CraftBanter

-   -   OT word of the day (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=98459)

NightMist October 15th 08 12:36 AM

OT word of the day

Dunno how long I'll keep it up, or if I will last even a week, but I
thought it might be fun to toss out a word a day and try to keep it to
textile terms.
They may not be new words for everybody, but hey it doesn't cost
anything. (G)

Today because I used the term once and puzzled people here, and
because it was near the front of the dictionary:

CALENDER. To smooth woollen cloths, and give them a gloss.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

KJ October 15th 08 12:49 AM

OT word of the day

Interesting.....I wonder how that would be done?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Jack Campin - bogus address October 15th 08 01:11 AM

OT word of the day

CALENDER. To smooth woollen cloths, and give them a gloss.
Interesting.....I wonder how that would be done?

It's also the old Scots word for a wringer/mangle, which suggests
how...

Needn't be cloth. Paper is calendered too.

Now let's hear it for...

MUNGO!!!

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Taria October 15th 08 01:30 AM

OT word of the day

MOst of us oldsters around here know Mungo is
wendy/frood's pooch.
Taria

Sunny[_2_] October 15th 08 02:54 AM

OT word of the day

I love it! Keep on kicking out those great textile words..... or any
great words. I'm huge on entertainment, play and fun right now. And
I'm trying to figure out what a machine would look like that would
calender wool. Is that how the word is used? as a verb??? I love it.

Sunny

NightMist October 15th 08 06:25 PM

OT word of the day

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:54:55 -0700 (PDT), Sunny
wrote:

I love it! Keep on kicking out those great textile words..... or any
great words. I'm huge on entertainment, play and fun right now. And
I'm trying to figure out what a machine would look like that would
calender wool. Is that how the word is used? as a verb??? I love it.

Verb or adverb I believe, to calender, or calendered.

With wool at least upon a time the machine that did it was indeed very
similar to a mangle (wringer here in the US). Big metal rollers that
were heated, and the cloth was rolled through. Sort of very intensive
pressing.

NightMist

--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

NightMist October 16th 08 01:05 AM

OT word of the day

Tenter:
As a noun it is a framework for stretching fabric. Refers to what you
would use for yardage more often than to anything akin to an
embroidery hoop.

As a verb it is the action of stretching the fabric on the tenter.

To Retenter, is to take a fabric and stretch it to pull the grain
straight.
Like when you buy a few yards of a stripey fabric only to find that
the bit inside the bolt was all wonky, so you wash it and pin it damp
to the curtain rod with a weighted broomstick whipped to the bottom in
hopes of pulling it straight. Sadly, these days when most fabrics are
printed instead of dyed it doesn't work as well as it did back when.

Yes, it is where the reference "tenterhooks" comes from.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Kellie J Berger October 16th 08 06:40 PM

OT word of the day

i think the machine would look like my QI Hanah... who smooths just about
everything (especially cloth and wood and plastic) with a great big wide
tongue kiss. Leaving them all smooth with glossy slobbery shine. well at
least the ones she doesn't chew up are smooth...

http://kjbeanne.files.wordpress.com/...eek-3-025s.jpg Hanah
going incognito...
--
Kellie J. Berger
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dreamweaver October 17th 08 01:06 AM

OT word of the day

Kellie!!!! That photo needed a PIMP warning!!!!! Now get over here and do
my laundry!!!! BG

What a living doll that one is!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh,
Dreamweaver, with a lap full of sleeping Yorkie and a laptop!

NightMist October 17th 08 06:33 AM

OT word of the day

Ringspun or Ring Spun

A spinning process that takes the fiber through the roving, twisting,
and winding stages, in a single unbroken procedure.
It produces a finer thread than most other spinning processes.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.