CraftBanter

-   -   Lengthening a square quilt (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=111185)

Trixie[_2_] October 15th 10 02:15 AM

Lengthening a square quilt

I just finished the medallion center of a square quilt, and now need to
figure out how to lengthen it so it is bed-quilt sized. I think what I want
to do is put a row of blocks along the "top" and "bottom" so it is
rectangular. I have a bunch of striped fabric that matches the fabric used
in the medallion. Can anyone suggest a block, somewhere around 8 or 9-inch,
that uses striped fabrics? Pinwheel? Kaleidoscope? I am so visual and a
pattern kind of gal, so if you have a link to an example block that will be
hugely appreciated.

Trixie

Trixie[_2_] October 15th 10 02:49 AM

Lengthening a square quilt

It is the one shown on the front of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Star-Qui.../dp/1571205101

It is done with fussy cut florentine fabric, not the two tone, so is pretty
ornate. The fabric is an old Robert Kaufman design, and I have three yards
of the matching striped fabric so there is plenty.

Trixie

Mary October 15th 10 04:45 AM

Lengthening a square quilt

What size bed? I always make square quilts for queen and king beds,
and have enough length for a nice pillow tuck.

Roberta[_3_] October 15th 10 02:26 PM

Lengthening a square quilt

What about 2 rows of 8-point stars, like the very center of the
medallion? But I'm thinking they should be almost-but-not-quite tone
on tone, so as not to out-shine the center. Just sort of echo the
center. then use the stripes for borders between the center and the 2
rows. Or turn the stripes into chevrons, that might be cool.
Roberta in D

Polly Esther[_5_] October 15th 10 10:52 PM

Lengthening a square quilt

I've given your question some thought, Trixie. Easy enough. This was
vacuum and mop day and plenty of time for thinking. I wonder if you can get
your hands on The Border Workbook by Janet Kime? ( A used copy is available
over at Abe Books for about $5.) If you don't have a border book, you really
would enjoy one, methinks. The right border can take your quilt from pretty
good to awesome. Polly

Trixie[_2_] October 16th 10 03:18 AM

Lengthening a square quilt

Good point about not out-shining the center. Something tone on tone might be
just the ticket, though the chevron shape also appeals to me. Thankfully, I
have lots of time so I'm going to check out Polly's suggestion for the
border book through the library. That way I can preview if the book is
something I must have for my (ever-expanding) collection!

Thanks everyone!

Trixie

Polly Esther[_5_] October 16th 10 03:35 AM

Lengthening a square quilt

Wonderful. There's a quilt in the border book that uses stripes in a
chevron shape that might be just perfect . . . or you may go ga-ga over
something else. That's the book I used for my quilt with 42 one-eared mice.
As yet, I don't think anybody's every noticed that quilt; they just love the
border. Polly

"Trixie" Good point about not out-shining the center. Something tone on