PDA

View Full Version : Re: X-mas Gifts - Who has started or finished any?

Noreen's Knit*che
July 28th 03, 01:26 AM
In article >, says...
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Hi xray mamma!
I've been seeing all the Christmas in July signs and shows too, but
haven't started any Holiday gifts YET. I usually start in August, so
will post a list of projects then.
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)

Karen
July 28th 03, 01:48 AM
"xray_momma" > wrote in message
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Well, my LYS had a good sale this weekend, and despite being recently laid
off and severely curtailing spending, I did score four balls, 165 yards
each, of Pengouin Sweet Hair mohair blend yarn, in a rich burgundy color,
for $10 total -- some friends will be getting lacy shawls from it for
Christmas.

Claire Sims
July 28th 03, 02:06 AM
I've finished one pair of socks for a friend and am making the second. I
also have a crocheted fashion doll size sari started for another friend. The
other present is a cross stitch one for my aunt.

Of course, this doesn't include the cross stitch picture I started for my
mother and gave her unfinished last year. I think I'd better finish it
before this Christmas.

Claire in very hot Sacramento (back into the cool dark freezer)

"xray_momma" > wrote in message
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Katherine Burgess
July 28th 03, 02:18 AM
"Karen" wrote ...

> "xray_momma" > wrote ...
> > While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
> it
> > is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
> one
> > soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
> have
> > a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted
sweater.

> > What is everyone else planning to do?
>
> Well, my LYS had a good sale this weekend, and despite being recently laid
> off and severely curtailing spending, I did score four balls, 165 yards
> each, of Pengouin Sweet Hair mohair blend yarn, in a rich burgundy color,
> for $10 total -- some friends will be getting lacy shawls from it for
> Christmas.

Karen,
Can I be your friend? <g>
Katherine

spampot
July 28th 03, 03:00 AM
xray_momma wrote:
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Well, since my mother admired the FiberTrends Moebius lace scarf I
started (you may remember I posted here that she called it a
"fascinator"), I believe she will be getting that for her birthday
(in November) or for Xmas!

SlinkyToy
July 28th 03, 03:32 AM
I have in the stash several pairs of socks that may turn into Xmas gifts. I
also have a fair amount of yarn in the stash that may turn into Xmas gifts
of some sort (namely that hairy mohair I picked up on my LYS excursion a few
weeks back - it begs to be a stole but I'd never wear it). Last year's
boxes of soaps with felted wool washcloths went over well and didn't require
the hours of work that socks would have, so that's tempting, but I try to do
something new every year.

I've got another trick up my sleeve, if I can find all the pieces I need --
yes, it is fiber-related, but it isn't knit or crocheted or woven...

"xray_momma" > wrote in message
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Molvik Family
July 28th 03, 04:24 AM
Make SURE you have enough of the stuff before you start. That yarn IS NO
LONGER MADE!!!!!!!

JJMolvik

Noreen's Knit*che
July 28th 03, 04:52 AM
In article >,
says...
> Make SURE you have enough of the stuff before you start. That yarn IS NO
> LONGER MADE!!!!!!!
>
> JJMolvik

'Which' stuff, JJ?
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

Molvik Family
July 28th 03, 04:59 AM
Pengouin

As I understand, they went out of business several years ago. I had some
and needed more and couldn't get any.

JJMolvik

JudyTurpin
July 28th 03, 04:59 AM
<< While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know it
is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start one
soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and have
a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.

What is everyone else planning to do?
>><BR><BR>
Well -- I should finish the Christmas tree skirt I started last year (It was
under the tree unfinished) It is one of those felt kits with sequins to sew on
etc. with a street scene. My old one was way too awful to use another year. I
got a kit with ornaments to make from felt at the same time and may also do
those for the GDs. They have a tree in the play room and these aren't
breakable.
Then -- for the fun part - I plan to knit and sew a wardrobe for a doll I have
for my youngest grand
daughter. She will be two and should be able to manage very simple clothes. I
am also planning to knit her a Dale baby ull sweater with a zebra in duplicate
stitch on the front from one of their recent pattern books.
On my trip to North Carolina I bought some yarn - I plan to knit colorful socks
for the GD who will be 13 by then out of bright Koigu. I have some luscious
green llama/wool mixed yarn that someone will get in a scarf and I hope to
finish my teal shawl for my daughter.
JCT

Els van Dam
July 28th 03, 05:53 AM
In article >, "xray_momma"
> wrote:

> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Good heavens no....Summer is summer for me, the though of Christmas does
not work at all....(smile)

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Karen
July 28th 03, 01:29 PM
"Molvik Family" > wrote in message
. net...
> Make SURE you have enough of the stuff before you start. That yarn IS NO
> LONGER MADE!!!!!!!
>
> JJMolvik

Thanks for the info! I suspected that, since it was so deeply discounted,
but wasn't sure. It should be enough for a couple of shawls -- but it would
have made a beautiful sweater had there been more!

Claire
July 28th 03, 02:50 PM
I've a jumper for my son (Harry Potter style) to do before Christmas and
also a cardigan for my niece which is actually for her birthday in Spring
but she lives abroad so I'm sending it over with a relative when they go to
visit for the holidays- along with another one for my new baby nephew which
is *nearly* finished but has a fiddly neck and the sewing up yet to do. I've
also got two new baby woolies to finish before the end of November. In fact,
they ALL have to be finished before the end of November...

And it's the end of July already.

Claire
panic has set in

"xray_momma" > wrote in message
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Medium Gnome
July 28th 03, 07:52 PM
I have started a set of placemats for my mother. They're made crocheted in
decor matching acrylic so she can wash and toss onto the table. She had a
set before but became too worn.

Yvette,
new to the group and just getting bitten by the bug again- I'll post an
intro

"xray_momma" > wrote in message
> While passing a store this week, I saw a Christmas in July sign. I know
it
> is a way off but has anyone finished any gifts? Or is planning to start
one
> soon? As for me, I am busy finishing my sons afghan for Christmas and
have
> a few ornaments to do for package toppers. My DD wants a knitted sweater.
>
> What is everyone else planning to do?

Medium Gnome
July 29th 03, 12:56 AM
Thanks Nora. I was browsing around the yarn section of Rag Shoppe one day
and saw a book about crocheted placemat. It may have included knitted ones
but I don't remember. I was too cheap to lay out the $8 for the book when I
had a crochet book at home that had just about every stitch and pattern in
it already. I chose an all over pattern and will add a trim in two other
colors. Super easy. I chose the acrylic yarn for it's easy care. There
are patterns available on the internet for using a simple search.

Yvette

"NoraBalcer" > wrote in message
> Yvette,
>
> Welcome and is the pattern for the placemats on the web as it sounds like
> something I would love to try.
>
> Nora

Melinda
July 29th 03, 02:31 AM
>On my trip to North Carolina I bought some yarn

Where in NC did you go? I'm in Charlotte :)

Melinda
Solstice Moon Designs

JudyTurpin
July 29th 03, 03:22 AM
<< >On my trip to North Carolina I bought some yarn

Where in NC did you go? I'm in Charlotte :)

Melinda
Solstice Moon Designs
>><BR><BR>
I stayed in Asheville for a week and then we drove on the Blue Ridge Parkway
stopping overnight in Boone and then two days and three nights in Chapel Hill.
The yarn shopping occurred at the beginning of the trip. I hadn't realize how
pretty North Carolina was - had never spent much time there before.

JCT

Melinda
July 29th 03, 03:53 PM
> I stayed in Asheville for a week and then we drove on the Blue Ridge
>Parkwaystopping overnight in Boone and then two days and three nights in
>Chapel Hill. The yarn shopping occurred at the beginning of the trip. I
>hadn't realize howpretty North Carolina was - had never spent much time there
>before. JCT

Oh, I love it up there. And Asheville's yarn store is a nice one. :) Julie
Mar's studio is there as well, for those who do needlepoint.

Melinda
Solstice Moon Designs

Karen
July 30th 03, 12:29 AM
"Sandy Best" > wrote in message
> My family (mom, dad, brother, sister, and I) are going to go snow skiing
> this winter in early January as a family Christmas present. We've never
> been snow skiing before! (except my dad) So, I am going to make us all
some
> socks, a scarf, and hat for us to wear and keep us warm!! Anybody have any
> suggestions for anything else that would help keep us warm??? I thought
> about gloves, but they will only get wet! I would like a full body suit
for
> myself!! haha! I don't do good in the cold...

How about head bands -- the ones that go over the ears? They're handy when
skiing for when you don't want to wear a full hat.

Shillelagh
July 30th 03, 06:25 AM
"Sandy Best" > wrote in message
> My family (mom, dad, brother, sister, and I) are going to go snow skiing
> this winter in early January as a family Christmas present. We've never
> been snow skiing before! (except my dad) So, I am going to make us all
some
> socks, a scarf, and hat for us to wear and keep us warm!! Anybody have any
> suggestions for anything else that would help keep us warm??? I thought
> about gloves, but they will only get wet! I would like a full body suit
for
> myself!! haha! I don't do good in the cold...

Hi Sandy
I went to junior high school with a girl named Sandra Best! (That was a LONG
time ago)

Where are you planning on skiing? Christmas can be quite chilly when
skiing, but one item you can try that isn't horribly expensive are the hand
warmers that you put inside your ski gloves or mitts. You can also tuck one
up in your hat too. But - do you think I can remember the name of them???
Not right now - but when I finally remember, I'll post it for you.

Buy the nylon covered or down filled gloves/mitts - they will keep you much
warmer than knitted ones. And wear long underwear and a turtleneck t-shirt
or undershirt.

I have skied for years and have one suggestion for you - do NOT wear a scarf
when skiing. It's terribly unsafe. It could get caught in the lift
equipment and strangle you! That very thing happened to my daughter (at 6
years old) - except I was able to get her free from the T-bar, but that
taught me a huge lesson - don't have anything like a scarf outside the ski
clothes.

A great warmer-upper is hot chocolate with peppermint schnappes. Just one,
mind you - we don't want to send you back on the ski hill hammered!!

Have a happy and SAFE ski vacation !!

Shelagh

Janise Ross
July 30th 03, 01:49 PM
Hi, Sandy, and welcome to the group.

I am very happy that Shelagh told you not to wear a scarf while skiing.
But, that would be fine for apres-ski.

Something that you might be able to use would be a neckwarmer. Now, I
don't know if there are any patterns out there, but it probably wouldn't be
to hard to figure out how to make one. (Personally, we use store-bought
polar fleece neckwarmers.)

And hats would be another good option to make.

Let us know how you progress.

Janise

Karen
July 30th 03, 01:57 PM
"Shillelagh" > wrote in message

> "Sandy Best" > wrote in message
> > My family (mom, dad, brother, sister, and I) are going to go snow skiing
> > this winter in early January as a family Christmas present. We've never
> > been snow skiing before! (except my dad) So, I am going to make us all
> some
> > socks, a scarf, and hat for us to wear and keep us warm!! Anybody have
any
> > suggestions for anything else that would help keep us warm??? I thought
> > about gloves, but they will only get wet! I would like a full body suit
> for
> > myself!! haha! I don't do good in the cold...
>
> Hi Sandy
> I went to junior high school with a girl named Sandra Best! (That was a
LONG
> time ago)
>
> Where are you planning on skiing? Christmas can be quite chilly when
> skiing, but one item you can try that isn't horribly expensive are the
hand
> warmers that you put inside your ski gloves or mitts. You can also tuck
one
> up in your hat too. But - do you think I can remember the name of them???
> Not right now - but when I finally remember, I'll post it for you.
>
> Buy the nylon covered or down filled gloves/mitts - they will keep you
much
> warmer than knitted ones. And wear long underwear and a turtleneck
t-shirt
> or undershirt.
>
> I have skied for years and have one suggestion for you - do NOT wear a
scarf
> when skiing. It's terribly unsafe. It could get caught in the lift
> equipment and strangle you! That very thing happened to my daughter (at 6
> years old) - except I was able to get her free from the T-bar, but that
> taught me a huge lesson - don't have anything like a scarf outside the ski
> clothes.

Which brings to mind another thing she could make -- neckwarmers!

Katherine Burgess
July 30th 03, 02:36 PM
"Janise Ross" wrote
> Hi, Sandy, and welcome to the group.
>
> I am very happy that Shelagh told you not to wear a scarf while
skiing.
> But, that would be fine for apres-ski.
>
> Something that you might be able to use would be a neckwarmer. Now, I
> don't know if there are any patterns out there, but it probably wouldn't
be
> to hard to figure out how to make one. (Personally, we use store-bought
> polar fleece neckwarmers.)
>
> And hats would be another good option to make.
>
> Let us know how you progress.

OH, yes, Janise! There are many patterns for knitted neckwarmers. Many
people call them "dickeys", and the kids here wear them most of the winter -
especially the skiers. The simplest one would just knitting a tube - like a
turtle neck without the sweater. <g>
Katherine

Sew-Sew Lady
July 30th 03, 02:52 PM
I mentioned this "Sweater Workbook" in another thread; it is by Jacqueline
Fee, and she mentions "turtles to go"... just a ribbed tube, can be for the
neck, can even go up over the ears if you make it loose and tall enough.

Here's another "lesson" for skiers...

Even if you aren't a skier, you'll be able to appreciate the humor of the
slopes as written in this account by a New Orleans' paper.
A friend just got back from a holiday ski trip to Utah with the kind of
story that warms the cockles of anybody's heart. Conditions were perfect.
12 below, no feeling in the toes, basic numbness all over, "tell me when
we're having fun" kind of day. One of the women in the group complained to
her husband that she was in dire need of a restroom. He told her not to
worry, that he was sure there was relief waiting at the top of the lift in
the form of a powder room for female skiers in distress. He was wrong, of
course, and the pain did not go away. If you've ever had nature hit its
panic button in you, then you know that a temperature of 12 below zero
doesn't help matters. So, with time running out, the woman weighed her
options. Her husband, picking up on the intensity of the pain, suggested
that since she was wearing an all-white ski outfit, she should go off in the
woods. No one would even notice, he assured her. The white will provide more
than adequate camouflage. So she headed for the tree line, began disrobing
and proceeded to do her thing. If you've ever parked on the side of a slope,
then you know there is a right way and wrong way to set up your skis so you
don't move. Yup, you got it. She had them positioned the wrong way. Steep
slopes are not forgiving, even during embarrassing moments. Without warning,
the woman found herself skiing backward, out-of-control, racing through the
trees, somehow missing all of them, and into another slope. Her derriere and
the reverse side were still bare, her pants down around her knees, and she
was picking up speed all the while. She continued on backwards, totally
out-of-control, creating an unusual vista for the other skiers. The woman
skied, if you
define that verb loosely, back under the lift and finally collided violently
with a pylon. The bad news was that she broke her arm and was unable to pull
up her ski pants. At long last her husband arrived, put an end to her nudie
show, then went to the base of the mountain and summoned the ski patrol,
who transported her to a hospital.
In the emergency room she was regrouping when a man with an obviously
broken leg was put in the bed next to hers.
"So. How'd you break your leg?" she asked, making small talk.
"It was the darndest thing you ever saw," he said. "I was riding up this
ski lift, and suddenly I couldn't believe my eyes. There was this crazy
woman skiing backward out-of-control down the mountain with her bare bottom
hanging out of her clothes and pants down around her knees. I leaned over
to get a better look and I guess I didn't realize how far I'd moved. I fell
out of the lift. So, how'd you break your arm?"

"Shillelagh" > wrote in message

> "Sandy Best" > wrote in message
> > My family (mom, dad, brother, sister, and I) are going to go snow skiing
> > this winter in early January as a family Christmas present. We've never
> > been snow skiing before! (except my dad) So, I am going to make us all
> some
> > socks, a scarf, and hat for us to wear and keep us warm!! Anybody have
any
> > suggestions for anything else that would help keep us warm??? I thought
> > about gloves, but they will only get wet! I would like a full body suit
> for
> > myself!! haha! I don't do good in the cold...
>
> Hi Sandy
> I went to junior high school with a girl named Sandra Best! (That was a
LONG
> time ago)
>
> Where are you planning on skiing? Christmas can be quite chilly when
> skiing, but one item you can try that isn't horribly expensive are the
hand
> warmers that you put inside your ski gloves or mitts. You can also tuck
one
> up in your hat too. But - do you think I can remember the name of them???
> Not right now - but when I finally remember, I'll post it for you.
>
> Buy the nylon covered or down filled gloves/mitts - they will keep you
much
> warmer than knitted ones. And wear long underwear and a turtleneck
t-shirt
> or undershirt.
>
> I have skied for years and have one suggestion for you - do NOT wear a
scarf
> when skiing. It's terribly unsafe. It could get caught in the lift
> equipment and strangle you! That very thing happened to my daughter (at 6
> years old) - except I was able to get her free from the T-bar, but that
> taught me a huge lesson - don't have anything like a scarf outside the ski
> clothes.
>
> A great warmer-upper is hot chocolate with peppermint schnappes. Just
one,
> mind you - we don't want to send you back on the ski hill hammered!!
>
> Have a happy and SAFE ski vacation !!
>
> Shelagh

Katherine Burgess
July 30th 03, 03:01 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!
This is why I don't do the downhill thing! And why I visit the ladies' room
BEFORE hitting the trails.
Katherine

Norma
July 30th 03, 03:38 PM
"Sew-Sew Lady" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
nudie
> show, then went to the base of the mountain and summoned the ski patrol,
> who transported her to a hospital.
> In the emergency room she was regrouping when a man with an obviously
> broken leg was put in the bed next to hers.
> "So. How'd you break your leg?" she asked, making small talk.
> "It was the darndest thing you ever saw," he said. "I was riding up
this
> ski lift, and suddenly I couldn't believe my eyes. There was this crazy
> woman skiing backward out-of-control down the mountain with her bare
bottom
> hanging out of her clothes and pants down around her knees. I leaned over
> to get a better look and I guess I didn't realize how far I'd moved. I
fell
> out of the lift. So, how'd you break your arm?"

Star love,
Norma ;-)

NoraBalcer
July 30th 03, 04:05 PM
SewSewLady,

I'm laughing so hard my DH wanted to know what was so funny so I've printed the
story off for him to read.

Hugs,

Nora

Marie C
July 30th 03, 08:05 PM
Hee hee....good one!
Marie C.

"Norma" > wrote in message >...
> [...]
> nudie
> > show, then went to the base of the mountain and summoned the ski patrol,
> > who transported her to a hospital.
> > In the emergency room she was regrouping when a man with an obviously
> > broken leg was put in the bed next to hers.
> > "So. How'd you break your leg?" she asked, making small talk.
> > "It was the darndest thing you ever saw," he said. "I was riding up
> this
> > ski lift, and suddenly I couldn't believe my eyes. There was this crazy
> > woman skiing backward out-of-control down the mountain with her bare
> bottom
> > hanging out of her clothes and pants down around her knees. I leaned over
> > to get a better look and I guess I didn't realize how far I'd moved. I
> fell
> > out of the lift. So, how'd you break your arm?"

AGRES
July 30th 03, 08:13 PM
Ski trips need socks! Everyone needs at least two pair of boot socks (one
pair to wear and one pair on the drying rack) and a pair of very soft!, warm
après-ski socks. Boot socks made of Icelandic Lopi are still the best (if,
and only if, such socks can be worn during the original boot fitting.)

Also, a very long (3ft.), bright red hat makes a nice prize to go to the
best skier (or most improved skier) in the family at the end of each day,
and is the traditional token in the skier's game of Fox and Hounds, i.e.,
the hat gets passed to the current "Fox."

Aaron

"Shillelagh" > wrote in message

> "Sandy Best" > wrote in message
> > My family (mom, dad, brother, sister, and I) are going to go snow skiing
> > this winter in early January as a family Christmas present. We've never
> > been snow skiing before! (except my dad) So, I am going to make us all
> some
> > socks, a scarf, and hat for us to wear and keep us warm!! Anybody have
any
> > suggestions for anything else that would help keep us warm??? I thought
> > about gloves, but they will only get wet! I would like a full body suit
> for
> > myself!! haha! I don't do good in the cold...
>
> Hi Sandy
> I went to junior high school with a girl named Sandra Best! (That was a
LONG
> time ago)
>
> Where are you planning on skiing? Christmas can be quite chilly when
> skiing, but one item you can try that isn't horribly expensive are the
hand
> warmers that you put inside your ski gloves or mitts. You can also tuck
one
> up in your hat too. But - do you think I can remember the name of them???
> Not right now - but when I finally remember, I'll post it for you.
>
> Buy the nylon covered or down filled gloves/mitts - they will keep you
much
> warmer than knitted ones. And wear long underwear and a turtleneck
t-shirt
> or undershirt.
>
> I have skied for years and have one suggestion for you - do NOT wear a
scarf
> when skiing. It's terribly unsafe. It could get caught in the lift
> equipment and strangle you! That very thing happened to my daughter (at 6
> years old) - except I was able to get her free from the T-bar, but that
> taught me a huge lesson - don't have anything like a scarf outside the ski
> clothes.
>
> A great warmer-upper is hot chocolate with peppermint schnappes. Just
one,
> mind you - we don't want to send you back on the ski hill hammered!!
>
> Have a happy and SAFE ski vacation !!
>
> Shelagh

Janise Ross
July 30th 03, 11:45 PM
This is just too funny!

Janise
">
> [...]
nudie
> show, then went to the base of the mountain and summoned the ski patrol,
> who transported her to a hospital.
> In the emergency room she was regrouping when a man with an obviously
> broken leg was put in the bed next to hers.
> "So. How'd you break your leg?" she asked, making small talk.
> "It was the darndest thing you ever saw," he said. "I was riding up
this
> ski lift, and suddenly I couldn't believe my eyes. There was this crazy
> woman skiing backward out-of-control down the mountain with her bare
bottom
> hanging out of her clothes and pants down around her knees. I leaned over
> to get a better look and I guess I didn't realize how far I'd moved. I
fell
> out of the lift. So, how'd you break your arm?"

Coggie
August 1st 03, 07:05 PM
I have a few works that need to be started for christmas . I want to
do up hubby an AirForce afghan I found , it is a graph pattern that
will be done in sc. It has an F-15 on it which is the plane that he
worked on and flew. I want to add his call sign to the side and his
plane number to the tail.
Also , I need to make up about 6 pairs of sox , 4 knitted and 2
crocheted. I have one tableclothe half way completed and still need to
make the second one up , one oval and one round. Both in pineapple so
they do go fast.
I also have 4 comfortaghans to do up long before Christmas ,and they
will be mailed off . I am feeling a little better today , but am not
going to chance doing the comfortaghans today as I am still woozy.
Hubby says I should relax and watch movies for the next day or two
before I try to consentrate on anything that takes mind thought.
Coggie
Mischief > wrote in message >...
> I have started working on gifts for Christmas.
>
> One crocheted afghan for a good friend
> Crocheting an angel for my parents
>
> Don't know what else I am going to make yet.
>
> Darlene in Toronto
> http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten
>

> Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
> http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Rachel Gasperson
August 1st 03, 10:46 PM
I have lots of plans for Christmas presents, but am madly doing my knitting
for the local hospital. Need to get started!

Any ideas for motivation, other than only 4 months to get stuff done - panic
attack in the near future!

Rachel
"Coggie" > wrote in message
om...
> I have a few works that need to be started for christmas . I want to
> do up hubby an AirForce afghan I found , it is a graph pattern that
> will be done in sc. It has an F-15 on it which is the plane that he
> worked on and flew. I want to add his call sign to the side and his
> plane number to the tail.
> Also , I need to make up about 6 pairs of sox , 4 knitted and 2
> crocheted. I have one tableclothe half way completed and still need to
> make the second one up , one oval and one round. Both in pineapple so
> they do go fast.
> I also have 4 comfortaghans to do up long before Christmas ,and they
> will be mailed off . I am feeling a little better today , but am not
> going to chance doing the comfortaghans today as I am still woozy.
> Hubby says I should relax and watch movies for the next day or two
> before I try to consentrate on anything that takes mind thought.
> Coggie
> Mischief > wrote in message
> > I have started working on gifts for Christmas.
> >
> > One crocheted afghan for a good friend
> > Crocheting an angel for my parents
> >
> > Don't know what else I am going to make yet.
> >
> > Darlene in Toronto
> > http://members.rogers.com/craftkitten
> >

> > Sent using Virtual Access 5.50 - download your freeware copy now
> > http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

Laurie
August 3rd 03, 11:01 PM
I'm trying to take advantage of not working this summer and do a lot
of Christmas presents so I have an unrealistic plan.

Aunt and Uncle in England get wool scarves. They are already done in
the nummiest hand-dyed wool from Uraguay in my "Fisherman's Rib."
Pictures will be up later this month.

Best friend gets big casual crocheted pull over in something soft and
warm. She lives in Utah. She is also getting a scarf in a really
pretty novelty yarn of varigated greens.

Mom is getting a cross-stitched pillow of cherries. She already found
that dad gum it! She will also get a crocheted shell in silk I think.
Something gorgeous to wear under jackets. She lives in AZ so she
doesn't need anything warm.

New Sister-in-law will get the big casual crocheted pull over.

Brothers will both get big casual pull overs. (maybe, I haven't
thought them through yet)

Father is getting a scarf, step mother is getting one of those pretty
snood things. The tube scarf that you can pull over your head. Or a
wide scarf that is sewn together in the middle so it can be worn as a
hood with the scarf ends around the neck. And I think I will crochet
them each a stocking and fill them with goodies.

Santa will bring everyone a pair of crocheted socks.

And I am trying to crochet some dog coats to donate to greyhound
adoption groups for auction. Coats are big with greyhounds since they
have little fur and body fat. I may crochet christmas stockings for
them to fill and auction off.

Phew! I figure if I only get some of that list done I'll be happy!

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Katherine Burgess
August 3rd 03, 11:46 PM
Wow! Quite an ambitious list, Laurie. But I am sure that you will complete
it all.
Katherine

"Laurie" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm trying to take advantage of not working this summer and do a lot
> of Christmas presents so I have an unrealistic plan.
>
> Aunt and Uncle in England get wool scarves. They are already done in
> the nummiest hand-dyed wool from Uraguay in my "Fisherman's Rib."
> Pictures will be up later this month.
>
> Best friend gets big casual crocheted pull over in something soft and
> warm. She lives in Utah. She is also getting a scarf in a really
> pretty novelty yarn of varigated greens.
>
> Mom is getting a cross-stitched pillow of cherries. She already found
> that dad gum it! She will also get a crocheted shell in silk I think.
> Something gorgeous to wear under jackets. She lives in AZ so she
> doesn't need anything warm.
>
> New Sister-in-law will get the big casual crocheted pull over.
>
> Brothers will both get big casual pull overs. (maybe, I haven't
> thought them through yet)
>
> Father is getting a scarf, step mother is getting one of those pretty
> snood things. The tube scarf that you can pull over your head. Or a
> wide scarf that is sewn together in the middle so it can be worn as a
> hood with the scarf ends around the neck. And I think I will crochet
> them each a stocking and fill them with goodies.
>
> Santa will bring everyone a pair of crocheted socks.
>
> And I am trying to crochet some dog coats to donate to greyhound
> adoption groups for auction. Coats are big with greyhounds since they
> have little fur and body fat. I may crochet christmas stockings for
> them to fill and auction off.
>
> Phew! I figure if I only get some of that list done I'll be happy!
>
> Laurie
> Washougal, WA

Sue Carlson Dunn
August 11th 03, 07:53 PM
"Laurie" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm trying to take advantage of not working this summer and do a lot
> of Christmas presents so I have an unrealistic plan.
>
> Aunt and Uncle in England get wool scarves. They are already done
in
> the nummiest hand-dyed wool from Uraguay in my "Fisherman's Rib."
> Pictures will be up later this month.

8< ambitious list snipped >8

Would that be from Sanfelipesantiago on ebay? What shade did you buy?
I bought some of Marcos' lace weight yarn which is now metamorphosing
into scarves. Lovely and soft and so light.

--
Sue CD...quietly unravelling in Cumbria...
Pot Luck Crafts www.howhill.com

Laurie
August 12th 03, 11:44 PM
> Would that be from Sanfelipesantiago on ebay? What shade did you buy?
> I bought some of Marcos' lace weight yarn which is now metamorphosing
> into scarves. Lovely and soft and so light.

I got Manos Del Uruguay (I found their website at
http://www.manos.com.uy/english/colecciones/colecciones.htm) from my
LYS and I just loved it! The colors are heavenly but I really enjoyed
the variation in size of the yarn. From almost a cord to soft and
chunky. Made a really nice texture for the scarves.

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Sue Carlson Dunn
August 14th 03, 09:24 AM
"NoraBalcer" > wrote in message
> Sue,
>
> Is that the yarn you gave me?

It was from www.uruwool.com , which I think is a different company
from Manos del Uruguay, but sounds like the same sort of yarn from
Laurie's description of hers. I bought some lace weight, and also
some thick-and-thin spun worsted weight in plain colours. No
affiliation with the company, but I'd buy again - the products are
lovely and the owner is one of the most helpful chaps you could find.

NoraBalcer
August 14th 03, 03:25 PM
Hi Sue,

It works up beautiful, made a couple of six inch squares for the project.

Hugs,

Nora

Laurie
August 18th 03, 02:11 AM
> And where are these photos??? <g>
> Katherine

Well...it will be a few weeks. The film is still actually in the
camera waiting to be finished (going to wedding showers this week,
that should fix that!) and then they need to get processed before I'll
get digital images. I'll break down one of these days and get a
digital camera.

Laurie
Washougal, WA

Katherine Burgess
August 18th 03, 03:09 AM
"Laurie" wrote...
> > And where are these photos??? <g>
> > Katherine
>

> Well...it will be a few weeks. The film is still actually in the
> camera waiting to be finished (going to wedding showers this week,
> that should fix that!) and then they need to get processed before I'll
> get digital images. I'll break down one of these days and get a
> digital camera.

Just as long as you post them when you get them
Katherine

Google