PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Jalynne
July 3rd 03, 11:47 PM
I go to my local quilt shop regularly for sewing group get togethers, and the last
time I went, I took my beads, because I didn't feel like hauling my sewing machine
over there. The owner was there, she's a friend of a good friend of mine who
organizes the sewing group. She saw what i was doing, saw my bracelet, and some
patterns I had out of amulets that I plan to make (just big enough to hold a thimble
and needle case) and she asked if I'd consider letting her consign some of my stuff
in her shop. I'd like to do this, actually, because it could feed my habits of
quilting, beading and scrapbooking and not put a strain on the household budget. She
was saying that she didn't want to make money off me, but wanted a fair "rent" for
her space and time. She offered that she would ask 15% for herself. Is this a good
deal? Should I consider it? What kinds of things should I include in a written
agreement (because there *will* be one, to satisfy the paralegal in me...LOL), and
what kinds of pitfalls should I look out for? The one thing I am going to stand firm
on is that I will make the designs I want to make, and if they don't sell, that's ok
with me, I'm not out to make "commercial" products. I consider this art, which is
very personal, as I'm sure most of you feel, too. THanks so much for any input you
may have!
--
Jalynne
or look at my layouts at

Dr. Sooz
July 4th 03, 01:35 AM
You mean on top of the 50% she would ask for the items?

>She offered that she would ask 15% for herself.

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Dr. Sooz
July 4th 03, 01:42 AM
Also include this, Jalynne:

"e. Accept full responsibility for loss or breakage of inventory from date of
inventory receipt and invoice signature (2 d above) until such time as the
inventory is paid for in full, or returned to the consignor. The consignor
shall fully cooperate in any reports of loss or damage filed by the Consignee
with the US Postal Service, local police departments, or insurance companies in
efforts of recovery."
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Jalynne
July 4th 03, 03:04 AM
She said that I can price my own items, and that all she will get is 15% of the sale
price. Essentially, I've decided that I will figure out what it is that I want to
get paid for the items, and add 15%.

--
"Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> You mean on top of the 50% she would ask for the items?
>
> >She offered that she would ask 15% for herself.
>

> ~~
> Sooz
> -------
> ESBC
> Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
> exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Kandice Seeber
July 4th 03, 03:39 AM
Wow - that's a great deal! Go for it Jalynne. I second everything said by
everyone - make sure to get it in writing. What a wonderful opportunity - I
hope it works out for you!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
"Jalynne" > wrote in message
thlink.net...
> She said that I can price my own items, and that all she will get is 15%
of the sale
> price. Essentially, I've decided that I will figure out what it is that
I want to
> get paid for the items, and add 15%.
>
> --
> Jalynne
> Queen Gypsy (snail mail available upon request)
> see what i've been up to at www.100megsfree4.com/jalynne
> or look at my layouts at

http://www.azurewave.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=212&cat=500&thumb=1
> "Dr. Sooz" > wrote in message
> > You mean on top of the 50% she would ask for the items?
> >
> > >She offered that she would ask 15% for herself.
> >

> > ~~
> > Sooz
> > -------
> > ESBC
> > Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
> > http://airandearth.netfirms.com/soozlinkslist.html
> > One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making
> > exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Beadseeker
July 4th 03, 05:51 AM
I think 15% is good. When I had some designs in a consignment gift shop, the
owner either wanted a monthly fee of $25.00 plus 20% of sales, or 40% of sales.
Patti

Dr. Sooz
July 4th 03, 06:20 AM
Good grief, that is a *great* deal for you!

>She said that I can price my own items, and that all she will get is 15% of
>the sale
>price. Essentially, I've decided that I will figure out what it is that I
>want to
>get paid for the items, and add 15%.

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

BeckiBead
July 4th 03, 03:56 PM
Jalynee -- if I could get 15% I would send everything I own to the shop. I pay
50%.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right.." -- Counting Crows

Jalynne
July 4th 03, 08:33 PM
Yep I had em a looooong time ago, and so did DH....whew...LOL

--

"mkahogan" > wrote in message
> 15% is fantastic. 50% is very typical and so is 40%.
>
> Good luck with the chicken pox......bummer! Have you had them? I had not
> and got them from my daughter several years ago. I was really sick.
> KathyH
> "Jalynne" > wrote in message
> rthlink.net...
> > Wow, that just seems so high to me. Either that or I'm very fortunate to
> have
> > someone in the community who knows that local crafters/artists need the
> same kind of
> > break she was given when she took over the quilt shop this past year. I
> called her
> > earlier today, to get the paperwork started, and she said that there's
> only a handful
> > of people she would do this for, and even though she only really knows me
> through one
> > of her good friends, that's good enough for her. You could have knocked
> me over with
> > a feather. I have a feeling that I'd probably work in her shop if I
> wasn't home
> > schooling...LOL.
> >
> > Thanks so much for all the advice! I'm printing out all your posts to
> refer to when
> > we're drawing up contracts. You all are the best! I'll keep you updated
> on the
> > progress. I'm sure I won't have much stock until the end of summer,
> because i can't
> > really start making things in earnest until after July 17th at this point
> (last day
> > of summer school). Also, i've got a sick kid with chicken
> pox...sigh...life is
> > insane.
> >
> > --
> > Jalynne
> > Queen Gypsy (snail mail available upon request)
> > see what i've been up to at www.100megsfree4.com/jalynne
> > or look at my layouts at
> >
> http://www.azurewave.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=212&cat=500&thumb=
> 1
> > "Beadseeker" > wrote in message
> > > I think 15% is good. When I had some designs in a consignment gift
> shop, the
> > > owner either wanted a monthly fee of $25.00 plus 20% of sales, or 40% of
> sales.
> > > Patti

Kalera Stratton
July 4th 03, 10:30 PM
In article nk.net>,
"Jalynne" > wrote:

> I go to my local quilt shop regularly for sewing group get togethers, and the
> last
> time I went, I took my beads, because I didn't feel like hauling my sewing
> machine
> over there. The owner was there, she's a friend of a good friend of mine who
> organizes the sewing group. She saw what i was doing, saw my bracelet, and
> some
> patterns I had out of amulets that I plan to make (just big enough to hold a
> thimble
> and needle case) and she asked if I'd consider letting her consign some of my
> stuff
> in her shop. I'd like to do this, actually, because it could feed my habits
> of
> quilting, beading and scrapbooking and not put a strain on the household
> budget. She
> was saying that she didn't want to make money off me, but wanted a fair
> "rent" for
> her space and time. She offered that she would ask 15% for herself. Is this
> a good
> deal? Should I consider it? What kinds of things should I include in a
> written
> agreement (because there *will* be one, to satisfy the paralegal in
> me...LOL), and
> what kinds of pitfalls should I look out for? The one thing I am going to
> stand firm
> on is that I will make the designs I want to make, and if they don't sell,
> that's ok
> with me, I'm not out to make "commercial" products. I consider this art,
> which is
> very personal, as I'm sure most of you feel, too. THanks so much for any
> input you
> may have!
> --
> Jalynne

DUDE! It's a phenomenal deal... I used to do consignment, and was happy
if I found a shop that only wanted 40%! Make sure the contract includes
things like what happens if your work is stolen (most shops split the
loss with the artist) and whether they get a cut on any commissions you
earn through the shop. If yes, you'll probably want them to write up the
commission and pass a copy to you for a quote, not just give the
customer your number. That way, both you and they will have a written
record of the commission going through them, and they can't claim
customer commissions that aren't theirs.

Good for you, and good luck!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org

Steve & Susan Wright
July 5th 03, 02:47 PM
Have an inventory list that you each sign and keep that up to date. Don't
just drop stuff off without a duplicate list.

Susan W

"Kalera Stratton" > wrote in message
> [...]
> > may have!
> > --
> > Jalynne
>

> DUDE! It's a phenomenal deal... I used to do consignment, and was happy
> if I found a shop that only wanted 40%! Make sure the contract includes
> things like what happens if your work is stolen (most shops split the
> loss with the artist) and whether they get a cut on any commissions you
> earn through the shop. If yes, you'll probably want them to write up the
> commission and pass a copy to you for a quote, not just give the
> customer your number. That way, both you and they will have a written
> record of the commission going through them, and they can't claim
> customer commissions that aren't theirs.
>
> Good for you, and good luck!
>
> --
> -Kalera
> Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03

Deirdre S.
July 5th 03, 11:20 PM
Most consignment places charge a good bit more than 15 percent. It is
a generous offer, and in your spot, I would test it out and see how
well you click with this shop's clientele.

The advice to make your agreement very explicit, and documented is
good, and I would follow that as well.

Deirdre

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 02:39:13 GMT, "Kandice Seeber"
> wrote:

>Wow - that's a great deal! Go for it Jalynne. I second everything said by
>everyone - make sure to get it in writing. What a wonderful opportunity - I
>hope it works out for you!

Google