest' g
Before long you will have a list of requests as long as your arm!
It's great that you are getting photographs of them all, as you go
along.
..
In message , Jessamy
writes
I *love* this one! I like the way you have a wider sashing in the centre!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Debi Matlack February 19th 07 02:16 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

John, it's GORGEOUS! Now your wife isn't a quilt widow, she's a recipient!
Thanks for sharing,
--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

oups.com...

John February 19th 07 02:21 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 18, 9:33 pm, "TerriLee in WA \(state\)"
wrote:
Beautiful, John. Lovely colors and layout. I just wish I could finish
things as fast as you do. "Quilting widow" indeed. She could do what my DH
is doing, and set up her own space for sewing. He made ascot-like things
yesterday, for the American Legion Riders group he belongs to.
--
TerriLee in WA (state)
remove the cats to replyhttp://community.webshots.com/user/tlbishop

"John" wrote in message

oups.com...

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...ng/?action=vie...

John

I have set up a Bernina 220, with lots of pressure feet, for my wife
to use and I helped her make her first apron last week. She picked out
the fabric and did a great job on it. I bought her some vegetable
themed fabric, online and she loved them. ( We are long time
Vegetarians). She will be making 3 more aprons from that fabric, and
maybe the bug will bite her by the time she finishes them. I hope so,
with the one caveat; I demand the right of possession on the new steam
generator iron. This is a non negotiable demand and I will fight to
defend it. Just kidding! It would be great if we could share my passon
for sewing.

John

Roberta Zollner February 19th 07 05:20 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Very pretty set, the red looks like sashing. Well done! (Hope your wife
liked it!)
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Roberta Zollner February 19th 07 05:23 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

We are the last people to help you stop!
Roberta in D, fellow addict

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ups.com...

Sandy February 19th 07 05:34 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

In article .com,
"John" wrote:

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74...n=view&current
=LogCabinQuilt.jpg

John

I do like it, John! It's just beautiful, and I'm sure your
"self-professed quilting widow" does, too. G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)

[email protected] February 19th 07 06:56 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Well done, John! It looks beautiful and perfect. My DH John (known as
the Count) just completed his Carpenters Square quilt (no ability to
show photos) and had some degree of fame. Fons and Porter accepted and
had on their show his Tip of the Day Show #911 last Sat. He was a wood
patternmaker, and loves the accuracy part of quilting, pus the accolades
from our Quilt Guild. He's the only male member. LOL Nancycog in MD

Donna in NE La. February 20th 07 12:07 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Beautiful, John!! Love the colors!!

--
Donna in NE La.
oups.com...

Kay Ahr[_2_] February 20th 07 01:58 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Book? I'm a bibliophile. (I think that means I love books, not that I
mistreat them.) And now quilt books!

Your quilt is magnificent! Your wife's color choices are magnificent! I'm
looking forward to seeing your next project.
--
Kay Ahr in NV
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
I used a picture in one of my quilt books as inspiration. . . . . In a

John February 20th 07 02:38 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 19, 8:58 pm, "Kay Ahr" wrote:
Book? I'm a bibliophile. (I think that means I love books, not that I
mistreat them.) And now quilt books!

Your quilt is magnificent! Your wife's color choices are magnificent! I'm
looking forward to seeing your next project.
--
Kay Ahr in NV
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"John" wrote in message

oups.com... I used a picture in one of my quilt books as inspiration. . . . . In couple of pictures in the same book, they show a zig-zag pattern.

John

My wife has just published a reference book on revolutionary war
patriots. She was director of copy editing services for a large legal
publishing company for many years before retirement. I laughingly
refer to her as "Conan the Grammarian". She copy edits signs alongside
the freeway and is a charter member of the apostrophe police. I
sometimes wonder how we ever got together, based on my casual approach
to spelling.

John

Donna in Idaho February 20th 07 03:08 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Beautiful quilt!
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

oups.com...

Carolyn McCarty February 20th 07 03:39 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

John, that is definitely a WOW quilt--a real eye-opener! Love it! I may
have to try that idea in my next quilt for my son, I have not yet done a Log
Cabin and that one really excites me.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

oups.com...

polly esther February 20th 07 03:44 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Please tell your sweetheart about the sign at the grocery today. It offered
"potato's at $2 for five pounds or $5 for ten pounds". That happens all
the time, I simply try not to look. Polly

"John" wrote, in part She copy edits signs alongside

Patti February 20th 07 07:58 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Ah, but would they allow you to buy two sets of five pounds for $4?

I am the self-appointed UK representative of the apostrophe (and Maths!)
police gg
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

Sally Swindells February 20th 07 08:52 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

Patti wrote:
Ah, but would they allow you to buy two sets of five pounds for $4?

I am the self-appointed UK representative of the apostrophe (and Maths!)
police gg
.
In message , Polly Esther
writes
Please tell your sweetheart about the sign at the grocery today. It
offered
"potato's at $2 for five pounds or $5 for ten pounds". That happens all
the time, I simply try not to look. Polly

I wonder why the words potato/potatoes/tomato/tomatoes seem to cause
such confusion - If apples were for sale they'd be sure to get it right!

Local restaurant had Leek and Potatoe Soup on their very large board
outside. Wondered if the toes wriggled!

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Patti February 20th 07 11:09 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

I even wonder about that these days!
..
In message , Sally Swindells
writes

Nancy in NS February 20th 07 02:44 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

wrote:

Well, I just finished my latest quilt. A 66"x 66" lap quilt for my
wife; (the self professed quilting widow). I think it is my best
effort to date. Hope you like it.

Beautiful! You do lovely, precise work. :)

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt

Jessamy February 20th 07 03:07 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

I'd be making trouble with the manager about the maths not about the
spelling - I would not appreciate paying $1 more for having twice the
amount - in fact if anything it should be cheaper (normally larger packs are
cheaper per pound than smaller ones)

Irrational Number February 21st 07 04:54 AM

New Log Cabin Quilt

John wrote:

My wife has just published a reference book on revolutionary war
patriots. She [...] is a charter member of the apostrophe police.

I love her! I received a copy of "Shoots, Eats, and Leaves"
for Christmas and have been wholeheartedly enjoying reading
it!

-- Anita --

John February 21st 07 01:20 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

On Feb 20, 11:54 pm, Irrational Number wrote:
John wrote:

My wife has just published a reference book on revolutionary war
patriots. She [...] is a charter member of the apostrophe police.

I love her! I received a copy of "Shoots, Eats, and Leaves"
for Christmas and have been wholeheartedly enjoying reading
it!

-- Anita --

I gave that book to her for her birthday. So much for sentimentality.
She loved it by the way.

John

Patti February 21st 07 05:13 PM

New Log Cabin Quilt

I have it, too!
It was a revelation to the 12 year-old I was tutoring for two years - to
realise that punctuation was not a torture invented by teachers, but a
functional and vital part of the English language g
..
In message om, John
writes

Pat in Virginia February 21st 07 06:07 PM

OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

Shoots, Eats, and Leaves is terrific. Yesterday I took
a bunch of stuff to the charity shop, and found a NEW
copy of that book. I gladly bought it for just $1.00.
Someone must have gotten it for a gift and was not
pleased. My gain.
PAT in VA/USA

Lynnette in San Jose February 21st 07 10:56 PM

OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt

OK, if we're going to talk about this book I have to point out that it
is Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. The whole pun of 'Eats Shoots' is kind
of lost with the title.

Not to pick on anyone but after the 3rd post with the wrong title I
had to speak up. I'm not an editor, just a technical writer!

I once bought a pair of those cheap canvas slip-on shoes with
something like rope for the soles at a discount store. They were
labelled 'shoes' $1 so I always called them my quote shoes unquote.

obligatory quilt topic - I've been working on my Christmas quilt, plus
making batik squares from a LQS BOM. I don't always like their
combinations of batiks, and I'm still looking for another piece of
fabric for the Christmas quilt (hard to find in February!) so I'm
having a lot of SEX.

More about that later....

Lynnette

Patti wrote:
I have it, too!
It was a revelation to the 12 year-old I was tutoring for two years - to
realise that punctuation was not a torture invented by teachers, but a
functional and vital part of the English language g
.
In message om, John
writes

I love her! I received a copy of "Shoots, Eats, and Leaves"
for Christmas and have been wholeheartedly enjoying reading
it!

-- Anita --

I gave that book to her for her birthday. So much for sentimentality.
She loved it by the way.

John- Hide quoted text -