PDA

View Full Version : Re: non-traditional patterns (knitted)

NoraBalcer
July 26th 03, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Don't know if this would fit what you are looking for but this came to mind.
Doll clothes and stuffed animals.

Nora

PEmpson181
July 26th 03, 06:18 PM
Check out the books on this web site:
http://www.frugalhaus.com/

Pat

spampot
July 26th 03, 06:39 PM
Have you tried socks?

bekee wrote:
> Hey there! I've only been knitting for a half a year, but I already fit most
> of the "knitaholic" requirements! :) I've done about 30 small pieces (hats,
> cell phone cozies, scarves, bags and the like) and I really enjoy the
> smaller projects that I can carry around and that don't take too long; since
> I usually only get time to knit on the weekend.
>
> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
> cover; strange stuff like that.
>
> Any links or help from anyone with an oddball collection of patterns? I've
> got a bunch of yarn to use up! :)
>

> ---

bekee
July 26th 03, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the frugalhaus link! I found a couple things on there that peaked
my interest.

spampot, it would appear that I have the one-sock syndrome. I should just
hunker down and finish a pair.

I also ordered a couple vintage pattern books, one of which has a knitted
steering wheel cover pattern. :)

"bekee" > wrote in message
> Hey there! I've only been knitting for a half a year, but I already fit
most
> of the "knitaholic" requirements! :) I've done about 30 small pieces
(hats,
> cell phone cozies, scarves, bags and the like) and I really enjoy the
> smaller projects that I can carry around and that don't take too long;
since
> I usually only get time to knit on the weekend.
>
> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
> cover; strange stuff like that.
>
> Any links or help from anyone with an oddball collection of patterns? I've
> got a bunch of yarn to use up! :)

---

Mary
July 26th 03, 11:15 PM
"bekee" > wrote in message >...
> Hey there! I've only been knitting for a half a year, but I already fit most
I take my small bits of yarn and make sweaters for children -- I get a
chance to test out various stitch patterns and color patterns, and the
kids get sweaters. I've never met a school administrator who doesn't
know who needs what. Patterns I like I write down for later, and
those I'm not wild about . . . well, I'm finished fairly soon!

:) I've done about 30 small pieces (hats,
> cell phone cozies, scarves, bags and the like) and I really enjoy the
> smaller projects that I can carry around and that don't take too long; since
> I usually only get time to knit on the weekend.
>
> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
> cover; strange stuff like that.
>
> Any links or help from anyone with an oddball collection of patterns? I've
> got a bunch of yarn to use up! :)
>

> ---

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 12:56 AM
"Anna MCM" wrote ...
> bekee wrote:
> >
> > What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> > pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think
of
> > what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> > quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> > patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering
wheel
> > cover; strange stuff like that.
> >
> Hi!
>
> Once I gave a link to a nice website with a very lovely ear covers
> pattern. Unfortunately the website doesnīt exist anymore, but maybe some
> of the contributors here have the link to the cached copy on Google (I
> tried to find it, but couldnīt). It was called pinwheel earcovers or
> something like that... someone here made them, I donīt remember who,
> sorry.
> For the abitual contributors here: it was the candle flame shawl
> website...

Was it the dragon's tooth ear cosy? This is the URL on my copy, but I am not
certain if it works or not:
http://www.balart.com/DRAGON.HTM
Katherine

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen
July 27th 03, 06:47 AM
What about some little dolls , always neat if you have kids , and also
neat as presents for friends , mine just `steal` them ,,,
here a neat idea, i saw some small cloth bags and add a little knitted
doll as a holder for money or keys ,,,,
mirjam

>bekee wrote:
>>
>> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
>> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
>> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
>> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
>> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
>> cover; strange stuff like that.
>>
>Hi!
>
>Once I gave a link to a nice website with a very lovely ear covers
>pattern. Unfortunately the website doesnīt exist anymore, but maybe some
>of the contributors here have the link to the cached copy on Google (I
>tried to find it, but couldnīt). It was called pinwheel earcovers or
>something like that... someone here made them, I donīt remember who,
>sorry.
>For the abitual contributors here: it was the candle flame shawl
>website...
>
>Bye,
>
>Anna Maria

Anna MCM
July 27th 03, 09:27 AM
Katherine Burgess wrote:

> Was it the dragon's tooth ear cosy? This is the URL on my copy, but I am not
> certain if it works or not:
> http://www.balart.com/DRAGON.HTM
> Katherine

Yes, it was!!!
I searched again on google, but no cached copy anymore :-( Sorry...
Hugs,

Anna Maria

Jane
July 27th 03, 10:32 AM
"Anna MCM" > wrote in message
> Katherine Burgess wrote:
> >
> > Was it the dragon's tooth ear cosy? This is the URL on my copy, but I am
not
> > certain if it works or not:
> > http://www.balart.com/DRAGON.HTM
> > Katherine
>
> Yes, it was!!!
> I searched again on google, but no cached copy anymore :-( Sorry...
> Hugs,
>
> Anna Maria

Here it is, though the pic is long gone:

http://tinyurl.com/i6l1

Jane

Anna MCM
July 27th 03, 10:52 AM
Jane wrote:

> Here it is, though the pic is long gone:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/i6l1

Thanks!!!

Anna Maria

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 02:36 PM
"Anna MCM" wrote ...
> Katherine Burgess wrote:
> >
> > Was it the dragon's tooth ear cosy? This is the URL on my copy, but I am
not
> > certain if it works or not:
> > http://www.balart.com/DRAGON.HTM
> > Katherine
>
> Yes, it was!!!
> I searched again on google, but no cached copy anymore :-( Sorry...

So the link worked, then. Glad I could help.
Hugs,
Katherine

spampot
July 27th 03, 03:39 PM
Anna MCM wrote:
> Jane wrote:
>
>>Here it is, though the pic is long gone:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/i6l1
>>

> Thanks!!!
>
> Anna Maria

I thought I had saved all the patterns from the balart.com link, but I
don't seem to have the one I want most, the Pinwheel Hat. Did anyone
else save it? I printed it out and now can't find the paper, of course!

spampot
July 28th 03, 12:43 AM
Anna MCM wrote:
> spampot wrote:
>
>>I thought I had saved all the patterns from the balart.com link, but I
>>don't seem to have the one I want most, the Pinwheel Hat. Did anyone
>>else save it? I printed it out and now can't find the paper, of course!
>

> This web.archive thing is great!
>
> Here you find the Pinwheel Hat pattern:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/i71u
>
> Hope the link works, otherwise go to the ear cozy page and click on the
> empty rectangle at the bottom of the page, you should get the index of
> the knitting page...
>
> Hugs,
>
> Anna Maria

WONDERFUL! Thank you! However did you do it? I clicked all over that
archive page and couldn't find it.

Katherine Burgess
July 28th 03, 02:27 AM
"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .

> Anna MCM wrote:
> > spampot wrote:
> >
> >>I thought I had saved all the patterns from the balart.com link, but I
> >>don't seem to have the one I want most, the Pinwheel Hat. Did anyone
> >>else save it? I printed it out and now can't find the paper, of
course!

> > This web.archive thing is great!
> >
> > Here you find the Pinwheel Hat pattern:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/i71u
> >
> > Hope the link works, otherwise go to the ear cozy page and click on the
> > empty rectangle at the bottom of the page, you should get the index of
> > the knitting page...
> >
> > Hugs,
> >
> > Anna Maria
>
> Awesome hat!!! I have to make one of those, that is really unusual!
Thanks
> for posting the link.

You know, it is so funny. I had been going through my printed off patterns
last night, and found that one, and had just decided to make it. And now,
here you all are, talking about it. Cue Twilight Zone music here!
Katherine

spampot
July 28th 03, 02:58 AM
Karen wrote:
> Anna MCM wrote:
> > spampot wrote:
> >
> >>I thought I had saved all the patterns from the balart.com link, but I
> >>don't seem to have the one I want most, the Pinwheel Hat. Did anyone
> >>else save it? I printed it out and now can't find the paper, of course!
> >

> > This web.archive thing is great!
> >
> > Here you find the Pinwheel Hat pattern:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/i71u
> >
> > Hope the link works, otherwise go to the ear cozy page and click on the
> > empty rectangle at the bottom of the page, you should get the index of
> > the knitting page...
> >
> > Hugs,
> >
> > Anna Maria
>
> Awesome hat!!! I have to make one of those, that is really unusual! Thanks
> for posting the link.

I made the hat, gave it to a friend, then made the ear cozy,
and stitched it to her hat, and it covered much more of her
head and looks very dramatic. Next I'm going to try to knit
the ear cozy right onto the edge of the hat!

Noreen's Knit*che
July 28th 03, 04:22 AM
In article >,
says...

> You know, it is so funny. I had been going through my printed off patterns
> last night, and found that one, and had just decided to make it. And now,
> here you all are, talking about it. Cue Twilight Zone music here!
> Katherine

Which now started a whole NEW 'earworm', VEG.
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)

Katherine Burgess
July 28th 03, 01:51 PM
"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote
> says...
> >
> > You know, it is so funny. I had been going through my printed off
patterns
> > last night, and found that one, and had just decided to make it. And
now,
> > here you all are, talking about it. Cue Twilight Zone music here!
> > Katherine
> >
> Which now started a whole NEW 'earworm', VEG.

Well, if you are going to start earworms without lyrics, how about the theme
from Jaws? <g>
Katherine

Noreen's Knit*che
July 28th 03, 02:54 PM
In article >,
says...

> Well, if you are going to start earworms without lyrics, how about the theme
> from Jaws? <g>
> Katherine

Okay, the 1812 Overture... (theme from the Lone Ranger) GRIN and Gotcha!
Rotfl,
Hugs,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

Allaya Diep
July 28th 03, 06:13 PM
I got the coolest pattern from my LYS last week. It's by Fibertrends, but I
can't find it on their site for the life of me. Anyway, it's a mitered
diamond-shaped purse. I'm making mine out of more sensible yarn and using
it as a medium-sized knitting tote. :) Anybody who ever wanted to learn
about domino knitting, this is probably a good start (I would imagine).

www.knitty.com also has some interesting patterns for free. I really enjoy
that magazine. :)

Allaya

"bekee" > wrote in message
> Hey there! I've only been knitting for a half a year, but I already fit
most
> of the "knitaholic" requirements! :) I've done about 30 small pieces
(hats,
> cell phone cozies, scarves, bags and the like) and I really enjoy the
> smaller projects that I can carry around and that don't take too long;
since
> I usually only get time to knit on the weekend.
>
> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
> cover; strange stuff like that.
>
> Any links or help from anyone with an oddball collection of patterns? I've
> got a bunch of yarn to use up! :)
>

> ---

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 28th 03, 07:44 PM
Teaberry Shuffle as done by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass!

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

spampot
July 29th 03, 12:53 AM
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

>>Well, if you are going to start earworms without lyrics, how about the theme
>>from Jaws? <g>
>>Katherine
>>

> Okay, the 1812 Overture... (theme from the Lone Ranger) GRIN and Gotcha!
> Rotfl,
> Hugs,
> Noreen

Sorry, Noreen, the Lone Ranger theme was the William Tell overture by
Rossini (Tchaikovsky wrote the 1812 overture).

There was an old joke about how the definition of an intellectual was
someone who could hear the Wm. Tell overture w/out thinking of the Lone
Ranger...now out of date as today's kids, of course, even the
thirty-somethings, never saw the Lone Ranger!

spampot
July 29th 03, 12:56 AM
Anna MCM wrote:
> spampot wrote:
>

>>WONDERFUL! Thank you! However did you do it? I clicked all over that
>>archive page and couldn't find it.
>

> I just guessed about the existence of a "Home" button (it was a "ghost"
> button, like all the pics there) :-)
> The strange thing is that the link from the index to the pattern pages
> sometimes works sometimes doesnīt, so I strongly recommend to print the
> patterns out and/or copy them on the hard disk.
>
> Hugs,
>
> Anna Maria

Yes, I was sure I had copied all those patterns from the original
(balart.com) page, but I'd somehow missed the Pinwheel Hat.
Interestingly, I read at work today about various web resources for
cached copies; it recommended, among others, http://www.archive.org

Thanks again!

Norma
July 29th 03, 01:17 AM
"Noreen's Knit*che" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>
> > Well, if you are going to start earworms without lyrics, how about the
theme
> > from Jaws? <g>
> > Katherine
> >

> Okay, the 1812 Overture... (theme from the Lone Ranger) GRIN and Gotcha!
> Rotfl,
> Hugs,
> Noreen
>
>Bonanza!!!
running and ducking!
--
Norma ;-D

Stop talking while I'm interrupting!>

Katherine Burgess
July 29th 03, 03:56 AM
Duelling Banjos!
Katherine
/

Katherine Burgess
July 29th 03, 03:58 AM
"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote> >
> Okay, the 1812 Overture... (theme from the Lone Ranger) GRIN and Gotcha!

Check the title, my friend. You mean the William Tell Overture.
But the 1812 Overture is every bit as ear-wormy. <g>
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 29th 03, 03:59 AM
"Allaya Diep" wrote >
> www.knitty.com also has some interesting patterns for free. I really
enjoy
> that magazine. :)

Me, too, Allaya. I am planning to make some hats from the Lacy Hat pattern
in the latest issue.
Katherine

Els van Dam
July 29th 03, 05:20 AM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> "Noreen's Knit*che" wrote> >
> > Okay, the 1812 Overture... (theme from the Lone Ranger) GRIN and Gotcha!
>
> Check the title, my friend. You mean the William Tell Overture.
> But the 1812 Overture is every bit as ear-wormy. <g>
> Katherine

Yes and the end is not an earworm but earsplitting...we once listend to it
at an outdoor festival and The Haida a very old and worn out-of-serves
warship, in Toronto harbour, did the honour with the canon shots in the
end. It is Otto's favorite. Loves noisy music.

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Shillelagh
July 29th 03, 10:14 PM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> Els,
> That must have been fabulous to listen to! When I was a more proficient
> pianist than I am now (I just don't practice!), I used to play Tchaikovsky
> to work off angry moods. I felt that I could just pound on the piano like
> mad musician. LOL
> Katherine

I love Tchaikovsky - especially his Piano Concerto #1 - I think it was the
first classical piece I ever heard as a child. Years ago, Van Cliburn came
to Winnipeg and I went to the concert - he played it and was fabulous!!
And - only a couple of years ago, I went to hear a Russian pianist do the
same piece (please don't ask me his name - I can't remember). He got a
standing O, and gave me chills playing it!!

Also, when my daughter was young, she wanted piano lessons - all we could
afford was group lessons at Yamaha, and I went too. I've always wanted to
play - well, my daughter did very well - and I was amazed at what I learned
to play. They taught chords for the left hand, and then later I tried to
learn to read the left hand - aaaaaagh - but ...... I did learn a simplified
version of "Fur Elise" and was thrilled to play it passably. So - I totally
admire anyone who can play.

Shelagh

Els van Dam
July 29th 03, 10:34 PM
In article >, "Katherine
Burgess" > wrote:

> "Els van Dam" wrote
> "Katherine> Burgess" wrote:
> .
> > > But the 1812 Overture is every bit as ear-wormy. <g>
> >
> > Yes and the end is not an earworm but earsplitting...we once listend to it
> > at an outdoor festival and The Haida a very old and worn out-of-serves
> > warship, in Toronto harbour, did the honour with the canon shots in the
> > end. It is Otto's favorite. Loves noisy music.
>
> Els,
> That must have been fabulous to listen to! When I was a more proficient
> pianist than I am now (I just don't practice!), I used to play Tchaikovsky
> to work off angry moods. I felt that I could just pound on the piano like a
> mad musician. LOL
> Katherine

ah I still work off angry moods.....I throw dishes, pots and pans,
cuttlery etc about. It is a help. Playing the piano that way must be
great, everyone thinks you are letting go of all those wonderful artistic
feelings......In a mean time you are mummbling under your breath....."take
this and this and that as well"

All this takes me back some years, when my very best friend and i were
saying goodbuy to one and other on our frontsteps. Across the street a
woman dashed out of the house. She stopped in the middle of the street
and yelled at the top of her voice, shaking her fist, and stamping her
feet. My friend looked at me and said...." my oh my that looks good, I
often feel like doing that"........LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))

Katherine Burgess
July 30th 03, 01:30 AM
"Shillelagh" > wrote ...

> "Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
>
> > Els,
> > That must have been fabulous to listen to! When I was a more proficient
> > pianist than I am now (I just don't practice!), I used to play
Tchaikovsky
> > to work off angry moods. I felt that I could just pound on the piano
like
> > mad musician. LOL
> > Katherine
>
> I love Tchaikovsky - especially his Piano Concerto #1 - I think it was the
> first classical piece I ever heard as a child. Years ago, Van Cliburn
came
> to Winnipeg and I went to the concert - he played it and was fabulous!!
> And - only a couple of years ago, I went to hear a Russian pianist do the
> same piece (please don't ask me his name - I can't remember). He got a
> standing O, and gave me chills playing it!!
>
> Also, when my daughter was young, she wanted piano lessons - all we could
> afford was group lessons at Yamaha, and I went too. I've always wanted to
> play - well, my daughter did very well - and I was amazed at what I
learned
> to play. They taught chords for the left hand, and then later I tried to
> learn to read the left hand - aaaaaagh - but ...... I did learn a
simplified
> version of "Fur Elise" and was thrilled to play it passably. So - I
totally
> admire anyone who can play.

So do I, Shelagh. I should be able to play passably, but it still needs
more practice. <g>
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 30th 03, 01:33 AM
"Els van Dam wrote in message >>
> ah I still work off angry moods.....I throw dishes, pots and pans,
> cuttlery etc about. It is a help. Playing the piano that way must be
> great, everyone thinks you are letting go of all those wonderful artistic
> feelings......In a mean time you are mummbling under your breath....."take
> this and this and that as well"

And piano is definitely the best!!!

> All this takes me back some years, when my very best friend and i were
> saying goodbuy to one and other on our frontsteps. Across the street a
> woman dashed out of the house. She stopped in the middle of the street
> and yelled at the top of her voice, shaking her fist, and stamping her
> feet. My friend looked at me and said...." my oh my that looks good, I
> often feel like doing that"........LOL

Oh, I think that I could like your friend! <g>
Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 30th 03, 11:19 PM
| On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:19:40 GMT, "Stella Fenley" > wrote:

>remember ren ten ten,sky king, bat man
>wagon train,big valley,daniel boone,rifleman,big valley,shirley temple's
>song big ship lollipop.thats just a few more to share.Stella

Or how about this one:

"There's a hold up in the Bronx.
Brooklyn's broken out in fights.
There's traffic jam in Harlem,
That's backed up to Jackson Heights.
There's a scout troop short a child.
Kruschev's due at Idlewilde..."

Heh. heh. Shall I leave off the last line or are you all singing it
already?

"...Car 54, where are you!"

And "Charlie says" don't get me started on the commercials! ;)

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Noreen's Knit*che
July 30th 03, 11:33 PM
In article >, "Helen \"Halla\"
Fleischer" > says...
<snipped>

> And "Charlie says" don't get me started on the commercials! ;)

Charlie says,
Love my good n plenty
Charlie says,
Really rings my bell
Charlie says,
Love my good n plenty
don't know any other candy
that I love so well.

Ping! I HAD to do it.
lol,
Noreen

--
Noreen's Knit*che
(Knitting, Crocheting, Tatting & BobbinLace are my NICHE in life...)
NATA #447
(my family tree is FULL of 'nuts')

Katherine Burgess
July 31st 03, 02:25 AM
"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote ...
> | On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:19:40 GMT, "Stella Fenley" < wrote:
>
> >remember ren ten ten,sky king, bat man
> >wagon train,big valley,daniel boone,rifleman,big valley,shirley temple's
> >song big ship lollipop.thats just a few more to share.Stella
>
> Or how about this one:
>
> "There's a hold up in the Bronx.
> Brooklyn's broken out in fights.
> There's traffic jam in Harlem,
> That's backed up to Jackson Heights.
> There's a scout troop short a child.
> Kruschev's due at Idlewilde..."
>
> Heh. heh. Shall I leave off the last line or are you all singing it
> already?
>
> "...Car 54, where are you!"
>
> And "Charlie says" don't get me started on the commercials! ;)

LOL Yes, I was singing it already. How sad! <g>
Katherine

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 31st 03, 02:35 PM
Tee hee. That Good n'Plenty jingle had been rattling around in my head ever
since I suggested it. Pushed out Car 54 immediately. This morning my
reading is doing its best to push out the one I woke up with:

"..and Oz never did give nothing to the tin man,
that he didn't, didn't already have...."

Must have heard it on the oldies station recently. That is the worst kind
of ear worm because I know so few of the words.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 31st 03, 04:00 PM
"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote ...
> "Katherine Burgess" wrote:
>
> >> And "Charlie says" don't get me started on the commercials! ;)
> >
> >LOL Yes, I was singing it already. How sad! <g>
> >Katherine
>
> Almost as bad as whistling the Teaberry Shuffle!

We need to get lives!<g>
Katherine

AGRES
July 31st 03, 10:18 PM
I do small tightly knit "bags" that I fill with dried lavender* from the
garden. Some go in with our woolens into storage, and others go as small
gifts to friends at Christmas.

Knitting patterns are evolved from mitten patterns (without the thumb.)

*In the summer lavender gets cut, and spends a couple of days on a screen
drying in the sun. Then, I put a bunch in a heavy paper bag and shake hard.
Most flower buds come off. The buds spend a day in the sun. Then they go
into the freezer for a couple of days (uncovered). Then the buds are allowed
to come up to room temperature, any dust or small particles are sifted out,
the buds are tested for dryness, placed in sealed packages, and returned to
the freezer. (The sudden freeze, thaw, freeze cycle kills most insects.
Final storage in freezer maintains fragrance).

Gift bags of lavender flowers are made-up and distributed as holiday gifts,
and our bags of lavender are renewed with fresh lavender from the freezer in
the spring as we put woolens into storage.

Aaron

"bekee" > wrote in message
> Hey there! I've only been knitting for a half a year, but I already fit
most
> of the "knitaholic" requirements! :) I've done about 30 small pieces
(hats,
> cell phone cozies, scarves, bags and the like) and I really enjoy the
> smaller projects that I can carry around and that don't take too long;
since
> I usually only get time to knit on the weekend.
>
> What I'd like to find, without weeding through patterns for sweaters,
> pullovers, and wraps are "little" project patterns. I can't even think of
> what type of thing I'd like to knit, but you can only do so many
> quick-and-easy winter hats. I'd like to find some funky looking bag
> patterns, or just something that's rarely knitted.. like a steering wheel
> cover; strange stuff like that.
>
> Any links or help from anyone with an oddball collection of patterns? I've
> got a bunch of yarn to use up! :)
>

> ---

Kayrun
August 8th 03, 11:08 PM