CraftBanter

-   Pottery (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Homemade propane nozzle? (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=73582)

Bill DeWitt August 4th 06 09:41 PM

Homemade propane nozzle?

I have seen some intricate plans for black iron nozzles but I wonder if
anyone knows of pages with any information about the -how- and -why- of
propane nozzle design. I'm wondering if I could shape one directly into the
firebrick.

Richard Kaszeta August 4th 06 10:04 PM

Homemade propane nozzle?

"Bill DeWitt" writes:

I have seen some intricate plans for black iron nozzles but I wonder if
anyone knows of pages with any information about the -how- and -why- of
propane nozzle design. I'm wondering if I could shape one directly into the
firebrick.

The answer is yes, you can, and this isn't uncommon in high temp
foundry applications where the burner can generate temperatures high
enough to melt the nozzle.

I must ask, however, why?

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

Bill DeWitt August 5th 06 12:35 AM

Homemade propane nozzle?

"Richard Kaszeta" wrote :

I must ask, however, why?

Thanks for your response, Richard.

As I am working with a ridiculously small 2 in. sq. (8 cu in) kiln, I
was thinking about more evenly distributing the output of a propane torch by
having the four corners of the floor drilled for small nozzles. Unless I
have some knowledge about the actual science of nozzle design though, I
can't see creating anything efficient enough to warrant the effort. Unless I
know what I am doing, it would be easier to just add a second torch at cross
purposes.

For instance, I found a reference that implies that the traditional bend
in a propane torch is there for a reason other than making the flame angle
adjustable. The article did not state so, but I suspect that it more fully
mixes the air/propane flow before it hits the expansion chamber. I could
accomplish that with an offset Bernoulli type air port, or even an
adjustable set screw-like protruding perturbance if I knew for sure that was
the reason.

I'll be pestering Google for the next few hours but if someone reading
this knows a little more than I do, some hints about accurate search terms
or even a link for actual nozzle design would be a blessing.

Bill DeWitt August 5th 06 12:46 AM

Homemade propane nozzle?

Err... substitute "venturi" for "Bernoulli"

BTW, I did just find one interesting page,
http://www.combust.com.au/catalog/detail/burners/burners.htm

steve [email protected] August 5th 06 04:40 AM

Homemade propane nozzle?

it dawned on me Bill that you're thinking of a propane bottle torch,
like that used in brazing pipes, when potters think of propane torches
are those used for raku kilns or main kilns in general.

intriguing idea of using those small torches in a small kiln! i bet
that can be made to work well for small items. hot hot do you fire? a
typical propane brazing torch might actually last in your size kiln.

that kiln would surly be under your budget price of $200 or so. i've
seen kilns in the local penny saver newspaper for around that price.
bigger ones that might actually be too big for what you're doing.

see ya

steve

Bill DeWitt August 5th 06 02:11 PM

Homemade propane nozzle?

wrote in message
ps.com...
it dawned on me Bill that you're thinking of a propane bottle torch,
like that used in brazing pipes, when potters think of propane torches
are those used for raku kilns or main kilns in general.

Yes, I'm sorry. Apparently my handy-man biased assumptions were
confusing. I've learned a little overnight, but really would like to see
wider sources of information.

intriguing idea of using those small torches in a small kiln! i bet
that can be made to work well for small items. hot hot do you fire? a
typical propane brazing torch might actually last in your size kiln.

I have made glass-like beads out of clay-like mud, but have no other
real indication of top temperatures acheived. My extreme noob status
concerning kilns cannot be overstated.