PDA

View Full Version : Would you believe

SlinkyToy
July 24th 03, 07:52 PM
I went to the LYS today to buy a set of DPNs so I can start the sleeves of
my sweater...and I bought ONLY what I went in for!

I do have to say, the atmosphere in my LYS has changed over the last couple
of years. Until about 3 years ago there was another more knitting-oriented
store. The owner of that store retired, so the erstwhile weaving store has
picked up the slack. Now that handknitting is such a popular hobby she's
really gotten uptight about things. The place is stuffed with yarn, most if
it nothing I care to knit with -- nasty ribbons, eyelash, hairy mohair (yes,
I did buy some last week at a different YS but it was cheap on sale).

Today she had a knitting group in the front room blocking access to most of
the yarn I was interested in looking at - the sock yarns and the worsted
knitting yarns. Couldn't get there from here, which is probably a good
thing for my checkbook, but was irritating at the time.

I guess its a good thing I know how to spin!

SlinkyToy
July 24th 03, 09:01 PM
Nah, mostly I just wanted to bitch, er, complain. I had no intention of
buying yarn, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to pet some!

"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message
> I was about to say "congratulations", Slinky, but I guess that you are
> looking more for sympathy. Poor baby! Hope your yarn shop reverts to
> something more friendly to you.
> Do you feel better now? <g>
> Katherine
>
> "SlinkyToy" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > I went to the LYS today to buy a set of DPNs so I can start the sleeves
of
> > my sweater...and I bought ONLY what I went in for!
> >
> > I do have to say, the atmosphere in my LYS has changed over the last
> couple
> > of years. Until about 3 years ago there was another more
> knitting-oriented
> > store. The owner of that store retired, so the erstwhile weaving store
> has
> > picked up the slack. Now that handknitting is such a popular hobby
she's
> > really gotten uptight about things. The place is stuffed with yarn,
most
> if
> > it nothing I care to knit with -- nasty ribbons, eyelash, hairy mohair
> (yes,
> > I did buy some last week at a different YS but it was cheap on sale).
> >
> > Today she had a knitting group in the front room blocking access to most
> of
> > the yarn I was interested in looking at - the sock yarns and the worsted
> > knitting yarns. Couldn't get there from here, which is probably a good
> > thing for my checkbook, but was irritating at the time.
> >
> > I guess its a good thing I know how to spin!

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 25th 03, 03:33 PM
| On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:52:25 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:

>I went to the LYS today to buy a set of DPNs so I can start the sleeves of
>my sweater...and I bought ONLY what I went in for!

Well at that point I was ready to be proud of your will power. ;)

>I do have to say, the atmosphere in my LYS has changed over the last couple
>of years. Until about 3 years ago there was another more knitting-oriented
>store. The owner of that store retired, so the erstwhile weaving store has
>picked up the slack. Now that handknitting is such a popular hobby she's
>really gotten uptight about things. The place is stuffed with yarn, most if
>it nothing I care to knit with -- nasty ribbons, eyelash, hairy mohair (yes,
>I did buy some last week at a different YS but it was cheap on sale).

Ahem, some of us love nasty ribbons and eyelash, if not hairy mohair. ;)
For one thing these are things I cannot spin at home. My LYS stays in
business because of the popularity of those novelties for scarf knitting.
Otherwise she'd be hard up competing with Michael's and Walmart.

>Today she had a knitting group in the front room blocking access to most of
>the yarn I was interested in looking at - the sock yarns and the worsted
>knitting yarns. Couldn't get there from here, which is probably a good
>thing for my checkbook, but was irritating at the time.

Well, that's a bad problem if customers can't get to the displays! But
golly, fingering yarn and worsted DK are what I spin best! I do like the
commercial sock yarns, though, especially the computer-dyed self-patterning
ones made with superwash and that little bit of nylon for strength. I
haven't had to darn any socks since I switched to those.

>I guess its a good thing I know how to spin!

It is. It's a joy to make things all the way from fiber to finish, even
without such provocation. ;)

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

SlinkyToy
July 25th 03, 03:45 PM
Gosh, let a girl have a rant :)

This particular YS was doing fine business as a weaving shop. It was (back
then) the only place I could find decent cotton yarn to use for things like
baby sweaters and whatnot. With the advent of Helen's Yarn Barn (yes, that
was the shop's name) closing and knitting becoming a trendy activity, the
remaining, former weaving shop, has turned into a yuppified joint in which
her long-time customers (me) feel like outcasts. When the place is full of
trendy 30-somethings discussing their Louis Vuitton knock-off bags and their
Tods moccasins and shoppers with money in their pockets can't actually shop,
something is definitely wrong. IMO.

PS -- I *did* buy three sets of DPNs. On the theory that I'll want to work
both sleeves at once and probably will need more than four dpns to pick up
the sleeves initially. Never hurts to have spares. Ok, I *can* say a nice
thing about the "new and improved" LYS - she hasn't raised prices on needles
an iota in years. I paid $4 per set for INOX DPNs yesterday.

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> | On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 18:52:25 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:
>
> >I went to the LYS today to buy a set of DPNs so I can start the sleeves
of
> >my sweater...and I bought ONLY what I went in for!
>
> Well at that point I was ready to be proud of your will power. ;)

Helen \Halla\ Fleischer
July 25th 03, 04:23 PM
| On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:45:49 GMT, "SlinkyToy" > wrote:

>Gosh, let a girl have a rant :)

But of course!

>This particular YS was doing fine business as a weaving shop. It was (back
>then) the only place I could find decent cotton yarn to use for things like
>baby sweaters and whatnot. With the advent of Helen's Yarn Barn (yes, that
>was the shop's name) closing and knitting becoming a trendy activity, the
>remaining, former weaving shop, has turned into a yuppified joint in which
>her long-time customers (me) feel like outcasts. When the place is full of
>trendy 30-somethings discussing their Louis Vuitton knock-off bags and their
>Tods moccasins and shoppers with money in their pockets can't actually shop,
>something is definitely wrong. IMO.

I know the feeling. One of our MD weaving stores did that, too. Now it
isn't worth the trip, since it's 90% the same stuff as my LYS and at higher
prices. Oh, but I would love to have gone to your shop when it was Helen's
Yarn Barn! I used to buy my purses from a shop called Helen's Handbags. I
have a soft spot for such names. ;) I guess the desperate hope of yarn shop
owners is that by hooking bored yuppies on knitting, they can keep their
heads above water, now and in the future if they continue the habit. But
never at the expense of making it difficult for anyone to shop! That's a
big no-no in my book.

>PS -- I *did* buy three sets of DPNs. On the theory that I'll want to work
>both sleeves at once and probably will need more than four dpns to pick up
>the sleeves initially. Never hurts to have spares. Ok, I *can* say a nice
>thing about the "new and improved" LYS - she hasn't raised prices on needles
>an iota in years. I paid $4 per set for INOX DPNs yesterday.

I don't think the wholesale on those has gone up in all that time, either,
because the same is true at my LYS. I have the same theory on spares and I
love to work sleeves at the same time, especially when I'm making them up
as I go along.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Claire
July 25th 03, 11:18 PM
I must admit that I am awfully envious of you guys having so many places
around you that sell yarn. It (knitting) doesn't seem to really have caught
on over here (UK) quite as much and finding a small independent yarn shop is
like looking for hen's teeth. And even those are more haberdashers than wool
shops so have very little choice. My nearest is nearly an hour away which is
a nuisance when I find that I don't have the right sized needles or have
lost my stitch holder (yet again) or just have the urge to satisfy my
wool-obsessed consumerism. Apart from the occasional guilty foray into John
Lewis' I've been trying to support small businesses by using the old
fashioned wool shops but have had so little luck finding a good one since I
moved that today I went to the Hobbycraft superstore and have now been
converted to the Dark Side. There was so much choice! (The department store
had given over half the wool space to garden furniture so I had to try the
big out-of-town shops)

I must admit that the experience was all the more enjoyable as I had free
rein to indulge my yarn fetish as much as I wanted. I have a really good
excuse - for the first time I know in advance what colour to knit the
bootees! Pink!

Claire
(gleefully counting her skeins in many shades of girly pink)

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" > wrote in message
> | On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:45:49 GMT, "SlinkyToy"
> wrote:
>
> >Gosh, let a girl have a rant :)
>
> But of course!
>
> >This particular YS was doing fine business as a weaving shop. It was
(back
> >then) the only place I could find decent cotton yarn to use for things
like
> >baby sweaters and whatnot. With the advent of Helen's Yarn Barn (yes,
that
> >was the shop's name) closing and knitting becoming a trendy activity, the
> >remaining, former weaving shop, has turned into a yuppified joint in
which
> >her long-time customers (me) feel like outcasts. When the place is full
of
> >trendy 30-somethings discussing their Louis Vuitton knock-off bags and
their
> >Tods moccasins and shoppers with money in their pockets can't actually
shop,
> >something is definitely wrong. IMO.
>
> I know the feeling. One of our MD weaving stores did that, too. Now it
> isn't worth the trip, since it's 90% the same stuff as my LYS and at
higher
> prices. Oh, but I would love to have gone to your shop when it was Helen's
> Yarn Barn! I used to buy my purses from a shop called Helen's Handbags. I
> have a soft spot for such names. ;) I guess the desperate hope of yarn
shop
> owners is that by hooking bored yuppies on knitting, they can keep their
> heads above water, now and in the future if they continue the habit. But
> never at the expense of making it difficult for anyone to shop! That's a
> big no-no in my book.
>
> >PS -- I *did* buy three sets of DPNs. On the theory that I'll want to
work
> >both sleeves at once and probably will need more than four dpns to pick
up
> >the sleeves initially. Never hurts to have spares. Ok, I *can* say a
nice
> >thing about the "new and improved" LYS - she hasn't raised prices on
needles
> >an iota in years. I paid $4 per set for INOX DPNs yesterday.
>
> I don't think the wholesale on those has gone up in all that time, either,
> because the same is true at my LYS. I have the same theory on spares and I
> love to work sleeves at the same time, especially when I'm making them up
> as I go along.
>

> Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
> Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
> http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 03:31 AM
"Claire" wrote
<snip>
.. Apart from the occasional guilty foray into John
> Lewis' I've been trying to support small businesses by using the old
> fashioned wool shops but have had so little luck finding a good one since
> moved that today I went to the Hobbycraft superstore and have now been
> converted to the Dark Side.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Claire! We all live here, quite happily. <g>
Katherine

Ophelia
July 26th 03, 08:57 AM
"Claire" > wrote in message
> I must admit that I am awfully envious of you guys having so many places
> around you that sell yarn. It (knitting) doesn't seem to really have
caught
> on over here (UK) quite as much and finding a small independent yarn shop
is
> like looking for hen's teeth.

I am in Scotland Claire and the only place I can get decent wool is in John
Lewis. I always wait for my annual trip down to Yorkshire and stock up
then. There is a super wool shop in Thirsk and when I was down there a few
weeks ago they had a sale:))))

And even those are more haberdashers than wool
> shops so have very little choice. My nearest is nearly an hour away which
is
> a nuisance when I find that I don't have the right sized needles or have
> lost my stitch holder (yet again) or just have the urge to satisfy my
> wool-obsessed consumerism. Apart from the occasional guilty foray into
John
> Lewis' I've been trying to support small businesses by using the old
> fashioned wool shops but have had so little luck finding a good one since
> moved that today I went to the Hobbycraft superstore and have now been
> converted to the Dark Side. There was so much choice! (The department
store

Where is there a Hobbycraft shop?? I am not sure we get them up here:( I
would love to visit one though next time I am south of the border.

> had given over half the wool space to garden furniture so I had to try the
> big out-of-town shops)

It is very good to support local shops but you first have to find them:(

Ophelia

SlinkyToy
July 26th 03, 02:35 PM
Ophelia --

Jamieson&Smith Woolbrokers in Lerwick on Shetland do mail order and their
stuff is to die for. Order a color card and a single hank of say, natural
white jumper weight. Then you'll know the hand of the yarn AND have the
entire color line at your disposal.

Michelle
Who has an entire bin of J&S at UK prices thanks to a friend near Reading
and who needs to start knitting it up one of these years

PS -- the one "wool shop" I found in the Hampshire/Reading area when I was
there a few years ago was populated largely by tacky handicrafts and a huge
woman who smoked like a chimney. All the wool were wee DK skeins in two
bins directly under the worst of the smog. I bought one at 30p so that I
could say I had some British yarn. Then I heard about J&S...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Claire" > wrote in message
> > I must admit that I am awfully envious of you guys having so many places
> > around you that sell yarn. It (knitting) doesn't seem to really have
> caught
> > on over here (UK) quite as much and finding a small independent yarn
shop
> is
> > like looking for hen's teeth.
>
> I am in Scotland Claire and the only place I can get decent wool is in
John
> Lewis. I always wait for my annual trip down to Yorkshire and stock up
> then. There is a super wool shop in Thirsk and when I was down there a
few
> weeks ago they had a sale:))))
>
> And even those are more haberdashers than wool
> > shops so have very little choice. My nearest is nearly an hour away
which
> is
> > a nuisance when I find that I don't have the right sized needles or have
> > lost my stitch holder (yet again) or just have the urge to satisfy my
> > wool-obsessed consumerism. Apart from the occasional guilty foray into
> John
> > Lewis' I've been trying to support small businesses by using the old
> > fashioned wool shops but have had so little luck finding a good one
since
> > moved that today I went to the Hobbycraft superstore and have now been
> > converted to the Dark Side. There was so much choice! (The department
> store
>
> Where is there a Hobbycraft shop?? I am not sure we get them up here:( I
> would love to visit one though next time I am south of the border.
>
> > had given over half the wool space to garden furniture so I had to try
the
> > big out-of-town shops)
>
> It is very good to support local shops but you first have to find them:(
>
> Ophelia

SlinkyToy
July 26th 03, 03:28 PM
http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/

Just between you, me, and the 3k other readers of this list, J&S is thought
to be the supplier for VY yarns (ie, AS yarns).

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Thank you Slinky:))
>
> I shall investigate further:) Is there a website or phone number please?

> > Jamieson&Smith Woolbrokers in Lerwick on Shetland do mail order and
their
> > stuff is to die for. Order a color card and a single hank of say,
natural
> > white jumper weight. Then you'll know the hand of the yarn AND have the
> > entire color line at your disposal.
> >
> > Michelle
> > Who has an entire bin of J&S at UK prices thanks to a friend near
Reading
> > and who needs to start knitting it up one of these years
> >
> > PS -- the one "wool shop" I found in the Hampshire/Reading area when I
was
> > there a few years ago was populated largely by tacky handicrafts and a
> huge
> > woman who smoked like a chimney. All the wool were wee DK skeins in two
> > bins directly under the worst of the smog. I bought one at 30p so that
> > could say I had some British yarn. Then I heard about J&S...

> places
> > > caught
> > shop
> > > is
> > >
> > > I am in Scotland Claire and the only place I can get decent wool is in
> > John
> > > Lewis. I always wait for my annual trip down to Yorkshire and stock
up
> > > then. There is a super wool shop in Thirsk and when I was down there
> > few
> > > weeks ago they had a sale:))))
> > >
> > > And even those are more haberdashers than wool
> > which
> > > is
> have
> > > John
> > since
> > > store
> > >
> > > Where is there a Hobbycraft shop?? I am not sure we get them up
> here:( I
> > > would love to visit one though next time I am south of the border.

> > the
> > >
> > > It is very good to support local shops but you first have to find
them:(

> > > Ophelia

Ophelia
July 26th 03, 04:39 PM
Thank you again Slinky:))

Ophelia

"> http://www.shetland-wool-brokers.zetnet.co.uk/

> Just between you, me, and the 3k other readers of this list, J&S is
thought
> to be the supplier for VY yarns (ie, AS yarns).
>

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > Thank you Slinky:))
> >
> > I shall investigate further:) Is there a website or phone number
please?

> > > Jamieson&Smith Woolbrokers in Lerwick on Shetland do mail order and
> their
> > > stuff is to die for. Order a color card and a single hank of say,
> natural
> > > white jumper weight. Then you'll know the hand of the yarn AND have
the
> > > entire color line at your disposal.
> > >
> > > Michelle
> > > Who has an entire bin of J&S at UK prices thanks to a friend near
> Reading
> > > and who needs to start knitting it up one of these years
> > >
> > > PS -- the one "wool shop" I found in the Hampshire/Reading area when I
> was
> > > there a few years ago was populated largely by tacky handicrafts and a
> > huge
> > > woman who smoked like a chimney. All the wool were wee DK skeins in
two
> > > bins directly under the worst of the smog. I bought one at 30p so
that
> > > could say I had some British yarn. Then I heard about J&S...

> > places
> > > shop

> > > John
> up
> > > few

> > > which
> > have
> my
> into
> > > since
> been
> department

> > here:( I

> try
> > > the

> them:(

Ophelia
July 26th 03, 04:42 PM
"NoraBalcer" > wrote in message
> Auntie O,
>
> Now did you buy any yarn at the yarn sale? I wouldn't be able to resist.

Oh gosh yes. I filled up half the car.. and it is an estate (station
waggon) :)))))

It will keep me out of mischief until I can get down again:))

Auntie O xx

Ophelia
July 26th 03, 05:04 PM
"NoraBalcer" > wrote in message
> Auntie O,
>
> What kind and color yarn and what are you going to make, something for the
> grandson I hope.

I got a mixture of colours. Some I have no idea what I will make.. isn't it
exciting:) The only colours I got deliberately was those I need to make a
football scarf and hat:) I have a step grandson who is 14 and he supports
a team:)) I am still waiting for the answer from him for the way the
colours must be done.

I bought mostly double knitting wool and some cotton to make my daughter a
nice summer top:) That is in a lovely blue. I had tried to get wool from
the department store in Glasgow where I usually have to go but they only
have cotton becaue it is summer. This is not too much use to me because
this is the time of year when I knit all the jerseys for my wee grandson to
keep him warm over the winter. I can't start knitting them in November
*duh*

At present I am knitting a jersey for Daniel with a hood and a kangeroo
pocket at the front and a wool jumper for Samantha (my daughter) for the
winter.

I still haven't put the together the afgan I am making for Daniel using all
the left over wool from all the clothes I have made him in the past. I
have plenty to keep me busy:)))

love
Auntie O xx

NoraBalcer
July 26th 03, 06:05 PM
Auntie O,

Wow, you sure are a busy lady and I agree about making things in the summer to
have ready for the cold.

Hugs,

Nora

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 06:58 PM
"Ophelia" wrote ...

> "NoraBalcer" wrote ..
> > Auntie O,
> >
> > What kind and color yarn and what are you going to make, something for
the
> > grandson I hope.
>
> I got a mixture of colours. Some I have no idea what I will make.. isn't
it
> exciting:) The only colours I got deliberately was those I need to make a
> football scarf and hat:) I have a step grandson who is 14 and he
supports
> a team:)) I am still waiting for the answer from him for the way the
> colours must be done.
>
> I bought mostly double knitting wool and some cotton to make my daughter a
> nice summer top:) That is in a lovely blue. I had tried to get wool from
> the department store in Glasgow where I usually have to go but they only
> have cotton becaue it is summer. This is not too much use to me because
> this is the time of year when I knit all the jerseys for my wee grandson
> keep him warm over the winter. I can't start knitting them in November
> *duh*
>
> At present I am knitting a jersey for Daniel with a hood and a kangeroo
> pocket at the front and a wool jumper for Samantha (my daughter) for the
> winter.
>
> I still haven't put the together the afgan I am making for Daniel using
all
> the left over wool from all the clothes I have made him in the past. I
> have plenty to keep me busy:)))

You sound like the rest of us! Too many projects, not enough time!
Katherine

Ophelia
July 26th 03, 08:31 PM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" wrote ...
> >
> > "NoraBalcer" wrote ..
> > > Auntie O,
> > >
> > > What kind and color yarn and what are you going to make, something for
> the
> > > grandson I hope.
> >
> > I got a mixture of colours. Some I have no idea what I will make..
isn't
> it
> > exciting:) The only colours I got deliberately was those I need to make
> > football scarf and hat:) I have a step grandson who is 14 and he
> supports
> > a team:)) I am still waiting for the answer from him for the way the
> > colours must be done.
> >
> > I bought mostly double knitting wool and some cotton to make my daughter
> > nice summer top:) That is in a lovely blue. I had tried to get wool
from
> > the department store in Glasgow where I usually have to go but they only
> > have cotton becaue it is summer. This is not too much use to me
because
> > this is the time of year when I knit all the jerseys for my wee grandson
> > keep him warm over the winter. I can't start knitting them in November
> > *duh*
> >
> > At present I am knitting a jersey for Daniel with a hood and a kangeroo
> > pocket at the front and a wool jumper for Samantha (my daughter) for the
> > winter.
> >
> > I still haven't put the together the afgan I am making for Daniel using
> all
> > the left over wool from all the clothes I have made him in the past. I
> > have plenty to keep me busy:)))
>
> You sound like the rest of us! Too many projects, not enough time!

it certainly is.but I hope I will be better placed to get on with it now.

Katherine Burgess
July 26th 03, 08:46 PM
"Ophelia" wrote> !

> it certainly is.but I hope I will be better placed to get on with it now.

OH? Something happening to give you extra time? Or is your knee still wonky
and you have to rest it???
Katherine

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 12:59 AM
"Claire" wrote >
> Hobbycraft are a chain and they have a website which shows their
locations:
> http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/
> Warning- they can be a little addictive- I'm already planning a return
trip.
> And I bought far more than I intended. Even my ten year old found
something
> to work on over the summer holidays. I've a nasty feeling we are going to
> end up with a plaster cast of the baby...

LOL As long as baby co-operates!
Katherine

Claire
July 27th 03, 01:21 AM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> "Claire" wrote >
> > Hobbycraft are a chain and they have a website which shows their
> locations:
> > http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/
> > Warning- they can be a little addictive- I'm already planning a return
> trip.
> > And I bought far more than I intended. Even my ten year old found
> something
> > to work on over the summer holidays. I've a nasty feeling we are going
> > end up with a plaster cast of the baby...
>
> LOL As long as baby co-operates!
> Katherine

If it's messy then she'll love it!

Claire

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 01:21 AM
"Claire" wrote
> "Katherine Burgess" < wrote > >
> > "Claire" wrote >
> > > Hobbycraft are a chain and they have a website which shows their
> > locations:
> > > http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/
> > > Warning- they can be a little addictive- I'm already planning a return
> > trip.
> > > And I bought far more than I intended. Even my ten year old found
> > something
> > > to work on over the summer holidays. I've a nasty feeling we are going
> > > end up with a plaster cast of the baby...
> >
> > LOL As long as baby co-operates!
> > Katherine
> >

> If it's messy then she'll love it!

And you'll be there to clean it up! <g>
Katherine

Claire
July 27th 03, 01:27 AM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> "Claire" wrote
> > "Katherine Burgess" < wrote > >
> > > "Claire" wrote >
> > > locations:
> > > trip.
> > > something
> > >
> > > LOL As long as baby co-operates!
> > > Katherine
> > >

> > If it's messy then she'll love it!
>
> And you'll be there to clean it up! <g>
> Katherine

I'd forgotten how much mess babies make! There's been a ten year gap between
my first two children and nowadays I seem to have a wet cloth permanently in
one hand. Once Number 3 arrives I'm going to have to laminate the house! If
she's not chewing on it then she's christening it with a bottle of milk or
rubbing in some rusk just for the fun of it. Thank goodness my carpet is
biscuit coloured!

Claire

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 03:56 AM
"Claire" wrote ...

> "Katherine Burgess" wrote > >
> > "Claire" wrote
> > > "Katherine Burgess" < wrote > >
> return
> going

> > > If it's messy then she'll love it!
> >
> > And you'll be there to clean it up! <g>
> > Katherine
> >

> I'd forgotten how much mess babies make! There's been a ten year gap
between
> my first two children and nowadays I seem to have a wet cloth permanently
in
> one hand. Once Number 3 arrives I'm going to have to laminate the house!
If
> she's not chewing on it then she's christening it with a bottle of milk or
> rubbing in some rusk just for the fun of it. Thank goodness my carpet is
> biscuit coloured!

LOL Biscuit coloured carpet! Perfect!
So how old will the current baby be when the new one arrives???
Katherine

Ophelia
July 27th 03, 08:15 AM
"Claire" > wrote in message
> Dear Ophelia
>
> Hobbycraft are a chain and they have a website which shows their
locations:
> http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/
> Warning- they can be a little addictive- I'm already planning a return
trip.
> And I bought far more than I intended. Even my ten year old found
something
> to work on over the summer holidays. I've a nasty feeling we are going to
> end up with a plaster cast of the baby...

LOL.. thank you Claire:))

I will check and see where my nearest store is:))

Ophelia

Katherine Burgess
July 27th 03, 02:35 PM
"Claire" wrote

> "Katherine Burgess" wrote > >
> > "Claire" wrote ...
> > >
> > > "Katherine Burgess" wrote > >
> > > I'd forgotten how much mess babies make! There's been a ten year gap
> > between
> > > my first two children and nowadays I seem to have a wet cloth
> permanently
> > in
> > > one hand. Once Number 3 arrives I'm going to have to laminate the
house!
> > If
> > > she's not chewing on it then she's christening it with a bottle of
milk
> or
> > > rubbing in some rusk just for the fun of it. Thank goodness my carpet
is
> > > biscuit coloured!
> >
> > LOL Biscuit coloured carpet! Perfect!
> > So how old will the current baby be when the new one arrives???
> > Katherine
> >

> Fourteen months. But I'm trying not to think about that! My first two took
> forever to 'appear' so when we decided that one more would complete the
set
> we weren't expecting any happy news till at least autumn - seems like
Number
> 3 has a mind of its own though. Especially going by the all the scans
which
> had to be repeated as it wouldn't co-operate and kept hiding.
>
> Must stop calling it 'it', too. Since Thursday we know it's a she!

Hmmm, I wonder if this is an omen of things to come? <g>
Katherine

NoraBalcer
July 27th 03, 08:34 PM
Claire,

What happy news for you, now when is your little girl due to arrive?

Hugs,

Nora

Claire
July 28th 03, 12:39 AM
"Katherine Burgess" > wrote in message

> "Claire" wrote
> >
> > "Katherine Burgess" wrote > >
> > > "Claire" wrote ...

> > > between
> > permanently
> > > in
> house!
> > > If
> milk
> > or
> is
> > >
> > > LOL Biscuit coloured carpet! Perfect!
> > > So how old will the current baby be when the new one arrives???
> > > Katherine
> > >

> > Fourteen months. But I'm trying not to think about that! My first two
took
> > forever to 'appear' so when we decided that one more would complete the
> set
> > we weren't expecting any happy news till at least autumn - seems like
> Number
> > 3 has a mind of its own though. Especially going by the all the scans
> which
> > had to be repeated as it wouldn't co-operate and kept hiding.
> >
> > Must stop calling it 'it', too. Since Thursday we know it's a she!
>
> Hmmm, I wonder if this is an omen of things to come? <g>
> Katherine

Undoubtedly! Number 2 was equally awkward when it came to check-ups (had
trouble finding her heartbeat as she'd move away) and scans were done THREE
times as she wouldn't lie still to be measured and somersaulted at the
crucial moments. She is still just as determined not to co-operate now that
she has been born - trying to get her dressed is like trying to thread a
small pink octopus into a rubber glove!

Claire

Claire
July 28th 03, 12:41 AM
Officially she should come out around the end of November but none of mine
have been punctual yet! So probably the first week of December. I have a
long list of things to do to encourage an exit and will get started on them
on the very day I am due! Six months (nearly) in and I'm fed up with being
pregnant! And I haven't seen my toes for years!

Claire

"NoraBalcer" > wrote in message
> Claire,
>
> What happy news for you, now when is your little girl due to arrive?
>
> Hugs,
>
> Nora

Katherine Burgess
July 28th 03, 02:24 AM
"Claire" wrote >>> >
> Undoubtedly! Number 2 was equally awkward when it came to check-ups (had
> trouble finding her heartbeat as she'd move away) and scans were done
THREE
> times as she wouldn't lie still to be measured and somersaulted at the
> crucial moments. She is still just as determined not to co-operate now
that
> she has been born - trying to get her dressed is like trying to thread a
> small pink octopus into a rubber glove!

Oh, I LOVE that description! And I can picture it so well.
Katherine

Google