CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   3d design software for tiffany lamps (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=88277)

[email protected] October 24th 07 12:27 PM

3d design software for tiffany lamps

Anyone here that uses computer software for designing tiffany lamps in
3D perspective? I'm not talking about lamps with flat panels, because
I can use Dragonfly's Glass Eye for that. I'm talking about the more
spherical (half ball) shaped lamps.

I'd like to design a lamp in 3D and them map the design to a 2D
printout that I can use to cut the glass pieces in their actual size
size. I'm guessing some CAD software can help me with this task, but I
don't know where to look and what to look for. Any suggestions?

\Bart

Michael[_2_] October 25th 07 12:19 PM

Bart wrote:

Anyone here that uses computer software for designing tiffany lamps in
3D perspective?

******************
No software that I know of. You could improvise with a standard CAD
package like Solid Edge, but the overhead might make doing it by hand
a more viable option. Doing it in CAD, I would take measurements on a
standardly available Worden or Odyssey form and duplicate it in
software, and then draw your design on it. Then section it off to
reduce deformation caused by converting a curved surface to flat, and
then do tangential and scaled screen shots (bitmaps) of your model.
Print them out and transfer them to the form. If you used a Worden
mold, it will already be sectioned and you can follow that. As far as
using an Odyssey form, I have heard of temporarily gluing
architectural linen to it, but I am clueless as to the details.

Good luck, Michael

Lauri Levanto October 25th 07 06:15 PM

Michael wrote:
Bart wrote:

[...]

I do not work with cols glass, so I have no experience for tiffany work.
Fos some other strange designs I have abused boat design software
called Freeship. The you gan define edges rounded or sharp
and if surfaces are defined developable, it keps them more or less flat.
-lauri