CraftBanter

-   Glass (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   chipping while grinding (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=11447)

Masqqqqqqq August 26th 03 03:01 AM

chipping while grinding

I have an Inland twin spin disk grinder. When I grind the edges of the
glass, it leaves the glass with small chips along the edges. How can I prevent
the chipping and get a perfect edge?

Moonraker August 26th 03 05:07 AM

"Masqqqqqqq" wrote in message
I have an Inland twin spin disk grinder. When I grind the edges of the
glass, it leaves the glass with small chips along the edges. How can I

prevent
the chipping and get a perfect edge?

New bit? New, coarse bits will do that. Also, lighten the pressure against
the diamond bit. Don't force the cut, and make sure your tool and the glass
are well cooled. Also, some glass just "will" chip, no matter what.

Randy August 27th 03 02:37 AM

Use a finer porosity wheel. Coarse wheels are for taking out a lot of
material quickly. Finer wheels are for your finish edges.

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech.
Scam Diego, Comi-fronia